SCS v32 Release Candidate (now Version 10) Available for Testing

On 5/1/2019 at 6:21 PM, DavidW said:

With respect, it’s not my job to check out every possible bug with every possible mod in case it might be caused by SCS. You can check these things yourself (the Cure spell too): just uninstall SCS and see if the issue persists.

It was not SCS, by the way, but Atweaks, as you can see here, if you are curious: http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/307/doing-a-eet-playthrough-some-notes/p1 [may 3, post By Sergio]

By the way, I've got another feature request... well I should say two feature requests:

1) a component to make the potions undispellable;
2) you add potions of extrahealing to sellers. Any chance you could add an .ini option so one can actually force sellers to have unlimited amounts of these potions? Beside, it would be cool if that could happen for every potions, not only potions of extrahealing (apart from potion of healing).
When I use SCS I find myself always fucked having the 'canon' party? I mean, Jaheira is not able to sustain my party, and I'm a good bhaalspawn (with the related good powers) + Khalid, Minsc, Dinhaeir and Imoen. Today I got frustrated over a fight because I finished my potions :(

46 minutes ago, Arthas said:

When I use SCS I find myself always fucked having the 'canon' party? I mean, Jaheira is not able to sustain my party, and I'm a good bhaalspawn (with the related good powers) + Khalid, Minsc, Dinhaeir and Imoen. Today I got frustrated over a fight because I finished my potions :(

Khalid is a relatively good tank... but realistically he is a better stone statute for the party. And replaced by Branwen. So yes, you really should have two healers... not just a half of a one. And it's Dynaheir.

You are not supposed to be hit by anything in BG1 part of the game (exceptions I can think of are the Air Aspect inside Durlag's Tower and PnP Helmed Horrors from aTweaks, if you use them).

Get your ranged weapons up and running and don't try to bum rush any wizards unless you have arrows of dispelling to spare. Jaheira isn't there to heal, she's your CC bot. 

Potions being undispellable: why? i.e. what would make this a good component in SCS? It would seem to contradict source-material lore and reduce tactical complexity.

ini control over number of healing potions: will consider.

unlimited other potions: almost certainly not, way out of scope for SCS.

Canon party: I don’t see any principled reason it’s not viable, though I haven’t tried it myself and of course it depends on your own character’s class. (Note that in high-intensity AD&D combat around the late-BG1 level, if you’re having to cast lots of healing spells in battle you’re probably in trouble anyway: the typical enemy does more damage per round than your spells can heal.)

35 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Potions being undispellable: why? i.e. what would make this a good component in SCS? It would seem to contradict source-material lore and reduce tactical complexity.

Canon party: I don’t see any principled reason it’s not viable, though I haven’t tried it myself and of course it depends on your own character’s class. (Note that in high-intensity AD&D combat around the late-BG1 level, if you’re having to cast lots of healing spells in battle you’re probably in trouble anyway: the typical enemy does more damage per round than your spells can heal.)

Potions being alchemical compounds rather than external imputations ... aka they release their content as a stream rather than a casting, so their effects should be stream like. AND really hard to dispel with unspoken words.

The sold amount of potions also drains the party gold, so the unlimited is not really unlimited, just a reduction to find the next 20 places to buy them from. That's the idea of the request.

And nope, I don't use healing potions... really, which is why I have 2 healers... most of the runs.

Trouble with THE canon party is that you don't have enough heals to get cured from the damage taken during combat, the next combat's going to get everyone dead. This has nothing to do with healing spells being slow to cast... but being unable to cast barely any at all even after the combat ends. Level 8 party: Ranger, zero healing spells. Druid/fighter has a few. Invoker, zero healing spells. Fighter, zero healing spells. Thief, zero healing spells. With them, it takes days to heal completely, and the SCS fights whip out pretty much the whole party ... in some cases. And no, the game area should only take 1 rest... not 25. Which is why the Branwen... but that's a topic on it's own, and should there in the above-linked topic.

