Computer Problems! Need Help!

grogerson

I'm trying to update BG1Tweaks but suddenly I've lost most of the functions of my file managers, both PowerDesk 6 (old, I know) and Windows File Browser. I reinstalled PowerDesk and now I can't even run NearInfinity, it just opens the archive.

I'm running Windows XP, and recently renewed my subscription with Norton. Now it says Norton Internet Security.

I'm suspecting some setting in Norton (hey, it flags this site as unsafe and several WeiDU exe's as harmful!) but I've no idea what settings may need to be changed.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Windows File Browser? Never heard, of it. Do you mean the basic Windows Explorer that comes with XP?

Yep. I don't see it on my machine, so the proper name escaped me.

Any ideas if Norton might be messing with it? Anyone?

You can't even open "My computer"?? :suspect: I haven't used Norton myself, but some general questions :D

1) Is your windows updated to whatever latest updates out there??

2) Are you using some kind of graphicpack/shell extension thingy?? (like the 7 Transformation pack, which is still reported -once installed - as malware by some antivirs :laugh:)

3) If there's an scan-slider type thing in Norton, have you tried keeping it at a lower setting??

The basic file manager should just be called explorer.exe and it should live in the Windows root directory. you should also be able to select Run from the Start menu and type "explorer" into that to get it running. At least that's the case in Win XP

@ Lollorien: The problem isn't opening the browsers, it's in their function. The right-click menu causes a CTD if I try to use any of the options, as do many of the hot key functions like [DELETE] to send a file to the Recycle Bin.

1. Yes, it's the current update with regular updates from Microsoft.

2. No graphic packs or shell extensions. Just PowerDesk as an alternative to Windows Explorer (like Mozilla Firefox for their web browser).

3. The Norton GUI has changed so much since last year I've no idea what I'm looking at anymore.

@ Big Rob: Should have stated the above sooner. I know where and how to open Windows Explorer, and the shortcut still works, I just can't seem to use most of the functions - of either PowerDesk or Windows Explorer.

This can happen with Windows sometimes if your registry gets hosed, which happens a lot just through installing/uninstalling programs. You can try to use a free registry cleaner (such as from download.com) but sometimes that can just make it worse. So the only really good solution is to back up your data and reinstall Windows :). Also, obviously, clean out your temp files (both in Windows\Temp and in your Local Settings profile), Internet history, defrag your hard drive etc., but that is more preventative maintenance that won't help much if something's already corrupt. And turn off automatic Windows updates, by the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the corollary "if it is broke, MS won't fix it." I only download them manually, and then only if I know what I'm getting in advance.

Archived