first mod ... kenshei kit ... looking for input, testers

joshuar9476

after years of sideline downloading i jumped in and made a kit of my own. it's base is kensai with a few extras ...

Advantages:

- Grand Mastery in all single handed swords, bladed weapons, and darts

- Grand Mastery in single and 2 weapon styles

- +2 to dexterity

- +1 bonus to hit and damage at character creation then every 5 levels up to level 25

- -2 to Armor Class at character creation then -1 every 5th level up to level 25

- +10% to slashing and piercing resistance at creating and an additional +10% at level 15

- Gains Precision Strike ability at levels 4, 7 and 22. Grants a +3 THAC0 bonus for three rounds, does 1d10 damage to target, and has a 25% chance to stun target.

- Gains Parry ability at levels 7, 10 and 22. Grants virtual immunity to physical attacks for two rounds.

- Gains Counter Attack ability at levels 10, 13 and 22. Grants virtual immunity to physical attacks for one round and does 2d10 of damage to attacker.

- Gains Disarm ability at levels 13, 16 and 22. Has a 50% chance to make opponent drop their weapon.

- Gains Feint ability at levels 16, 19 and 22. Grants Invisibility and Non-Detection for one round.

- Gains Swift Strike ability at levels 19 and 22. Decreases weapon speed by 2, adds an extra attack, a +5 THAC0 bonus and a -2 Armor Class penalty for two rounds.

Disadvantages:

- May not wear helmets or any armor besides mage robes

- May not use missle weapons except for darts

- may not use two handed swords or blunt/spike weapons

- Requires: 15 dexterity

- -2 to charisma

the abilities are borrowed from Drizzt's blade master kit ... too much cheese? somewhat balanced? any suggestions that might balance it out? i'd like to have the mage robe part but because it's a fighter class it seems as if i can't.

also, i can't figure out how to post files here so i'll say that the file is at SHS here if anyone is willing to look over the code and/or install it and make sure things are working like they should.

thanks!

edit: i changed and scaled back the hit and damage modifier a bit

Advantages:

- +2 to dexterity

Disadvantages:

- Requires: 15 dexterity

Just a small comment. This above will mean that every character that starts with this kit will have automatically a score of 17 DEX or higher.

Just a small comment. This above will mean that every character that starts with this kit will have automatically a score of 17 DEX or higher.

is it my wording that's wrong? when i start a new character it's min dex is 15 and its max is 20 like i intended ... it starts out giving you a dex of 15.

also, i'm kind of lost on the usability flags.

0x10000000 which is a shapeshifter has no armor (which i've moved toward) but will let me use bows and crossbows

0x00000004 which is the kensai has no armor but won't let me use darts ...

is there middle ground?

no, all the usability bits are already taken.

What Daulmakan meant is that the dex restriction is actually a bonus, not a penalty, since the stat dice roll will be adjusted for it.

To me this kit reads very cheesy. All the boni and cool abilities, plus (practically) all proficiencies already set, while no big mali vs the kensai to offset them.

What Daulmakan meant is that the dex restriction is actually a bonus, not a penalty, since the stat dice roll will be adjusted for it.

To me this kit reads very cheesy. All the boni and cool abilities, plus (practically) all proficiencies already set, while no big mali vs the kensai to offset them.

gotcha, guess i need to pick one and run with it. i'm actually starting to agree on the cheese and have blown things up, started from scratch, and started to scale things back

is there a way to force the avatar and paperdoll to have the mage look instead of the fighter? i can easily do this with shadowkeeper myself but i'd like to force it for aesthetic purposes.

btw, these are the changes i came up with:

Advantages:

: Grand Mastery in all single handed swords

: Grand Mastery in single and two weapon styles

: +2 to maximum dexterity

: +1 bonus to hit and damage at level 1 and then every 5 levels up to level 20

: -2 to Armor Class at level 1 and then -1 every 5th level up to level 20

: -1 to weapon speed at level 1 and then -1 every 5th level up to level 20

: +10% slashing and piercing resistance at level 1 and an additional +10% at level 15

: Gains Disarm ability at levels 6, 12 and 18. Has a 50% chance to make opponent drop their weapon.

: Gains Precision Strike ability at levels 7, 14 and 21. Grants a +3 THAC0 bonus for three rounds, does 1d10 damage to target, and has a 25% chance to stun target.

Disadvantages:

: May not wear helmets, armor, or gauntlets

: May only use single handed swords

: Requires: 15 dexterity

: -2 to maxium charisma

should be doable by applying this effect: (0x035) Graphics: Animation Change [53]

but it'd require some more work to apply the correct animation, since it varies by race and gender.

The kit still looks overpowered to me. All those grandmasteries are just silly imo. And I guess by the single hand sword thing you mean it can't use any ranged or other weapons?

should be doable by applying this effect: (0x035) Graphics: Animation Change [53]

but it'd require some more work to apply the correct animation, since it varies by race and gender.

ok, i tried to find the answer to this noob question, but i must be looking in the wrong places. i assume i have to make a spl file with the mentioned effect and apply it through the CLAB .... if so, how do i make a spl? ConText shows nothing and NearInfinity only lets you edit ....

The kit still looks overpowered to me. All those grandmasteries are just silly imo. And I guess by the single hand sword thing you mean it can't use any ranged or other weapons?
the grandmastery in the swords is a given already per being a fighter, right? i suppose i don't need to mention that then. i gave the grandmastery in single and 2 handed fighting because i feel like the character should be rewarded for having "legendary skill in swordsmanship" as the description says. just curious but would you rather see a three pip or even the default two there? and yes, you can only have use of katana, short sword, long sword, dagger, bastard sword, or scimitar.
gotcha, guess i need to pick one and run with it.
Don't take that as "you cannot combine them", you just have to add one to another, and you can have them "all"... as the 0xffffffff is the kit usability flag limit... you won't be able to use any items that way, but that's because you it would requite the item to have all the flags marked... unless you use the universal club component from BG2 Tweaks, and then you would be able to use the clubs... :laugh:

ok, i tried to find the answer to this noob question, but i must be looking in the wrong places. i assume i have to make a spl file with the mentioned effect and apply it through the CLAB .... if so, how do i make a spl? ConText shows nothing and NearInfinity only lets you edit ....
DLTCEP + the .dat files from here(direct download link), simple.
is there an easy tutorial on using DLTCEP to make a simple inate effect such as lynx suggested ... the kit making rather rather simple but good lord making a file on DLTCEP looks daunting.
Easy, just load a file that you know what it does, the spcl541.spl is a good candidate, as it's the Skald's +1 damage effect, and then resave it with your file name and then edit it...

new question ...

if i go with just the kensai usability flag (0x00000004), it allows the character to purchase hammers, staffs, etc where my kit only allows swords ....

i'm pretty sure swashbuckler (0x00100000) is the only kit that restricts you to mostly swords yet when i use just this flag it still lets me purchase axes, maces, etc ... shouldn't they be red like bows on my kensai? is there a better combination that allows for no armor and just swords? is it just something i should let the user deal with since they can't give their character a pip in that weapon to begin with?

Archived