BG1 Horror spell doesn't work?

chuft

Again I am not sure if this is a vanilla BG1 bug known to everyone, or something to do with Sasha's fixpack or the G3 Tweaks pack, but the Horror spell doesn't seem to work on enemies. I believe it has worked on my characters when used by enemies, but when I use it, all it does is turn their circles yellow. Xvarts, Flinds, you name it, they just keep attacking as if nothing had changed. They don't flee or act any differently. They just keep attacking, yellow circles notwithstanding.

Anyone else experience this?

but the Horror spell doesn't seem to work on enemies...all it does is turn their circles yellow.
Well, the yellow circle means that it has worked on them, the reason you don't see any change in the actions is different than that the spell doesn't work. The creature doesn't either have the scared AI actions, or someone replaced that with non scared actions, or you are too close and they have no where to run.

But this indeed needs to be looked at, so what version of the BG1 do you have, how did you get it (country, is it a download/CD/DVD) ?

And what mods have you installed... the easiest exact way to show that is go to the game folder and open the WeiDU.log with Notepad and copy paste it's content.

I am using the U.S. 5-CD Baldur's Gate with the 1-CD Tales of the Sword Coast, official TotSC patch, Sasha's fixpack, and G3 Tweaks pack.

The enemies have plenty of places to run. This just happened to me resting in an open area (the Mutamin's Garden map) and Flinds attacked. I cast Horror and the Flinds' circles turned yellow and they closed in and kept melee-ing. I have noticed it in the past with other enemies like Xvarts as well, the spell seems worthless.

According to the WeiDu log, BG Tweaks and BG Fixpack (Sasha's) are the only things installed.

I have also noticed when turning the ghoul on this map (Korax, after he became hostile) that he would turn away for a moment, then turn back and attack the party again.

I also noticed on this map that the petrified Tamah became hostile for no apparent reason. The "statue" got a red circle and paused the game due to an "enemy being spotted." No area of effect spells were used, as I was carefully hiding in shadows and scouting the area for basilisks to attack. At some point the Tamah statue became hostile for no apparent reason and started tripping the "Pause when enemy spotted" alarm.

At this point I am tempted to reinstall, there have been so many unexplained bugs.

I am using the U.S. 5-CD Baldur's Gate with the 1-CD Tales of the Sword Coast, official TotSC patch, Sasha's fixpack, and G3 Tweaks pack.

The enemies have plenty of places to run. This just happened to me resting in an open area (the Mutamin's Garden map) and Flinds attacked. I cast Horror and the Flinds' circles turned yellow and they closed in and kept melee-ing. I have noticed it in the past with other enemies like Xvarts as well, the spell seems worthless.

According to the WeiDu log, BG Tweaks and BG Fixpack (Sasha's) are the only things installed.

I have also noticed when turning the ghoul on this map (Korax, after he became hostile) that he would turn away for a moment, then turn back and attack the party again.

I also noticed on this map that the petrified Tamah became hostile for no apparent reason. The "statue" got a red circle and paused the game due to an "enemy being spotted." No area of effect spells were used, as I was carefully hiding in shadows and scouting the area for basilisks to attack. At some point the Tamah statue became hostile for no apparent reason and started tripping the "Pause when enemy spotted" alarm.

At this point I am tempted to reinstall, there have been so many unexplained bugs.

hmm odd things indeed... i can tell you that i've recently gone thru what i have in the fixpack and I've not made any known changes to anything you've listed. Only spell files that the fixpack touches are the magic missile spells spwi003 & spwi112

That doesn't mean that the tweaks mod doesn't do anything with 'em. out of curiosity, what is your install order of the mods?

Official patch, then Fixpack, then Tweaks.

I believe after finishing my last game of BG1 I ran Tweaks again because I couldn't remember all the settings I had selected, and I wanted to run an evil party this time, so I changed some things like reputation effect on stores. I believe I did all that before starting the new game however.

I also noticed on this map that the petrified Tamah became hostile for no apparent reason.

I've noticed Korax's actions repeated at times with other enemies. No explanation from this person.

