bleed effect

rafnow

Does the bleed effect (DVBLEED0.spl, DVBLEED2.spl, DVBLEED5.spl, I think) not work in IR v3? I noticed it with Jhor the Bleeder first: I got the text "bleeding" but then nothing else. Then I tried the Stiletto of Demarchess (sp?); then I also tried the Dart of Wounding. All of them use one of the BLEED spl's (I think) and none of them seem to work in my game.

I'll look into it as soon as I get back from work. As far as I remember there was an issue when first released, but I thought I fixed it back then...we'll see. Note that the current solution doesn't cause any "damage animation" to prevent its vanilla anti-spellcasting OP-ness.

I only managed to find 5 minutes before running again to work, but I tried The Bleeder sword and it works fine! Well, almost fine, because the hp drain indeed works but for some reason the bleeding portrait icon doesn't appear (not that it's going to matter unless such sword is used by the AI). I'll look more into it asap.

As I said the current solution doesn't cause any "damage animation" to prevent its vanilla anti-spellcasting OP-ness, and I'm not using neither vanilla poison opcode nor damage (poison) opcode, thus you don't get any damage text lines. The whole effected is coded to make it an almost new effect (aka a target immune to poison can still bleed) it check for target's type, and you get the "Bleeding" string when it triggers (as you noticed).

That being said, as Incantatar suggested you, if you want to be sure it works "try it on one of your chars and look at their hp".

Thanks for the advice. Yep, it works. I guess it's a little less satisfying without the graphic and/or textual feedback telling you it's happening, but I understand why you dropped it. In any case it works and I'm sorry for the false bug report.

I'll look into it as soon as I get back from work. As far as I remember there was an issue when first released, but I thought I fixed it back then...we'll see. Note that the current solution doesn't cause any "damage animation" to prevent its vanilla anti-spellcasting OP-ness.

Personally, I don't think that bleeding should be treated as such a harmless effect.

It's hard to imagine that a spellcaster wouldn't get at least a bit distracted by an open, bleeding wound.

I thought "we" invented Bleed just to have an effect that wouldn't affect spell-casting? Sure Bleed could be made to interrupt, but wouldn't we still need an effect that worked that way? Like.. In minor continuous pain?

Still, as ex-Army I'd contend that you can be in pretty bad shape as far as trauma and loss of blood goes and still function somewhat ok. Until it's lights out, that is (and you can bleed pretty badly internally without even knowing it...). And the Bleed-effect is surely not meant to emulate major haemorrhaging anyway?

Still, as ex-Army I'd contend that you can be in pretty bad shape as far as trauma and loss of blood goes and still function somewhat ok.

"Somewhat ok" is not a condition that I'd deem sufficient for a spell caster to gain the appropriate mental concentration.

I would readily agree, were it not for one simple thing - how can the very same character can cast without any restriction in "Nearly Dead" condition?

For two reasons, I think: 1) Gameplay: requiring the caster to be fully healed to be able to cast would inhibit him from casting spells most of the time 2) Stabilized health: a caster can be very weak because of earlier injuries but still stable in its status (not constantly debilitated by a health draining effect like bleeding)

Archived