Error when installing SCSII v16

ABlake

Hi!

I was installing SCS II v.16, and when it came to the Improved Golem component I got this error:

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 954 of 954-byte file hamm09.itm
ERROR: [hamm09.itm] -> [override] Patching Failed <COPY> <Failure<"hamm09.itm: read out of bounds">>
Stopping installation because of error

ERROR Installing [Improved Golem], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 50 files for [SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6035
Uninstalled 50 files for [SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6035
ERROR: Failure<"hamm09.itm: read out of bounds">

EDIT: I don't know, initially the folder scsII extracted from the archive doesn't have anything in the folder backup. Maybe there's something with the file hamm09.itm in my override folder. I don't know why Improved Golem needs a hammer.

Seconded. I have the same error.

May I also suggest fixing "astSeenBy(Myself))") in scsII\help\scripts\dw#grpin.BAF and scsII\workspace\dw#asc_illasera.bcs? BW Fixpack is doing that for quite a long time already.

Item ability headers are 0x38 bytes long, but the patch thinks they are 0x28 bytes long, so when there are additional headers, it starts reading information about their feature blocks from the wrong part of the file.

That can be fixed by changing this:

READ_SHORT 0x1e+~ab_off~+~i~*0x28 ~eff_num~
				   READ_SHORT 0x20+~ab_off~+~i~*0x28 ~eff_ind~

To this:

READ_SHORT 0x1e+~ab_off~+~i~*0x38 ~eff_num~
				   READ_SHORT 0x20+~ab_off~+~i~*0x38 ~eff_ind~

However, I don't think the patch works as intended. The Slay/Kill Creature effect (#55) used by the Rod of Smiting and Crom Faeyr take IDS entries as parameters to ensure they only affect golems, but the Kill Target/Instant Death effect (#13) you switch to uses completely different parameters, so it triggers on any creature and with these parameters actually crashes the game when you attack.

However, I don't think the patch works as intended. The Slay/Kill Creature effect (#55) used by the Rod of Smiting and Crom Faeyr take IDS entries as parameters to ensure they only affect golems, but the Kill Target/Instant Death effect (#13) you switch to uses completely different parameters, so it triggers on any creature and with these parameters actually crashes the game when you attack.

I think I was the poster to bring up this issue of these weapons not working on golems due to their new immunities... What I had in mind (to preserve golem's immunity to vorpal weapons), rather than make the golems immune to instant kill effects, change the silver sword etc. so that the vorpal effect is triggered as a .spl file, and include an .eff (for race=golem) to grant immunity to the spell. Then the Rod/Crom can be left as they were.

I've tried this on my install and it works fine, unfortunately I don't know how to code patching of items with Weidu.

Look forward to playing v16.

I think I was the poster to bring up this issue of these weapons not working on golems due to their new immunities... What I had in mind (to preserve golem's immunity to vorpal weapons), rather than make the golems immune to instant kill effects, change the silver sword etc. so that the vorpal effect is triggered as a .spl file, and include an .eff (for race=golem) to grant immunity to the spell. Then the Rod/Crom can be left as they were.

I've tried this on my install and it works fine, unfortunately I don't know how to code patching of items with Weidu.

That's how vorpal weapons work within IR V3. :)

Archived