Question to MKDIR ~portraits~

jastey

What does "MKDIR ~portraits~" do - I guess it creates a folder "portraits" in the main game folder - but what is it for (I assume for PC portraits)?

(I see this in gavin.tp2. Am I assuming right that the MKDIR ~portraits~ line could be deleted in this case?

/* Portrait Assignment */
MKDIR ~portraits~
COPY ~GAVIN/CRE/B!GAVINL.bmp~ ~override/bgavinL.bmp~
COPY ~GAVIN/CRE/B!GAVINS.bmp~ ~override/bgavinS.bmp~

(I see this in gavin.tp2. Am I assuming right that the MKDIR ~portraits~ line could be deleted in this case?

Yeah, it could be that it was left there due to the mod being tested and never removed. Now, the insane thing is, any files in there in the BGxEE games will actually overwrite the override folders files :p ... source.

"portraits" may not necessarily exist and COPY will fail if it doesn't. Hence it is always a good idea to MKDIR any directory you are going to be writing to (you can except the override, because WeiDU guarantees that it does exist). MKDIR is harmless if the target already exists. (And files in "portraits" override the override files on regular BG(2) too, not just on EE.) Edit: this is, of course, slightly off-topic, since "portraits" isn't being written to, here.

Also, if you want to do something like this *and* make it work on the Enhanced Editions, you'll need to use MKDIR ~%USER_DIRECTORY%/portraits~ instead (otherwise you'll end up creating the folder on the game's directory instead in the one the game actually looks for the portraits).

Archived