[Mac OS X] Errors prevent mod installation

ericp07

I don't know if I am on the right track at all, but EP#Needl :is not exactly: %EP#NEEDL% . Look at the *eedl* and compare it to the *EEDL*... the cases, might that be a typo... ninjaed by Wisp ... ???

And there is an END at the end of the function, right?

And I might suggest that you put the exact location where the file ends up...

COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#Hin.cre~ ~override/EP#Hin.cre~
Me.
Your problem is probably that you add the kit EP#Needl but use the variable EP#NEEDL for the cre. Variables are case-sensitive.

It would be nice if the tutorial mentioned this. I'll fix, then try reinstalling.

Thanks!

Eric

Your problem is probably that you add the kit EP#Needl but use the variable EP#NEEDL for the cre. Variables are case-sensitive.

It would be nice if the tutorial mentioned this. I'll fix, then try reinstalling.

Thanks!

Eric

SOLVED!!! Thanks again! Making that change to %EP#Needl%, saving the .tp2, and saving a second time as .tp2-mac, results in a successful install ???

Onward and upward,

Eric

I now get a successful install with the mod, but...the following appears near the end of the install:

Extending game scripts ...
ERROR: error loading [hinaeriel/script/AR1200.baf]

Uh-oh...

The scripts section of my .tp2 looks like this:

// Scripts
COMPILE ~Hinaeari/script/EP#Hin.baf~
COMPILE ~Hinaeari/script/EP#MABSH.baf~
EXTEND_TOP ~AR1200.bcs~ ~hinaeriel/script/AR1200.baf~

So, I'm not sure what's wrong now. AR1200.baf looks like this:

// Hinaeariel's spawning script
IF
Global("HinExists","AR1200",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("EP#Hin",[2100.1750],7)
SetGlobal("HinExists","AR1200",1)
Continue()
END

If there's a solution for this, I should have a 100% successful install. It may be worth noting that the NPC spawned when I was using COMPILE, rather than EXTEND_TOP, for AR1200.

Thanks,

Eric

I found the problem, and corrected it ???

It helps to make sure the file paths have correct names, doesn't it? :hm:

Sorry for that. I just reinstalled, after fixing, and got success with no error reports. Time to test in-game!

Cheers,

Eric

The more I try to clean things up, the more problems I create...

Here's my latest install error:

[action list near line 11, column 44 of Hinaeari/dialogue/EP#HinP.d] PARSE WARNING at line 11 column 1-9
Near Text: 
	syntax error
WARNING: cannot verify action ~JoinParty~: Parsing.Parse_error

[Hinaeari/dialogue/EP#HinP.d] LEXER ERROR at line 11 column 1-43
Near Text: (
	invalid character [(]

[Hinaeari/dialogue/EP#HinP.d]  ERROR at line 11 column 1-43
Near Text: (
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [Hinaeari/dialogue/EP#HinP.d]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [Hinaeari/dialogue/EP#HinP.d]!
Stopping installation because of error.

I looked at the P file, but nothing appears wrong to my partially-trained eyes ??? Here's the content:

BEGIN ~EP#HinP~ // Hinaeariel's kick-out dialogues

IF ~IsGabber(Player1)~ THEN BEGIN left_party
SAY ~Are you sure you don't need me?~
++ ~My mistake, Hinaeariel. Please stay.~ + left_party_1
++ ~Not at this time. Good-bye.~ + left_party_2
END

IF ~~ left_party_1
SAY ~Do you want me to rejoin?~
++ ~Welcome back, Hinaeariel.~ DO JoinParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ left_party_1
 SAY ~As you wish. Lisse alus ent laema lalaith tenna lle aelouva. Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet.~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()~ EXIT
END

What am I failing to notice, and how do I correct this?

One step forward, two steps back and I roll down the hill again...

Thanks,

Eric

JoinParty(), not plain JoinParty. ???

Also, anything with lexor in it is probably a missing tilde

Needs a ~ between DO and JoinParty().

This is what I meant when I said that it will take you forever just to get the thing to install. You'll always have a typo or two, but eventually, you'll get better at spotting the errors.

JoinParty(), not plain JoinParty. ???

Also, anything with lexor in it is probably a missing tilde

Needs a ~ between DO and JoinParty().

This is what I meant when I said that it will take you forever just to get the thing to install. You'll always have a typo or two, but eventually, you'll get better at spotting the errors.

Heh, that's what I'm finding out *L*

OK, it already had the parentheses after JoinParty: JoinParty(). So, that's good.

I missed that ~, sure enough, so I've added it in.

Thanks so much! I'll see if it will work this time.

- Eric

And I might suggest that you put the exact location where the file ends up...
COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#Hin.cre~ ~override/EP#Hin.cre~
Me.

I'd recommend doing that ONLY when you need to change the name of the file at the same time. COPY ~this~ ~override~ is concise, easy to understand, and hard to screw up.

COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinS.bmp~ ~portraits~

COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinM.bmp~ ~portraits~

COPY ~Hinaeari/character/EP#HinH.bmp~ ~portraits~

If these are in the portraits folder, they will show up for players when picking custom portraits in character generation. I'd put them in the override folder instead, so you don't inconvenience players who would rather not have them mixed in with their custom portraits.

Guest Imp_at_outside_its_realm.
I'd recommend doing that ONLY when you need to change the name of the file at the same time. COPY ~this~ ~override~ is concise, easy to understand, and hard to screw up.
Ouh, yeah, it's as hard as:
COPY ~*modname*/SPL~ ~override~

Why, well, if you haven't named the spells in that folder as their own, and as there is no backups made from the overwritten ********.spl files, ... you end up cheesing the whole BiG World install that way... easy as a piece of pie. Yes, it's was an SPL folder, not just a file.

And then there is the problem that when one does the COPY ~*folder*~ ~override~ , that you cannot patch any of the files at all.

I thought we were discussing whether or not you should specify the name of the destination file.

Ouh, yeah, it's as hard as:
COPY ~*modname*/SPL~ ~override~

Why, well, if you haven't named the spells in that folder as their own, and as there is no backups made from the overwritten ********.spl files, ... you end up cheesing the whole BiG World install that way... easy as a piece of pie. Yes, it's was an SPL folder, not just a file.

I'm pretty sure WeiDU backs up files in situations like that, but if you've experienced otherwise, you should report it as a bug.

And then there is the problem that when one does the COPY ~*folder*~ ~override~ , that you cannot patch any of the files at all.

I think you can patch them, but it's not easy to set different descriptions and the like for different files. I've never run into a situation where I wanted to patch all of the files in a folder, though.

I thought we were discussing whether or not you should specify the name of the destination file.
And we still are. As this all follows from not being very specific and maticulaus about things...

I'm pretty sure WeiDU backs up files in situations like that, but if you've experienced otherwise, you should report it as a bug.
I think I actually did to a mod that you at least partially coded.

So it might be good if you weren't just pretty. :lol: Sorry about that, if it insulted you.

Edit: Yes, the linked archive I made for the linked thread is gone, but it only had 13 .spl files and a few .bams, and 2 .eff files.

The SR v3 backs up 43 .spl files on near vanilla BG2 ToB setup... ???

Archived