As for Tamah, a recent post (I believe in the fixpack forum) noted that sometimes Mutamin's call for help often includes her...

That doesn't mean that the tweaks mod doesn't do anything with 'em.

BG1 Tweaks doesn't touch spells. I felt it was more appropriate for the fixpack or someone else's mod.

I believe after finishing my last game of BG1 I ran Tweaks again because I couldn't remember all the settings I had selected...

The WeiDU.log file should should show every component that was installed, including which option of multi-option components.

Actually looking through the WeiDU log reminds me: I had it set to "Party members do not fight" but in my last game, not once but several times Atjantis attacked Viconia and did damage to her, at least once while I was in Durlag's Tower. Not a place I wanted to be dealing with extra damage! Fortunately I was able to take control of both of them each time and stop the fight.

As for Tamah, a recent post (I believe in the fixpack forum) noted that sometimes Mutamin's call for help often includes her...
that is a possibility her class is innocent but her allegiance is neutral and she does have the shout.bcs script. Mutamin has the same script too. So it is possible that if the player kited or lured Mutamin closer to Tamah that she too would turn hostile whether or not she had been released from stone.

I think they gave the shout.bcs script to many non-combat characters so that they'd have a reaction IF the player chose to be evil and attacked anyone they wanted to. But it does cause a lot of other issues at times. Gorpel & Gretek come to mind. All the patrons & the innkeeper would go hostile during that fight cause of the shout.bcs script.

I just noticed something else, reading the Dudleyfix description of some spell changes, it notes Shield was changed to give AC4 in general, 3 vs missiles and 2 vs piercing, and +1 to saving throws. Now I thought that sounded familiar, and sure enough I went in the game and checked my mage book and that is the description for Shield in there. And I never installed any Dudley stuff nor Baldurdash.

I did not see spells like Shield listed in either the G3 Tweaks nor the Fixpack at http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm yet somehow that spell change got put in my install. Strange.

Yeah, my Override folder is absolutely packed with .SPL files., .ARE files, .BCS files....could these have been the result of the "text updates" portion of the Sasha Fixpack?

I don't even know how to install Dudleyfixes, so I can't imagine how all these changed spell files got there.

Yeah, my Override folder is absolutely packed with .SPL files., .ARE files, .BCS files....could these have been the result of the "text updates" portion of the Sasha Fixpack?
The .spl files? No not from the fixpack. the text changes were done in the Game Text Update portion of the fixpack. The text strings themselves were modified and a new dialog.tlk file created to replace the original. The spell files are untouched as they call up the same string number from the dialog.tlk

As I said before (unless you are using and older version) the only spells that the fixpack touches are the 2 magic missile spells. Do ensure that you are using version 0.0013 of the fixpack as that is the latest that was put out for public scrutiny.

Dudley's stuff gets installed by extracting it and putting it into the game's override folder. If you think you have too many files in your override than you should. Try reverting back to a clean install. If you didn't backup your override directory before installing any kind of mod, uninstall and reinstall to get to that 'clean' state. Then backup your override directory paying close attention to what files are in there in an un-modified state.

The WeiDU.log file should should show every component that was installed, including which option of multi-option components.
Multi-component options... :grin: As in what you are trying to say, you are actually installing different components as an option.

Try the NPC components in the Level1NPCs mod, and you'll see exactly what you are missing in the WeiDU.log . As none of the options are logged in.

If you didn't backup your override directory before installing any kind of mod, uninstall and reinstall to get to that 'clean' state. Then backup your override directory paying close attention to what files are in there in an un-modified state.
:cool:

Actually you need to uninstall, remove the game folder and then reinstall the game to get a clean unmodified game...

Yes, the WeiDU mods can be uninstalled to gain clean install, but that's different.

