[Mac OS X] Errors prevent mod installation

ericp07

I don't see anything out of place in the tp2 section you posted. All I can tell you is make sure that your CRE is named ep#hin.cre. Capitalization doesn't matter on Windows or Mac, but it does matter on Linux. Linux users are used to having to tolower the mods on their installation, but it's one more step they have to go through to install your mod.

Say, Mac doesn't have anything like that annoying bug feature in Windows where the extensions are hidden, does it? Just saying, because if it did, I would wonder whether the creature file is misnamed ep#hin.cre.cre.

Quadruple-checked: the filename is EP#HIN.CRE with no other characters in the filename. I know what you're referring to about the lovely extension-hiding "feature," and I never use that. It's an option the user can toggle on or off, as well as to hide or show hidden files (which I also don't use). I prefer to see the extensions, if for no other reason than for my own peace of mind ???

Still baffles me how such errors can come up, seemingly out of the blue, when everything worked just fine in previous experiences.

Thanks,

Eric

Not_found doesn't refer to a non-existent file (they give "error loading..." errors). It probably refers to a variable or similar. If you want to narrow the problem down yourself you can put PATCH_PRINTs at regular intervals in the code you use to do stuff to the cre file.

E.g.:

COPY blah override
PATCH_PRINT 1
<something>
PATCH_PRINT 2
<somethingelse>
PATCH_PRINT 3

If it prints 1 and 2 but not 3, you look at <somethingelse> for the problem.

Not_found doesn't refer to a non-existent file (they give "error loading..." errors). It probably refers to a variable or similar. If you want to narrow the problem down yourself you can put PATCH_PRINTs at regular intervals in the code you use to do stuff to the cre file.

E.g.:

COPY blah override
PATCH_PRINT 1
<something>
PATCH_PRINT 2
<somethingelse>
PATCH_PRINT 3

If it prints 1 and 2 but not 3, you look at <somethingelse> for the problem.

Woah, color me clueless here ??? I'll look this up and see if it will help me to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Eric

Hmm. Could it be the kit he's trying to add? That isn't the usual format for adding a custom kit to a CRE.

Great. I copy things straight from tutorials, and continually get screwed ??? What is the usual method for this, please?

Thanks,

Eric

You can also use --debug-assign and --debug-value checks to get lots of info about what is going on at any particular moment.

In this case, like berelinde asserts, you may not have your kit set up correctly (the variable %EP#NEEDL% is only working for you if you're correctly using ADD_KIT or you explicitly assign it somewhere earlier in the file).

I worded that wrong. Sorry. That is how you assign a kit, but if you haven't installed the kit before you install the CRE, you could get errors.

That makes sense, so...checking my .tp2 verifies that the kit is all set up immediately prior to copying the NPC's portraits and .cre file. All the relevant code is in that section, so only the WRITE_SHORT and WRITE_BYTE lines are after copying the .cre to override. Should I relocate those three lines to just before copying the portraits and .cre?

I stand ready to post whatever might be helpful from my .tp2, as always.

Thanks,

Eric

You can also use --debug-assign and --debug-value checks to get lots of info about what is going on at any particular moment.

In this case, like berelinde asserts, you may not have your kit set up correctly (the variable %EP#NEEDL% is only working for you if you're correctly using ADD_KIT or you explicitly assign it somewhere earlier in the file).

Well, ADD_KIT is the very first line of the kit section in my .tp2. I followed the instructions in CamDawg's Kit Creation Series to the letter.

I just read the WeiDU documentation entries for --debug-assign and --debug-value, but it's not clear to me how to implement those commands (if it's accurate to call them that).

Please advise ???

Thanks,

Eric

They're command-line switches (e.g., ./weidu --log mylogfile --tlkout dialog.tlk mymod.tp2 --debug-assign).

That was the only guess I had, so thanks for the confirmation! I'll see what's revealed at the next install attempt.

- E

Install errors now are as follows:

Value [(0x244)] = 580
Value [(0)] = 0
Value [(0x246)] = 582
Value [(0x246)] = 582
GET ~THIS~ = ~THIS~
SET %THIS% = 0
Value [(0x246)] = 582
GET ~STHIS~ = ~STHIS~
SET %STHIS% = 0
ERROR: [Hinaeari/character/EP#Hin.cre] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Hinaeariel Gwaithoron for BGII:SoA/ToB], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  36 files for [Hinaeari.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled	 36 files for [Hinaeari.tp2] component 0.
GET ~%WEIDU_OS%~ = ~osx~
GET ~WIN32~ = ~WIN32~
Value [((%WEIDU_OS% STRING_COMPARE_CASE WIN32) = (0))] = 0
ERROR: Not_found

Should Value[(0)] = 0 be changed, or is there any clue in this?

