Fixpack and Ascension

If Fixpack is installed after Ascension, as is frequently recommended these days, it will destroy Ascension's upgraded slayer changes.

REPLACE PLAYER1
 IF WEIGHT #8 ~Global("Slayer10","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN 27 SAY #55324
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #55326 DO ~SetGlobal("Slayer10","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #55325 DO ~SetGlobal("Slayer10","GLOBAL",2)
							SetGlobalTimer("TheSlayerTimer","GLOBAL",60)
							ReputationInc(-2)
							ApplySpell(Player1,SLAYER_CHANGE_TWO)~ EXIT
 END
END

Obviously, "don't do that, then" but it seems unnecessary to nuke an entire state just to make a trivial change to one of the replies. I realise soa-dlg.d probably hails back to the dawn of time, when modders wore poorly prepared animal hides and killed their bugs with sharpened sticks. All the more reason to update it.

Altering the reply can be done with REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or something else less destructive. Maybe some of the other D actions could do with an update as well. I'll have a look if there are no objections.

If Fixpack is installed after Ascension, as is frequently recommended these days, it will destroy Ascension's upgraded slayer changes.

REPLACE PLAYER1
 IF WEIGHT #8 ~Global("Slayer10","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN 27 SAY #55324
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #55326 DO ~SetGlobal("Slayer10","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #55325 DO ~SetGlobal("Slayer10","GLOBAL",2)
							SetGlobalTimer("TheSlayerTimer","GLOBAL",60)
							ReputationInc(-2)
							ApplySpell(Player1,SLAYER_CHANGE_TWO)~ EXIT
 END
END

Obviously, "don't do that, then" but it seems unnecessary to nuke an entire state just to make a trivial change to one of the replies. I realise soa-dlg.d probably hails back to the dawn of time, when modders wore poorly prepared animal hides and killed their bugs with sharpened sticks. All the more reason to update it.

Altering the reply can be done with REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or something else less destructive. Maybe some of the other D actions could do with an update as well. I'll have a look if there are no objections.

do it:P

Um... so is the official word on this to still install Fixpack after ascension? And either live with the lost improvements to the Slayer, or do the fix suggested elsewhere? Does this affect the other Bhaalspawn powers gained in TOB?

Could I redo my BG2 install midgame, in order to rectify this? I have a clean backup of my override folder, and would install all other mods exactly as I had them.

Um... so is the official word on this to still install Fixpack after ascension?
Well, that depends on which "Ascension" you are going to install, as there's one in BP that installed after the Fixpack, and it should work ~100%... you need the BiG World Fixpack and a few other things to it though.

And it also depends on what you regard as a bug, and what just a nuisance/non_feature(the portrait icons missing)

Could I redo my BG2 install midgame, in order to rectify this? I have a clean backup of my override folder, and would install all other mods exactly as I had them.
Well, nope. You have to restart the game... as the saves include a text library codex, that has wrong references after you have re-modified the game.

Thanks. The version I have is the latest standalone Weidu Ascension.

Damn - even if I install the exact same mods but in a slightly modified order, the text library codex will be wrong?

Not sure whether to start again or continue. Havent encountered any bugs, but then, I'd be very irritated if I got far in the game and suddenly came across something I couldnt hack my way through. Come to think of it, Hendak didnt appear after I finished his quest, I had to console him in.

I dont use too many mods - off the top of my head, I use Ascension, Fixpack, Tweakpack, SCSII, Wheels of Prophecy, two things from Questpack, some parts of Unfinished Business, and one kit (Generic Archer) from Tactics.

Thanks. The version I have is the latest standalone Weidu Ascension.

Damn - even if I install the exact same mods but in a slightly modified order, the text library codex will be wrong?

If you uninstall and reinstall without getting rid of dialog.tlk, the texts should be fine. You only get textstring weirdness if you replace dialog.tlk with a backup.

I suggest Ascension --> Fixpack --> Tactics kit --> Unfinished Business --> Questpack --> Wheels of Prophecy --> Tweakpack --> SCSII. Or swap the last two if you expect to modify the Tweakpack bit of your install more than the SCSII part.

Archived