What's with the new ToBex and IR3

Shaitan

Will the release of several new components in ToBex mean many new changes in IR3? How can they be implemented if so?

Will there be compatibility problems?

That's exactly what I'm trying to understand. ToBex is kinda "exploded" lately and it's evolving really fast, so fast I'm not sure what's the current situation (e.g. is it going to be a default mod a la Fixpack?). Anyway, I'm sure there will be no issue as soon as we understand what we have to do on each side.
Do IR use much of Taimons code? If so will it be changed into ToBex work?
I use only a bunch of fixes, but while some of them might be left out, other fixes are clearly mandatory. Fixing poison, disease and regeneration opcodes is kinda important (e.g. a fixed regeneration opcode makes such effect more effective/valuable because of its stackability), but IR should work more or less fine without it. Otoh fixing 'caster lvl bonus' opcode and especially the 'repeating EFF' opcode is something IR cannot live without in its current form. I'm not sure I like the idea of shipping IR without these two fixes, and I don't know if I can give for granted everyone will always have ToBEx installed before IR.

We'll see.

There's a thread over at SHS about this - Ascension is refactoring ToBEx in such a way that (rather than shipping Taimon's exe patches) you will ship the ToBEx DLL and the code to install it (and update it if a previous version is missing, etc.).

Seeing that ToBEx can now be painlessly shipped with mods using it's features, should there not be a "Ioun Stones do not protect against critical hits" component?
throw the Thieves' Hood in with that. and any other non-helm headgear.
I was thinking a similar thing a couple of days ago but I didn't dared to suggest it for some reason. I say similar, because I was actually going to suggest something more radical, to completely remove "immunity to critical hit" from all helmets, and use it as new useful effect on other items (though now that I say it I don't remember if ToBEx would allow this). The fact is: why the hell critical hits should be limited to hits on the head?

Leaving aside my daring thoughts, you're damn right, Ioun Stones shouldn't protect from criticals. I agree on the hood too, though it may be considered a special ability (much like its vanilla's immunity to backstab).

New effect is always nice, especially when there're almost none left unused.

-----150 Configurable Critical Hit Aversion [M]

Adds new item flag bit 25 'Toggle critical hit aversion'

If an item with bit 25 set is equipped, critical hit aversion is enabled if the item is equipped in a non-helmet slot

If an item with bit 25 set is equipped, critical hit aversion is disabled if the item is equipped in a helmet slot

Modding Note

Whenever a critical hit is averted by helmet or not with this hack, string reference 20696 will display, reading 'Critical Hit Averted By Helmet'. Mods using this hack should change the string reference to read 'Critical Hit Averted'

Options:

-0: disabled

-1: enabled

What's the point of critical hits if they don't do more damage than normal hits?

a 20 (or 19 with proficiencies) would anyway mean that the enemy is hit (aside cases of very bad thac0 agaist uber AC).. so the "autohit" feature does't make critical hits shine.

I think that helms (and not, in general, any headgear) should "reduce" critical hit damage, but not simply making it "normal" damage. if critial hits do 100% more damage than helms could reduce it to something like 50%.

Archived