Mod to prevent (or make more flexible) permanent loss due to removal at reputation?

Guest Iec

Would it be laborious to implement (or does there exist) a BGII/Tutu mod that prevents the Bioware NPCs from leaving the party upon removal due to reputation to more flexible values (e.g. higher than 13 for evil NPCs, and analogously for good ones)? Too much might interfere with immersion, but the status quo forces the player to be nasty or use bards just before KICKING an evil character if they wish to keep them, which interferes with it, too; or to donate money to a temple to prepare for removing a good character.

Mur'Neth, for one, seems OK with going to an Inn at 13 reputation, so it seems like it's something relatively straightforward, but...

BG2 Tweaks Happy Patch should work. It changes the happy.2da file, which controls NPC reputation reactions. I suggest the Never Angry About Reputation form, since I've had trouble with NPC's Can Be Angry But Never Leave variant (though that may be because of the BG1 engine).

Just be warned that with version 9, the Happy Patch doesn't disable NPC's fighting each other. For that you must also install the next component, NPC's Don't Fight Each Other (it seems they made the change, but forgot to update the Readme).

I assumed that that file just kept them from spontaneously leaving if your reputation gets to 1/19 or something while leaving the stalk-off-on-ejection bit out of the picture. If you're saying it keeps them from EVER leaving permanently, that's great.

I'm using the "angry never leave" version at the moment, so I'll switch it around and see if I can talk to my evil people in Nashkel without them getting grouchy at rep 15. ???

Yep, it works. The "angry no leave" version wasn't working at all, though. I like when they get grouchy for doing nice things or vice-versa even if nothing comes of it, so.

I hope they'll still pipe up and say nice or mean things occasionally. Sometimes it's cute. ???

By now you've probably noticed the banters still continue. The only changes are to those banters that trigger the fights. The triggers are disabled.

One question about Tiax (and it's probably too late to get the answer), did you or he level up just before he left?

Yeah, I didn't have the fights turned off; just the "never angry about reputation" patch.

I don't think anyone leveled up just before Tiax left. It's possible, though. IIRC, I was in the process of climbing the tower of the fellow who wants you to steal the nymph for him. Why do you think that would matter?

I'm on a BGT playthrough now, which annoying uses the broken option here instead of the proper one. And I was so happy with my functional BWS installation... :mad:

Oh well. I'm fixing that one setting to see if it makes everything explode.

I don't think anyone leveled up just before Tiax left. It's possible, though . . . Why do you think that would matter?

Just wondering/data collection/whatever excuse.

When I was developing BG1 Tweaks I had a similar situation with Viconia, only I was near the end of the game. I'd just uninstalled and reinstalled the Never Angry component. PC leveled up and she left. I was thinking the same thing may have happened with you and Tiax. Uninstalling and reinstalling components can sometimes do things like that.

So.. eh, what's the conclusion on what component(s) "work"?

Should the "Can Be Angry But Never Leave" variant be avoided? But "Never Angry About Reputation" works, with or without the inter-NPC fighting? And also, with NAAR - they do still complain when you do goody-two-shoes stuff? :undecided:

Archived