It's a pretty grim brother.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Potions being alchemical compounds rather than external imputations ... aka they release their content as a stream rather than a casting, so their effects should be stream like. AND really hard to dispel with unspoken words.

The sold amount of potions also drains the party gold, so the unlimited is not really unlimited, just a reduction to find the next 20 places to buy them from. That's the idea of the request.

And nope, I don't use healing potions... really, which is why I have 2 healers... most of the runs.

Trouble with THE canon party is that you don't have enough heals to get cured from the damage taken during combat, the next combat's going to get everyone dead. This has nothing to do with healing spells being slow to cast... but being unable to cast barely any at all even after the combat ends. Level 8 party: Ranger, zero healing spells. Druid/fighter has a few. Invoker, zero healing spells. Fighter, zero healing spells. Thief, zero healing spells. With them, it takes days to heal completely, and the SCS fights whip out pretty much the whole party ... in some cases. And no, the game area should only take 1 rest... not 25. Which is why the Branwen... but that's a topic on it's own, and should there in the above-linked topic.

It's a pretty grim brother.

1. is this a p&p idea? i don't think so. it seems like a ridiculous post-hoc realist conceptualization of something that's not supposed to be realistic. magical potions produce magical effects. dispel dispels magical effects. a more abstract level of conceptualization without the anatomical nitty-gritty is much more appropriate for such high fantasy...

2. with the present amount of gold you could buy many more potions of all sorts than you could ever hope to use. so, that game economy rationale is not very sound. currently, potion scarcity is real and meaningful (a little bit at least)

3. that's fine i guess, but i never use healing spells, and never have. i use healing potions all the time, often to just heal between fights (instead of rest-scumming)

(..)

4. mods don't have to support the sad canon party construct because it's a crutch of the original (...and subsequent :rolleyes:) developers, not modders. SoD technically retcons the canon party into "forced party" anyway...

Edited by bob_veng
13 minutes ago, bob_veng said:

1... is much more appropriate for such high fantasy...

Well, the game has what, 9 types of special magic types. You really think all of them will be easy to dispel. Dispel a summoned skeleton, and it's not that easy, as the bones won't fall to the ground, and no damage is inflicted. And it's a second level spell. Just saying that a high magic world can have its own peculiarities that can vary a lot.

And right, there's only 1 p&p game, and we are all subscribed to its ideas without any of our own.

@Davidw: honestly the potions being undispellable came to me because currently, in my playthrough, using potions turned out to be completely useless. Every fight against every mage starts with them casting dispel magic and consequently, even if I "pre-buffed with potions", they all get dispelled. There is no point at all at having potions, it's like if they are an element that was completely removed from my game.

In my current game, the only potions that turned out being used sometimes is oil of speed to flee from enemies or when I find people that are as strong as me and I need the edge, provided that they don't have dispel magic!
Now that I truly think about it, I also used oil of fiery burning (is that a potion? Given that I'm talking about self-buffing, I don't think so)

I already know someone will say "hey, you are not supposed to use them anyway in every fight! just use them against basilisk or sirene!" but these enemies do not prove any real challenge and to be honest, using a potions to beat them is not the most optimal idea.
Why not use greenstone against Sirene?
Or protection from petrification with Basilisks?

Well I had to ask.

For the potions request (ini), no worries. My interest was mostly about stores selling potions of extrahealing (that's all I care about: but in the end, I decided to use eekeeper to exchange the gold I have with potions of extrahealing.). I never bought any other potions because the fact that I am always forced to chug these potions of magic resistance or shielding as last, and they last X seconds (and in my game fights with mages do not last 30 seconds or 60 seconds)is not worth it.

Edited by Arthas

Well, 'difficult' is in the eye of the beholder, but only a minority of the battles in BG are against mages. If you want a couple of examples of difficult non-mage battles, let's go with the Bandit camp escape, the fight against Love, Pride, Avarice and Fear in the basement of Durlag's tower, and Bassilus.