Level check

Salk

Hello!

Is there a way to check the level of a character's specific class in case of multiclass/dual characters?

I guess

Level(O:Object*,I:Level*)

checks for the sum of levels from each class but what I need is to check just the mage class level.

Any suggestions?

You can check individual levels, by checking LEVEL, LEVEL2 and LEVEL3 with CheckStat; for instance,

Class(Player1,FIGHTER_MAGE)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,LEVEL2)
returns true iff Player 1 is a fighter/mage multi or dual with mage level 12+. But if you don't know the class of the object you're checking, you're going to need a lot of code.

What's the task you need it for? There might be another way around it.

You can check individual levels, by checking LEVEL, LEVEL2 and LEVEL3 with CheckStat; for instance,

returns true iff Player 1 is a fighter/mage multi or dual with mage level 12+. But if you don't know the class of the object you're checking, you're going to need a lot of code.

What's the task you need it for? There might be another way around it.

I am curious about this as well.

Could you shorten it with a couple "OR"'s? Eg:

OR(4)
Class(Player1,CLERIC_MAGE)
Class(Player1,FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC)
Class(Player1,FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF)
And then:

OR(2)
Class(Player1,MAGE)
Class(Player1,MAGE_THIEF)
CheckStatGT(Player1,11,LEVEL)
?

Thanks for your suggestion, DavidW.

Player1's class is just what I need to check. I have been working on a modification of the Find Familiar spell and I have the Familiar level up with the protagonist. The way it is now, it levels up no matter if a multiclass protagonist improves in other classes other than mage. I am not so sure whether or not it should be so.

In a way, it makes sense that the Familiar levels up only when it's the mage class to advance. On the other hand, the risk is that at later stages of the game, the Familiar's level will be so low that keeping him alive would become too difficult.

I still wanted to know what options I had.

Of course if you, or anybody else, have a suggestion/opinion about it, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for your suggestion, DavidW.

Player1's class is just what I need to check. I have been working on a modification of the Find Familiar spell and I have the Familiar level up with the protagonist. The way it is now, it levels up no matter if a multiclass protagonist improves in other classes other than mage. I am not so sure whether or not it should be so.

In a way, it makes sense that the Familiar levels up only when it's the mage class to advance. On the other hand, the risk is that at later stages of the game, the Familiar's level will be so low that keeping him alive would become too difficult.

I still wanted to know what options I had.

Of course if you, or anybody else, have a suggestion/opinion about it, I'd love to hear it.

Well, no other mage spell improves with non caster levels, so I don't see why find familiar should either.

Still, it may not be much fun for a multi or especially triple class. I'm tempted to suggest that other class levels should half count, but that seems like it'd be a nightmare to code...maybe I'm wrong?

Well, no other mage spell improves with non caster levels, so I don't see why find familiar should either.

Still, it may not be much fun for a multi or especially triple class. I'm tempted to suggest that other class levels should half count, but that seems like it'd be a nightmare to code...maybe I'm wrong?

It might be doable.

The problem, the way I see it, is still conceptual. Why would the Familiar's level advance with half when the protagonist improves a non caster level anyway? Aside balancing reasons, of course. I am pretty much indecisive about this.

it's not a magic entity in the sense that it feeds of your arcane power. I don't see why it wouldn't get xp just like any other party member.

That's also worth considering.

But a familiar is not a common pet per se and its presence is the product of a spell so...

Depending on how the familiar is implemented, you could do it by adding special abilities to the CLAB file that controls mage-class levelling. Make a spell that levels up the familiar and put it in the CLAB files to be applied every time the mage gains a level.

... a summoning/binding spell, not much else. For all you know, you've called in a /fit/izen that will train night and day to improve himself and should actually progress faster than the master.

The problem is that in theory, a character might be a level 20 fighter then dual to Mage, cast Find Familiar and finds himself with a familiar of level 21... The familiar starts always at level 1 but immediately acquire the level of the Master.

Archived