Help needed: converting map icons to BG2/Tutu style

K4thos

I've noticed that BG1 version of NTotSC has 2 new unique icons. BGT version reuses Durlag Tower and Friendly Arm Inn instead. Here is how they look in the original BG1 release:

AR30PB%20-%20Northern%20Citadel.PNG

ARC001%20-%20Castle%20Daerthmac.PNG

Vanilla BG1 worldmap used black and white icons without animations. If someone would be interested in converting them to BG2/Tutu style than I'd like to add these icons into EET Worldmap icon file. They could be also added to BP-BGT Worldmap if Wisp won't be against it.

What needs to be done:
- adding colours

- few frames with blue and red boarder/shading

Here is a package with these icons as well as icons from BG2 and Tutu for reference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vh2yj9lsvcx1fmz/icons.zip?dl=0

Completely forgot that while working on BP-BGT Worldmap EE engine update I've assigned existing tutu mountain icons for new areas added by Beamdog due to lack of skill to convert them myself, so there are 2 more icons that would benefit from BG2/Tutu style conversion.

OH2000 - Adoy's Enclave

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35433122/OH2000%20-%20Adoy's%20Enclave.PNG

OH3000 - Cloud Peaks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35433122/OH3000%20-%20Cloud%20Peaks.PNG

Also the arrow in Ulgoth's Beard icon doesn't make any sense on BP-BGT Worldmap and EET Worldmap. It was added there in vanilla BG1 due to lack of space on the map to show where the icon should be placed canonically, so removing it sounds like a good idea.

Link to the package in the first post has been updated.

Hey there,

I am by no means a photoshop expert but since no one else volunteered I gave it a shot.

Some notes:

I had some issues getting the right color for the grayed out versions.

Can't really tell whether they will stick out among the originals or not since my color vision is pretty bad.

Let me know if they will do.

*edit* new download link, included Ulgoth's Beard and fixed some pixle issues.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByC2MsHREt59Q2RXYzN0ejdpQ3M/view?usp=sharing

Thank you Ulb. Nice work, indeed. They will be added to EET Worldmap soon. I will also send them to Wisp to add into BP-BGT Worldmap too. If he agree they will be probably added around the SoD release because the map will need to be updated with new icons at that point.

No problem.

On a related note:

I noticed that the icons used for IWD-in-EET are pretty far off the usual BG2/TuTu style.

If you are interested I could try to craft some BG2 style icons, though I can't vouch for their quality since I'd have to mostly build them from the ground.

I must admit I have never played IWD outside of a BG2 installation with NeJ a few years back, so I would need a list of the areas that need world map icons and if possible their actual area file names in the original IWD/IWD2.

I noticed that the icons used for IWD-in-EET --- so I would need a list of the areas that need world map icons and if possible their actual area file names in the original IWD/IWD2.

They can all be seen here, in the upper corner of the picture. The ID**** 's are the Icewind Dale ones and the IW**** are from IWD2. And yes, they look very unlike the others.

And yeah, I encourage you to try to upgrade them to look more like the BGs ones.

The ID**** 's are the Icewind Dale ones and the IW**** are from IWD2. And yes, they look very unlike the others.

Thank you, makes a lot of sense now that you've mentioned it.

I seem to remember reading that only parts of IWD2 will be integrated into IWD-in-EET, can anyone confirm that all IWD2 icons on the linked map will indeed be used?

I have noticed that ID1000 and ID1100 are the same area though ID1100 seems to represent an earlier/later state of the same map and the most prominent landmark is missing/covered by ice.

Would it still be appropriate to use that landmark (temple with blue windows) for the map icon or would that make no sense?

I've compiled a list of all areas in need of a new icon.
It would be nice if some of you more familiar with the game could go over the list and maybe leave a few comments about things like that..

ID2000

ID2100

ID3000

ID3600

ID4000

ID5000

ID6000

ID7000

ID8001

ID9100

ID9200

ID9300

ID9500

ID9600

IW1000

IW1100

IW1200

IW2000

IW2102

IW3000

IW4000

IW4100

IW5001

IW5004

IW5005

IW5102

IW5200

IW5300

IW6000

IW6104

IW6200

IW6201

I noticed that the icons used for IWD-in-EET are pretty far off the usual BG2/TuTu style.

If you are interested I could try to craft some BG2 style icons, though I can't vouch for their quality since I'd have to mostly build them from the ground.

Sounds awesome. If you're going to create IWD icons I'd suggest using BG2 style rather than Tutu for them. Due to different color scheme and weird white boarders, Tutu icons are also pretty far off the usual BG2 ones :p

Would it still be appropriate to use that landmark (temple with blue windows) for the map icon or would that make no sense?

Saradush uses the same icon before and after city is destroyed, so don't worry about such details.

I seem to remember reading that only parts of IWD2 will be integrated into IWD-in-EET, can anyone confirm that all IWD2 icons on the linked map will indeed be used?

all IWD2 worldmap areas that doesn't duplicate IWD1 ones will be used (so no Kuldahar, The Severed Hand and Dragon's Eye - notice that IWD2 variants of these places are not shown in the reference map)

Great, I'll give it a go then.

As for the icon style, they will most likely end up being closer to the ToB icons (a little more abstract than the original BG2 ones, more color) since I can't really draw with a mouse and will have to resort to using the actual maps as assets.

Archived