Got it running on Nexus 7

tormentor

Yes, compiles, builds and runs beautifully now, with sound.

This is a good build, seeing as touch input is much improved and a ton of bugs are fixed.

*high-fives lynx*

Edit: The Linux build is also pretty spiffy now, I've been testing that on the side and it's just impressive how far this project has come.

Here's my build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q0bqy0d2330cgb/GemRB_android_101115_tormentor.apk?dl=0

To be honest, I'm not sure a gui is needed anymore.

The issue with erroring out on the cache path was fixed, IIRC. That was a big one. It should always write a log now. The other main issue was with not loading the config at all. That, too, is fixed.

If you're running anything on Android, it is a good idea to go to the google play store and install a file manager. This allows you to browse your Android device's "hard disk" and also search for files (such as GemRB.log and GemRB.cfg.) It's a must have. This will also allow you to empty or create a cache folder if needed. You might also want to install a text editor in order to edit the config file more easily.

There are just two paths involved with a GemRB / Baldur's Gate (or Torment, or IWD) install on Android:

/sdcard/gemrb (this is where it puts its default BG1 folder upon install, as if to invite you to put your other game folders alongside that. The default config already points to this path, even.)

and

/sdcard/Android/data/net.sourceforge.gemrb/files (this is where it installs its own files, including a default GemRB.cfg. Never install your game data to this path if you can avoid it because it gets deleted if you choose to uninstall your current GemRB .apk.)

The latter path can vary slightly on different devices (except the "net.sourceforge.gemrb" part), but if you have a file manager, you can just search for "gemrb" and you'll find it.

The GemRB.log will always appear in the path that contains "chitin.key" and the game data, in my experience.

If your device is rooted, you can install an app called "alogcat" and see a lot more information than GemRB.log will ever show you, including crash information. The other way to see this "hidden" log output (without rooting the device) is to install the Android SDK on your PC, install the USB debug driver for your device (not needed under recent Ubuntu systems) and connect it to your PC, enable "USB debugging" in your device's developer settings, and use the program "adb" to open a "root shell" on the device and run "logcat" in that shell.

You'll have to enable "USB debugging" and "Unknown sources" to install .apk files that don't come from the google play store, and to copy over your game folder, anyway.

Consider installing some app that enables "immersive mode" (removes the Android panel) so GemRB can take up the entirety of your screen. I chose "GMD Immersive" from the google play store.

Regarding screen resolution, find out what your screen's aspect ratio is (Nexus 7 is 8:5) and then google for a list of official resolutions matching that aspect ratio. I chose 768x480 because this leaves the various buttons big enough to be touched easily. Program this into the widescreen mod and then put it in the config. :grad:

bg2_widescreen_nexus7.png

you're a developer, but our target audience includes casual users, so we should make things as simple and bulletproof as possible. Installing extra apps is a chore. Also regressions creep up (like the config thing) and that's unavoidable.

nothing changed wrt cache dir handling.

the old gemrb version that should still be on google play had a nice gui for starting up, where you could choose games and tweak several (sdl) settings without editing files. It could also download the bg2 demo for you, so you could quickly see if the machine is strong enough.

Once we reach parity or thereabouts, the play version will restart getting updated and it will be trivial to install gemrb once again.

OK, maybe the Android user base really isn't used to installing things manually. I can see that. Please understand my little guide as aimed at the, hm, interested then :evilplan:

Or at the "early adopters."

nothing changed wrt cache dir handling.

Well, it reads the config now, so no longer tries to use "./Cache" :)

I'm looking for a volunteer. :help: Long ago a user wrote this:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24499&st=0

it needs to be updated for the current way of doing things, sooner or later put on the wiki and then linked in various places to avoid avoidable confusion. You can actually see some of the old config gui in there and there are several other parts that can be shortened or deleted.

Here is a dump, since the original was already nicely formatted:

http://paste.debian.net/316010/

Hi, everybody,

registered to say a big THANKS to tormentor (and all other developers!) for his apk! After fiddling with other builds found at sourceforge (which didn't install at all or were just from 2012), I managed to get Planescape to start up (with Intro Movie), build my character, talk to Morte and walk around (for more I lacked time so far...). Panning the map works, saving also.

I get the impression, that the GOG version I tried runs a bit smoother and faster (even without Tweak and Fix mod or Wide-screen mod) than the NON-GOG VERSION. Both in German.

BUT: I can ONLY see the red and white font of the dialog box, NOT the grey font (the stuff that others say to to me!). Running the game on the PC shows the grey fonts. All other fonts are completely there.

What went wrong? Are there any fixes? Is the language pack causing this?

Another complaint is the very small Font size (which makes choosing dialog options almost impossible) while talking. Almost forgot: I run a 2012 Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.4.

I'm certainly no developer, just a "interested user" by the way....

Keep on with the great work :thumbsup:, please and Happy New Year!

You can try using TTF fonts to get them bigger (and even choose a color), but there's also a font mod out there. Not sure if it supports all German diacritics though, so I think you're better off with a proper unicode font. Check out our wiki.

Hello lynx,

thanks a lot for your quick reply! Spent some time with GUI mods and the fonts.2da file but had no effort...

The mods are not compatible with the GemRB engine while installing (to be more precise: the fonts mod is not compatible with the widescreen mod in GemRB-mode). Installing the mods to the Infinity engine had no effect.

Using TTF - Fonts wasn't successful either - my fonts2.da file looks quite different from the one found at http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:ttf.

I placed the fonts.2da file directly in gemrb/pst/override and also (to be sure) in the override/pst folder at Android/data/net.sourceforge.gemrb. The fonts folder (directly copied from /system/fonts) was placed in gemrb/pst.

Any suggestions ?

Here my fonts.2da :

2DA V1.0
FONTDLG
RESREF NEED_PALETTE FONT_NAME PX_SIZE STYLE COLOR
0 FONTDLG 1 DroidSans 18 0 0xffffffff
1 TRMTFONT 1 TRMTFONT 18 0 0xffffffff
2 EXOFONT 1 EXOFONT 18 0 0xffffffff
3 POSTANT 1 POSTANT 18 0 0xffffffff
4 NUMBER 0 NUMBER 18 0 0xffffffff
5 NUMBER2 0 NUMBER2 18 0 0xffffffff
6 NUMBER3 0 NUMBER3 18 0 0xffffffff
7 SYSFONT 1 SYSFONT 18 0 0xffffffff
8 FONTDLG 1 FONTDLG 18 0 0xffffffff

# Customization How To: http://gemrb.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:ttf

Here also my path to the fonts folder:

CustomFontPath=/sdcard/gemrb/pst/fonts

Any help is welcome - Thanks in advance!

No unfortunately not! I tried for quite a long time (I can be quite stubborn ;-) ) to install the newer versions. 8.333333 and 8.3 would not install at all or update from older versions (tried many different variations) - 8.1 either. Only newer version I could get to run was torment's apk linked here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q0bqy0d2330cgb/GemRB_android_101115_tormentor.apk?dl=0 in Post #61...

I tried to run it with GOG and Non-GOG version, in English or with German Languagepatch, with Widescreenpatch or without. All I get is superb function at the PC. On Android: Intro video and Characterbuilding, Sound, Save and Load function, red and white text are fully functional but the grey text (things that I say) is totally missing with every try....

Where would I find the logfiles ?

Again - thanks for caring!

Archived