Thanks,

Eric

It's simply telling you the value of everything you're passing into it (what it reads from your TP2 = that value in decimal notation). And as you can see, there's no value for the variable you're referencing (THIS and STHIS are auto-reads that happen only when a variable lookup fails). So your ADD_KIT code is bugged or you're trying to use the wrong name.

Here's the entire kit section of my .tp2, followed by the first several lines of the section for the NPC herself, to include the three kit-related lines:

// Needle of Mielikki Kit
ADD_KIT ~EP#Needl~ // internal name of the kit
// appended to CLASWEAP.2da
~EP#Needl				1		   1		   1		   1		   1		   1		   1		   1~
// appended column-wise to WEAPPROF.2da
~EP#Needl 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5~	
// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da
~EP#Needl				13	   13	   14	   0	   14	   0~
// appended to ABCLSMOD.2da
~EP#Needl				0	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0~
// appended to ABDCDSRQ.2da
~EP#Needl				17	   17	   0	   0	   17	  0~
// appended to ABDCSCRQ.2da
~EP#Needl				15	   15	   0	   0	   15	  0~
// appended to ALIGNMNT.2da
~EP#Needl				1	   0	   0	   1	   0	   0	   1	   0	   0~
// appended to DUALCLAS.2da
~EP#Needl				0	   1	   0	   0	   0	   0~
// path to your CLAB-style 2da file 
~Hinaeari/kit/EP#Needl.2da~
// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da
~K_R_H K_R_E K_R_HE~
// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry
~0x00004000	 12~
// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da
~Ra0~
// list of starting equipment for PCs starting in ToB. Appended column-wise to 25STWEAP.2da
~LEAT14 * HELM07 BAG25 RING06 RING31 CLCK02 BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN04,2 POTN14,5 BOW18 SW1H39 STAF08~
// Lower, mixed, and help kit names and descriptions, added to KITLIST.2da 
SAY ~needle of mielikki~
SAY ~Needle of Mielikki~
SAY ~NEEDLE OF MIELIKKI: Needles are rangers who serve Mielikki. They are considered the most beloved of the Lady of the Forest. They sometimes serve as clergy, but most often act as the warrior arm of the faith and serve a defensive role, protecting the forests from marauders, humanoids, and the followers of the god Malar.~
// change regular spell to innate
DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~spell_to_innate~ BEGIN
 READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off" ELSE 0
 READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num" ELSE 0
 READ_ASCII ("%abil_off%" + 0x04) "bam" (8) // reads the bam filename from ability
 WRITE_SHORT 0x1C 4						 // sets spell type to innate (4)
 WRITE_LONG  0x34 1						 // sets spell level to 1 to avoid scripting issues
 WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x3A "%bam%" #8	  // writes the bam filename from abilities to spell icon
 FOR ( index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index + 1 ) BEGIN
WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x02 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 4 // changes ability icon location to innate (4)
READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) "speed" // reads casting speed
PATCH_IF ("%speed%" > 3) BEGIN
  WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) ("%speed%" - 2) // reduces casting speed
END ELSE BEGIN
  WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 0 // makes instant
END
 END
END

COPY_EXISTING ~sppr410.spl~ ~override/EP#NCWB.spl~
 LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~spell_to_innate~

// Hinaeariel's character
COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinS.bmp~ ~portraits~
COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinM.bmp~ ~portraits~
COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinH.bmp~ ~portraits~
COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#Hin.cre~ ~override~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~leat03~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~ARMOR~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~EP#HINAM~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~AMULET~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~ax1h11~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~SHIELD~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~sw1h23~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON1~ EQUIP
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~bow16~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV1~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #12 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER1~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow05~ #7 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER2~
 SAY NAME1 ~Hinaeariel Gwaithoron~
 SAY NAME2 ~Hinaeariel Gwaithoron~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x244 0 // doesn't change
 WRITE_BYTE  0x246 ~%EP#NEEDL%~ // the internal name of my kit, surrounded by %
 WRITE_BYTE  0x247 0x40 // doesn't change

Maybe someone else can see something here that needs changing? I sure don't, but I need to solve the problem so the kit will be applied to the NPC.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived