Odd question...

Tarlonniel

I'm clueless about programming, so I thought I might ask this here and perhaps someone would be bored enough to reply ...

I'm a bit of a spelling/grammar nazi, so when I spot an error in a mod I like to go in and fix it, for my own personal satisfaction. With other mods this has been easy: find the .tra file, make the correction via Notepad, do a quick re-install. But when I make any changes to a .tra file from this mod, the re-installation fails - an error pops up which says something about an " ï " in row 1, column 1. Da heck??

This is usually if the text was edited using MSWord? It leaves invisible symbols the installer chokes upon.

-Do not open the tra-files with MSWord, but with a common editor (like notepad, or notepad++)

-The encoding of the tras is ANSI, but while installed on BG:EE, it is UTF8 (without BOM). I think using notepad++ for editing gives the least chance to screw the text up, formatting wise.

Neat! I did contemplate messing around with the code a bit - adding some additional Xan-targeted flirts, perhaps ;) - but after peeking at the files, I figured it would be best if I stayed far, far away from reprogramming and just stuck to a little rewriting in places. Much safer.

Oh, I have all sorts of ideas, and most of them have ended up in Xan's .tra files already. Can't wait to get started on BG2 (muahahaha!). If Kulyok is brave enough to have a look, I'll gladly let her... as long as she doesn't have any tendencies towards murdering those who tinker with her lovingly-crafted prose... ;)

Well, I'm not sure how useful the files will be to y'all, since they're full of cosmetic alterations alongside pure error corrections, plus I made some significant changes to several flirts and lovetalks so they'd better reflect my spoony little elven bard. But I can certainly upload them here, just in case someone decides they're worth taking a looking at. But I'll need to get them in the proper format first (darn those invisible ï's!)...

Archived