Animation 2da files

Miloch

Well I did another test by giving Imoen only an ATTACK1 sound, something loud and without text like a lion's roar. Had her join, cranked all the volumes up and had her attack something. Didn't hear a damn thing.

The HEAD_TURN seems to fire only occasionally if the CRE (even one with a BG2 animation) is just sitting there but quite a bit when it moves about. So it probably isn't too practical for a "fidget" sound. On the other hand, you don't want to use PICKED_POCKET either if you don't want the sound firing during combat. If it's something innocuous, it might be alright.

I wouldn't use a PC (nor any C* animated character). Try it on something like a gibberling or one of the IWD imports (these may be style slots (I can't remember), which means ATTACK1 is "slash" through ATTACK4, which would be "shoot").

I know it works in BG/TotSC (where they actually use these slots, but with the caveat that a wielded weapon breaks it or something like that; I add a missing one to hobgoblins, but it doesn't make any actual difference since they all wield player swords), and I'm certain that I must have had it working somehow in ToB since I know that the pitch adjustment happens when they're from the CRE too, not just the 2DA.

You can always include a script that turns off the EXISTANCE sounds when it comes time to fight, if that would work (Allegiance(Myself,255) && See([30]) && Stuff() { SetPlayerSound(-1,PICKED_POCKET) })?

ATTACK1 didn't work with a gibberling either. All I got was the giber03.wav about 1/3 of the time, which is right since the 2da ATTACK entry is "giber03 nosound nosound". So I blanked the 2da and tried it again - got nothing for the attack sound.

It could well be it works only in BG1, but I'm fairly certain at this point it doesn't work in ToB. I've done several different permutations of CRE/weapon/sound/table combinations.

Scripting probably goes a bit beyond what we are doing, especially since it involves mass-modification of creatures and who knows what other scripts they've got. But I think PICKED_POCKET will be ok for "fidget" sounds as long as the clips don't have text or don't drag on a while (most probably don't).

I just tried it (my memory can't be that bad!) and it seems to work OK in ToB here. I turned MGIB.2DA to ATTACK *** (from the giber03 nosound nosound), saved GIBBERSU.CRE with the halfling sounds (4924-4926) for ATTACK1-3 (0xDC-0xE4), and ran CreateCreatureObject("GibberSu",Player2,0,0,0).

Every time it smacked Imoen, it ran the sound (only ever ATTACK1, which I had set to 4926, but I didn't listen to see if it would switch with attack styles; probably only ATTACK1 works is what I was remembering in earlier posts). The accompanying string is not displayed (only the sound is played, with no visual feedback). (And for a vocal sound like this, you'll immediately pick up on the pitch changes; sounds like somebody's got hold of his short and curlies, and yes, I am referring to his feet.)

It would be incredible for this to work differently at the engine level in the Mac version; maybe toggle your EAX settings (which can do stupid stuff with some of the audio channels in IE, apparently)? But if it doesn't work for you, certainly, you can't really rely on it; since the fidget sounds are all non-vocal, I agree they shouldn't really be out of place in combat with PICKED_POCKET.

It could well be it works only in BG1, but I'm fairly certain at this point it doesn't work in ToB. I've done several different permutations of CRE/weapon/sound/table combinations.

Attack1 should always "work" in ToB if it's not been deactivated in your sound settings, provided the following condition is met: you're using a fake weapon with SHORT_AT 0x1c = 0x00 (type = misc) in the item header. At least, I recall it being based on item type rather than proficiency. Using real weapons will result in whatever sound entry you have here being overwritten by the weapon specific default swooshes. Otherwise, they play (even for PCs and character animation sequences - but since not even the hardcoded unarmed "fist" counts as type 0, you'll never hear them in a real game). Anyway, since you can't specify more than one sound here and since that one sound always runs (with some unconvincing pitch shifting), it's preferable to use a .2da whenever possible.

It's probably the same snafu rendering the attack[2-4] .cre slots nonfunctional that makes the Attack_Slash .2da entries not play; remind me someday to look at this when I've a debugger running, as the only text strings in the .exe that refer to attack_sound are some apparently unrelated tolua junk.

Attack1 should always "work" in ToB if it's not been deactivated in your sound settings, provided the following condition is met: you're using a fake weapon with SHORT_AT 0x1c = 0x00 (type = misc) in the item header.
Seems you're right, as usual. My original gibberling had either a short sword or nothing equipped. Not that it's terribly useful for us to set this on CRE files, as you say.

Now see, didn't I tell you you were back? :) Maybe you can help us figure out how to hack the .exe to get the other slots working...

Heh. I only noticed because devSin pointed out that sounds weren't working in the first place (and then had to figure out why Demogorgon was just making the default jellosplashy attack sound despite mdem.2da: he's using a flail).

And I'm not back :) I don't even have my old files anymore.

It pains me to no end that they have beautiful sequence-specific sounds for most their creatures. They have sounds for Demogorgon slash, Demogorgon backslash, Demogorgon jab (and his sounds are already incredibly perfect for him), and we'll never hear any of it in the game.

After a while of this junk, you just start to "F- this dumb game; it sucks."

It pains me to no end that they have beautiful sequence-specific sounds for most their creatures. They have sounds for Demogorgon slash, Demogorgon backslash, Demogorgon jab (and his sounds are already incredibly perfect for him), and we'll never hear any of it in the game.

After a while of this junk, you just start to "F- this dumb game; it sucks."

Or implement them in GemRB :)

Also note that the ATTACK_* slots are inoperable (IIRC); the ATTACK entry is the only one that the engine will play

Damn.

I just made a component for aTweaks which assigns Yxunomei's IWD soundset to all Mariliths and realized that their ATTACK2-4 entries never play in-game. :)

Archived