Where can I check if NPC's .cre data is accurate?

ericp07

Hello,

Can anyone tell me where to check if some of the values in a character's .cre are correct/accurate? My ranger's .cre is set up for 8th level, with a STR of 16, and the STR bonus is set to 0 in the .cre. I'd like to know if that should be changed. Also, I need to know what, if anything, to assign to Lore (currently 11; her INT of 12 gives no adjustment), Hide in Shadows, Natural AC, Effective AC, and Move Silently. DEX is 18. Lastly, I need to verify her saving throws. Currently, they're set to:

Death 14

Wands 16

Polymorph 15

Breath 17

Spell 11

Please advise.

Thanks,

Eric

a lot of these things are applied at runtime - aren't saved in the cre. This is needed for most stat derivatives, since other effects can change the parent stat.

That's what I was hoping for, to not have to concern myself with those things. So, it won't matter if I entered values for such things as effective AC, lore, hide and move silently? I don't want to do anything that would result in unfair advantage (or disadvantage!) to the character.

Thanks,

Eric

Can anyone tell me where to check if some of the values in a character's .cre are correct/accurate?
Well, the SoA manual for starters. Like lynx says, you should set the base values correctly without stat bonuses (though I think there is an exception in that you have to set dwarf, gnome, halfling saving throw CON bonuses).

An 8th-level ranger has a base lore of 8.

Saving throws should be 10, 12, 11, 12, 13. You have the base values for a level 1 ranger (except for vs. spells which you have at level 9).

Natural/effective AC are almost always 10 (except maybe for monks).

Set the stealth values for whatever they should be at that level (minus race and dex bonuses).

Nythrun made a WeiDU tool that would set the accurate CRE values semi-automatically - buried in the forum here (maybe someone should upload that to the Tools section or something).

Changes made. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to include ability score adjustments, or if the game handles that itself. I've applied the changes; I mostly needed to check the saves, but all the values ended up wrong (except for natural AC). Also downloaded Nythrun's tool (*ahem!* the one mentioned above), and will check it out soon.

Thanks,

Eric

Also downloaded Nythrun's tool (*ahem!* the one mentioned above), and will check it out soon.
That would've been a lot funnier if you'd said "Also I went ahead and grabbed Nythrun's tool..."

(Nythrun is a girl person btw, though that just makes it funnier. :)And no, my mind isn't naturally in the gutter. Ok maybe, but I wouldn't've thought twice about the comment were it not for the *ahem!*.)

first: ewww.
No excuse for sloppiness.
second: isn't setting the stats a little redundant since (most) NPCs will level up when they first join, thereby getting all those things correct?
No excuse for sloppiness. And actually, most NPCs won't level up when they first join, unless you have something like Level 1 NPCs or an SCS component installed that forces that, and sometimes not even then (if for example you met this NPC near the start of BG2, she would be near your level).
Also downloaded Nythrun's tool (*ahem!* the one mentioned above), and will check it out soon.
That would've been a lot funnier if you'd said "Also I went ahead and grabbed Nythrun's tool..."

(Nythrun is a girl person btw, though that just makes it funnier. :)And no, my mind isn't naturally in the gutter. Ok maybe, but I wouldn't've thought twice about the comment were it not for the *ahem!*.)

Fascinating. I never knew (but yeah, still funny :) ).

- E

first: ewww.
No excuse for sloppiness.
second: isn't setting the stats a little redundant since (most) NPCs will level up when they first join, thereby getting all those things correct?
No excuse for sloppiness. And actually, most NPCs won't level up when they first join, unless you have something like Level 1 NPCs or an SCS component installed that forces that, and sometimes not even then (if for example you met this NPC near the start of BG2, she would be near your level).

Erysseril's .cre is written for an 8th level ranger, as a base. Her joining script is written such that her XP gets set to a value close to that of the PC, all the way to 21st level. I don't know if the game increments the values of the stats in question in such a case, or if it replaces what's already there with specific values according to level. So, in setting these at the outset (and setting them correctly), I'm erring on the side of caution. Just don't want to overlook anything.

- E

Archived