Crash to Desktop during CHAR generation

St_Vitruvius

So.. I create theese kit and installs the mod.. First couple of kits works just fine.. But last keeps crashing the game when I click on "Skills" during char generation!

I figure it must be some form of syntax error in the tp2, but I've not been able to locate it.. So I thought I might need a fresh pair of eyes on it..

Can anyone see if somethings off?

The kits causing trouple is the Infiltrator and the Elven Paladin..

setup-elven_pack.tp2

I don't see anything odd from a quick look. You can try taking the code from one of your working kits and pasting parts of it over a non-working one until you discover which part is causing the crash. I'd start with the proficiency lines and the CLAB files.

Btw, thread moved to Modding Q&A forum.

Well, if I were you, I would remove(replace the number with a zero) the EXTRA2 EXTRA3... 2's from each kit. And the 2's or 5's from the start, as the game can lock into the level upscreen if these fields are available while the character gains more proficiency points that he cannot place into the fields that can be filled in the normal game.

My theory of the crash is that the "SRInfilrat" kit code is just too long to fit into the WEAPPROF.2da file...

And if you installed both that and the Elven Paladin, the game could crash because the table is corrupted ...

So.. After a day of testing, editing and more testing I've finally figured out where the problem is.. But I have absolutely no idea what so ever what is causing it..

The problem is in the CLAB-file for the kits: When using a 'blank' clab-file, I can create the character just fine. The problem shows ONLY when I add the spl calling the script changing the class!

So I started over, creating the clab-file again, creating both .baf- and .spl-files again (by copying and editing one doing exactly the same, just changing to a different class) and then the game crashes!

Any ideas?

SRELFPAL.zip

I haven't look at the files, but one way you can cause chargen crashes is impossible requirements--i.e. a kit that requires 18 CHR but the race maxes out at 16 or somesuch.

However, since removing the CLAB file removes the crash, you've probably got a buggy spell in there somewhere.

So after yet another round of editing and testing I've managed to solve the problem..

After looking on some of my working kits, and on other mods adding kits, I decided to rename the .spl's to somthing on a max. of 7 characters. And suddenly it worked!

Now the question is, and this I can't seem to figure out, why does the .spl-file added in the clab SOMETIMES need to have a name of max. of 7 characters, when I have other kits in the same mod working containing 8?

Has anyone else seen this?

Archived