OSX installation problems...

Loriel

There are few problems with installing BG1NPC v6 on Mac OS X. Here's the solutions:

1) The permissions for all the files in the .rar (except for the BG1NPC folder) are set to 644 (read/write for the admin, only read for everyone else). This means that nobody has executable permission! They should be set to 755 at the least.

2) The shell script that was provided for installation was saved in DOS line endings, which doesn't compute with Unix shell scripts. Saving it with Unix line endings fixes the problem.

3) Slight nitpick: if you want your HTML Readme to open correctly, it's probably better to use a shell script to open it than to use VIEW. Due to the way Weidu works, VIEW always opens with TextEdit (like WordPad, I think). It displays the webpage, but it would probably be better if opened in a browser.

The code for the .tp2 would be:

AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT ~sh BG1NPC/yourshellscript.sh~

The code for the shell script would be:

#!/bin/sh
open BG1NPC/ReadMeBG1NPC.html

VIEW should choose the appropriate viewer for a given file type (ie the default browser for html and the default text editor for txt). Exactly as that shell script does in fact. If VIEW isn't doing that on OS-x please let Wes know.

There are few problems with installing BG1NPC v6 on Mac OS X.  Here's the solutions:

1) The permissions for all the files in the .rar (except for the BG1NPC folder) are set to 644 (read/write for the admin, only read for everyone else).  This means that nobody has executable permission!  They should be set to 755 at the least.

We've never had to CHMOD any of the OS X packages--I'll gladly add it, but if it's not strictly necessary I'd really rather avoid amending the 20-odd OS X .command files and re-upload the packages. I. Rahn Maedin managed to get the problems solved by fixing just the line break issue sans CHMOD (and I know JPS has managed to install other non-CHMOD'ing stuff such as G3A, which has TISPack and sox fun to boot), so I'm not convinced yet. :blush:

2) The shell script that was provided for installation was saved in DOS line endings, which doesn't compute with Unix shell scripts.  Saving it with Unix line endings fixes the problem.

Thanks, this was an oversight on our part and will be fixed--Domi's going to toss in a few general bugfixes and we're going to release the whole thing as v7 for both Windows and OS X very soon. I reviewed all of the OS X packages and Blonde Imoen and Crossmod Banter Pack had the same issue; fixed versions have already been uploaded. While Mur'Neth had a slightly different OS X issue, it has been fixed as well.

3) Slight nitpick: if you want your HTML Readme to open correctly, it's probably better to use a shell script to open it than to use VIEW.  Due to the way Weidu works, VIEW always opens with TextEdit (like WordPad, I think).  It displays the webpage, but it would probably be better if opened in a browser.

The code for the .tp2 would be:

AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT ~sh BG1NPC/yourshellscript.sh~

The code for the shell script would be:

#!/bin/sh
open BG1NPC/ReadMeBG1NPC.html

As Idobek pointed out, VIEW is supposed to call the system default viewer for a filetype. I see you've already posted in the WeiDU forum. :cry:

Archived