How would one prevent making IWD-in-EET too easy?

Unkinhead

I do still expect mega-mod creators to keep some kind of internal balance.

I fully agree with that, I would even add that mod creators should try to keep as well the balance of the game they envision as their target.

When I talked of some *self-discipline* I had in mind a mod like Dark Horizons, it is like it is and not under development anymore - still the story of it (Sarevok not only sends some amateurish assassins after you, but he is a real sinister guy that makes deals with the devil to hunt you down - including the aspect that even for Sarevok things can easily get out of his control) is a very good addition to the BG1 part of the game. So either you make a mod for the mod to remove the 100 or so OP items and streams of potions, or you just do not pick them up and thus have some fun with it.

Edited by Roxanne

Back on topic, and I guess without being too spoilery: does anyone know when and where the "100 years" thing is mentioned? Is it only in the ending narration?

Because maybe the way address the story inconsistency is to simply eliminate that narration. Here's this guy trying to invade Toril, his physical form gets killed and a portal is sealed, then a few weeks or mo the later... hey, that's one persistent sonuvagun!

I'd almost like to put him at the end of Watcher's Keep, too. And outside the Planar Sphere when it parks in the lower planes. "Heya! It's me again!" :p

Edited by subtledoctor

I do still expect mega-mod creators to keep some kind of internal balance.

I fully agree with that, I would even add that mod creators should try to keep as well the balance of the game they envision as their target.

When I talked of some *self-discipline* I had in mind a mod like Dark Horizons, it is like it is and not under development anymore - still the story of it (Sarevok not only sends some amateurish assassins after you, but he is a real sinister guy that makes deals with the devil to hunt you down - including the aspect that even for Sarevok things can easily get out of his control) is a very good addition to the BG1 part of the game. So either you make a mod for the mod to remove the 100 or so OP items and streams of potions, or you just do not pick them up and thus have some fun with it.

I know! I love the concept, but not the imbalance. I may have to try what you suggest one day.

Back on topic, and I guess without being too spoilery: does anyone know when and where the "100 years" thing is mentioned? Is it only in the ending narration?

Because maybe the way address the story inconsistency is to simply eliminate that narration. Here's this guy trying to invade Toril, his physical form gets killed and a portal is sealed, then a few weeks or mo the later... hey, that's one persistent sonuvagun!

I'd almost like to put him at the end of Watcher's Keep, too. And outside the Planar Sphere when it parks in the lower planes. "Heya! It's me again!" :p

Yes, back on topic. No more de-railings into philosophical debates, you Gibberlings! (who me? Never!) :p

I love this idea, Subtledoctor. Recurring villains are fun. :D

Even if we don't alter the original content by adding him into WK or the Planar Sphere, chopping off the end narration sounds like a fantastic way to loop him back into the BG/SoD story.

chopping off the end narration sounds like a fantastic way to loop him back into the BG/SoD story.

I have looked into this earlier already (there was a separate topic on this a while back). It took five minutes work to change that endguy's name (it is never mentioned anywhere else in the whole IWD1 but one time and is completely irrelevant to the rest of the story) and to skip that narration - it makes no sense to keep it if IWD is just an episode within the larger EET story.

Looks like the original makers just pulled out some name for that creature and did not care much,,,Just imagine that final scene with another name given to the boss and you will see that it will work just the same.

Very simple solution but removes a lot of issues...and it does not feel like slaughtering any holy cow.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27995&do=findComment&comment=244095

Edited by Roxanne

I like that idea in principle Roxanne - that would be my first choice. Problem is, as mentioned in that thread, other things do mention the name, including at least one voiceover which cannot really be edited. But the problem is not necessarily the name; it's just that hundred years thing. Eliminate that, and it doesn't matter. With the following two caveats:

1) If the voiceover where the name is spoken is the final, post/fight voiceover, then here too eliminating that cutscene solves the problem.

2) I have not played through the end of SoD yet, so I don't know whether any dialogues or voiceovers refer to the hundred years thing, or to the events of IWD1/2.

Edited by subtledoctor

I like that idea in principle Roxanne - that would be my first choice. Problem is, as mentioned in that thread, other things do mention the name, including at least one voiceover which cannot really be edited. But the problem is not necessarily the name; it's just that hundred years thing. Eliminate that, and it doesn't matter. With the following two caveats:

1) If the voiceover where the name is spoken is the final, post/fight voiceover, then here too eliminating that cutscene solves the problem.

2) I have not played through the end of SoD yet, so I don't know whether any dialogues or voiceovers refer to the hundred years thing, or to the events of IWD1/2.

AFAK there is no reference to IWD or the 100 years.

If one does not know IWD then his name has absolutely no meaning in SoD. He could just as well be called Hans and nothing would change.

AFAK there is no reference to IWD or the 100 years.

If one does not know IWD then his name has absolutely no meaning in SoD. He could just as well be called Hans and nothing would change.

The name of the guy in both cases is something that comes up in the final scenes only and could indeed be anything in both cases. To change it in IWD is just simpler (as outlined in my other post) - also you visit the SoD guy in his own home (a bit of lore involved here), while the IWD guy came up to the prime (it could be just any of those creatures).

And by changing the strrefs of that IWD end screen, the reference to the voicefile goes as well, so it is a silent screen (and as such adequate to end a quest sequence - this is what it will be in IWD-in-EET. End of a quest not end of a game, so no fanfares...)

Edited by Roxanne