Can't install the item revision

Borealis

Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum who signed up specifically to ask about this. I downloaded the item revision version 2, but when I tried to install it, I get a message saying that it can't find the setup.exe file. Now sure how that happened, but I tried downloading the file three times, from two different mirrors.

Anyone have a clue how this could happen?

A few things to note:

IR has Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux versions, so make sure you are downloading the correct archive for your operating system.

Once you have the correct file downloaded, extract the contents of that archive to your BG2 folder. If you're using Windows and have WinRAR installed, it can extract the contents of item_rev-v2.exe.

Once you've extracted the mod, grab the v2 hotfixes from the first post here, and extract them to your BG2 folder as well, overwriting any existing files. These updated files fix bugs discovered since v2 was released.

Now that you have all of the files in place, run setup-item_rev.exe in your BG2 folder to install the mod.

A few things to note:

IR has Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux versions, so make sure you are downloading the correct archive for your operating system.

Once you have the correct file downloaded, extract the contents of that archive to your BG2 folder. If you're using Windows and have WinRAR installed, it can extract the contents of item_rev-v2.exe.

Once you've extracted the mod, grab the v2 hotfixes from the first post here, and extract them to your BG2 folder as well, overwriting any existing files. These updated files fix bugs discovered since v2 was released.

Now that you have all of the files in place, run setup-item_rev.exe in your BG2 folder to install the mod.

Thanks, I didn't know about the WinRAR option. That helps a bit, since the problem is now more clear. Now perhaps someone can explain why WinRAR sees Setup.exe, but doesn't extract it. :) This is a new one on me. I'm using Vista on a Toshiba laptop, if that is any help whatsoever. This is the first mod I've had any problems installing.

Now perhaps someone can explain why WinRAR sees Setup.exe, but doesn't extract it.
User error, see you clicked one of the archive files and the WinRAR remembers that and only extracts the active(and thus pained) file into the extraction folder. User error, easy.

Since you mentioned using Vista, the first thing that comes to mind is "Did you install BG2 to the Program Files directory?" If you're unaware, mods may have trouble working properly on Vista when BG2 is installed to Program Files because of some stupid stuff Vista does.

It looks like Vista may randomly interfere with extracting stuff there when you're not logged in as Administrator, as well.

Anyway, take all steps possible:

• don't install BG2 to the Program Files directory

If that fails, I'll describe a workaround to provide the setup file.

Edit: For kicks, here is the least helpful technical support I've ever seen for people who seem to have a similar issue to yours.

Since you mentioned using Vista, the first thing that comes to mind is "Did you install BG2 to the Program Files directory?" If you're unaware, mods may have trouble working properly on Vista when BG2 is installed to Program Files because of some stupid stuff Vista does.

It looks like Vista may randomly interfere with extracting stuff when you're not logged in as Administrator, as well.

Anyway, take all steps possible:

• don't install BG2 to the Program Files directory

If that fails, I'll describe a workaround to provide the setup file.

As far as I know, I am the Administrator; there's only one user on this computer, that being me.

I'm trying to extract the file to a directory outside of Program Files, although I've had no trouble running the mod.exe files normally before. Right now all my Baldur's Gate stuff is loaded in Program Files. I did get an error message about the exe file in WinRar; it couldn't run it.

I really hope I don't have to uninstall everything and start over in a new directory...I've got my party into Chapter 5 of BG and I'd rather not start over (Ajantis, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Yeslick accompanying my half-elf mage/thief, and Ajantis just proposed to her). We're going basilisk hunting. :)

It looks like Vista may randomly interfere with extracting stuff when you're not logged in as Administrator, as well.
But that doesn't mean you are actually logged in as the administrator on the computer, as you need to turn off the UAC to be always regarded as the admin.

I really hope I don't have to uninstall everything and start over in a new directory...I've got my party into Chapter 5 of BG and I'd rather not start over (Ajantis, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Yeslick accompanying my half-elf mage/thief, and Ajantis just proposed to her). We're going basilisk hunting. :)
When you install anything in the BG related, learn one thing. You'll be shooting yourself in the legs thinking that you can go a head and continue an old game after you have installed anything, so ALWAYS INSTALL EVERYTHING AND THEN START A NEW GAME, don't load an old save as it will be corrupted...

I have no experience with Vista, so I can't offer too much assistance. So, here's the workaround, since it seems like too much trouble to figure out how to fix the actual issue of .exe files not getting extracted.

If you have a setup-modname.exe file from any other mod, you can make a copy of it and rename the copy to setup-item_rev.exe and it will function the same as the setup-item_rev.exe from inside the download.

You shouldn't have to uninstall to move your game directory. Once moved, you will need to update the paths listed in baldur.ini and start your game with bgmain.exe, though. If your current game is Tutu and you're trying to install IR on BG2, then you can just move the BG2 directory and leave your current game alone. If you're running a BGT game, then you might need to merge some of the BG2 files from the VirtualStore directory (Google it or read this) with the ones in your Program Files folder, then drag and drop the BG2 folder somewhere outside of Program Files.

As far as installing IR in the middle of your saved game, that will probably work fine. The few relocated items in stores and on creatures would not be relocated if you'd already encountered them, but IRv2 only modifies stores and creatures in BG2, so this wouldn't be an issue for you. The items themselves can be modified without any problems. In general though, you do have to be careful about what you install in the middle of a game, and especially careful about what you uninstall.

I have no experience with Vista, so I can't offer too much assistance. So, here's the workaround, since it seems like too much trouble to figure out how to fix the actual issue of .exe files not getting extracted.

If you have a setup-modname.exe file from any other mod, you can make a copy of it and rename the copy to setup-item_rev.exe and it will function the same as the setup-item_rev.exe from inside the download.

You shouldn't have to uninstall to move your game directory. Once moved, you will need to update the paths listed in baldur.ini and start your game with bgmain.exe, though. If your current game is Tutu and you're trying to install IR on BG2, then you can just move the BG2 directory and leave your current game alone. If you're running a BGT game, then you might need to merge some of the BG2 files from the VirtualStore directory (Google it or read this) with the ones in your Program Files folder, then drag and drop the BG2 folder somewhere outside of Program Files.

As far as installing IR in the middle of your saved game, that will probably work fine. The few relocated items in stores and on creatures would not be relocated if you'd already encountered them, but IRv2 only modifies stores and creatures in BG2, so this wouldn't be an issue for you. The items themselves can be modified without any problems. In general though, you do have to be careful about what you install in the middle of a game, and especially careful about what you uninstall.

Thank you! The workaround worked just fine, so I'm going to get things moving again.

I take it that this mod works for Tutu as well, then?

Archived