Fire & Magic Fire ( IWDII )

Callirgos

Could someone explain fire resistance and magic fire resistance ?

It's not like BGII, these seem like actual numbers instead of a percentage.

Also I noticed two odd numbers in various resistance fields; 108, -128

Do these have a special function?

AFAIK all resistances in iwd2 are like damage soaking/reduction, just without the enchantment level (as there is none). Magic fire and magic cold are separate damage types, but in some cases caused crashes in bg2, so I don't think they are used much if at all. Maybe that was fixed in iwd2 though.

I did a cursory check on spells and weapons. I didn't see magic fire or magic cold damage type used. Maybe it's completely an artifact.

Though looking at the damage resistances it looks like there was a guideline for somekind of relationship between fire damage and magic fire damage. I guess it wasn't cut in preproduction.

AFAIK all resistances in iwd2 are like damage soaking/reduction, just without the enchantment level (as there is none). Magic fire and magic cold are separate damage types, but in some cases caused crashes in bg2, so I don't think they are used much if at all. Maybe that was fixed in iwd2 though.

IIRC the BG2 issue with magic cold and magic fire was that the damage works fine, but the game crashes if a creature dies from magic fire/cold. You'll find a few items that provide resistance to magic fire/cold damage, but nothing should actually be causing it. I've no idea what the situation for IWD2 is.

Magic fire/cold is safe to use in iwd2, though it is unused.

For catalogue or spreadsheet, use dltcep's search item function, with opcode 12, feed it into an excel sheet and massage it with macros.

Sample output:

SGRASP3

Found opcode HP: Damage [12] (4 262144) in feature block #1 of extended header #1

SGRASP4

Found opcode HP: Damage [12] (4 262144) in feature block #1 of extended header #1

SGRASP5

Archived