Well I decided to uninstall, delete the Black Isle folder, and start all over. I installed

5 disc BG1

1 disc TotSC

TotSC patch

Baldurdash Fixpack

Dudleyfix packs 1,2,3 and 4

BG1 Unfinished Business

G3 BG1 Tweaks

TotSC DX8 patch (don't ask)

I have already noticed some changes...Larloch's Minor Drain does 4, not 1-4. Feldepost's Inn has a Helmet of Charm Immunity, never seen it before. There are non-magical girdles and bracers everywhere that seem to have no apparent function. I got stung by the "Allow thieving in Heavy Armor" tweak, since it actually makes studded leather have penalties for thieving, whereas I thought the tweak just made non-thief type armors available for thieving, so I had to uninstall that tweak and start a new game.

I don't understand how to read the Dudleyfix spell notes. For example for Burning Hands it says "Reduce saved damage to 1 fixed + 1 fixed/level (unsuccessful save is 1D2 + 1 fixed/level)." The spell description though says it does 1-3 plus 2 points per caster level. Overall the spell still seems as worthless as before, as does Infravision. Not sure what they were thinking with some of these spells.

ok i won't ask about the totsc dx8 patch, but that should have gone before any mods just to be on the safe side. anything from bioware should be installed first before any unofficial addons.

yeah the allow thieving in heavy armor tweak actually adjusts all armors to have the PnP bonuses whether it be positive or negative.

what dudley is saying (as i understand it) in regards to the burning hands spell is that he modified the saved damage (or damage left after making a successful roll to save oneself) is reduced to a fixed amount of 1 + 1 per level (not sure if it is caster or the one receiving the damage) He probably forgot to adjust the spell description or something idk. This is one of the reasons that I don't like Dudley's fixpack. Many times his changes are extremely radical. IF he were to take the time to redo his changes via weidu's patching abilities I think he'd find much easier solutions to many of the situations.

Infravision is only useful IF you have party infravision off and your selected character is not an elf or half-elf. So if you have any elf in your party you can just turn party infravision on and you'll never need to use the spell infravision thus saving yourself a spell slot for something better. Its not a bug or an exploit really, just taking advantage of things that the game has to offer.

the helmet of charm immunity isn't in fieldpost's store in the unmodded game. Grogerson would have to speak up about whether or not tweaks added it in. Of course, dudley could have easily slipped it in and forgot to mention it or something....

QUOTE (plainab @ Sep 28 2011, 05:19 PM) *

If you didn't backup your override directory before installing any kind of mod, uninstall and reinstall to get to that 'clean' state. Then backup your override directory paying close attention to what files are in there in an un-modified state.

eek.gif

Actually you need to uninstall, remove the game folder and then reinstall the game to get a clean unmodified game...

Yes, the WeiDU mods can be uninstalled to gain clean install, but that's different.

you just said what i said only in different words.... only thing different is 'remove the game folder' which I figured would be a given when saying to uninstall -.-

QUOTE (grogerson @ Sep 28 2011, 03:42 AM) *

Multi-component options... tongue.gif As in what you are trying to say, you are actually installing different components as an option.

Try the NPC components in the Level1NPCs mod, and you'll see exactly what you are missing in the WeiDU.log . As none of the options are logged in.

Grogerson was talking about SUBCOMPONENTS cause they do get recorded into the weidu.log file. what you are referring to are READLN options chosen inside a given component. Those are only recorded in the setup-somemod.debug file.

Unfinished Business specifically mentions the Helmet of Charm Protection or whatever it's called, so I'm pretty sure it's from there.

I'm in a temple now and I see Raise Dead scrolls for sale. That is a pretty radical addition to BG1. Even more radical however is that they say the spell costs the recipient a Constitution point. I know this was the pen and paper rule, but it was not implemented in any of the IE games as far as I know, to discourage reloads rather than Raise Deads. Does anyone know whether the Raise Dead spell with the mods I listed actually slurps down CON points permanently? If so, does that also apply to temple Raise Deads? I really dislike incentives to reload rather than pay to Raise Dead, but losing CON points is pretty unacceptable. Even in P&P days I don't remember DMs enforcing this rule.

the Icewind Dale games appear to keep the pen and paper rule about not being able to Raise elves/drow at all, which is even worse. And there doesn't seem to be a mod to address that either.

Archived