NPC Project v8 Installation Failure

misterundertoes

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this kind of information, so if anyone wants to direct me elsewhere, please do. Anyway, I'm having trouble installing the BG1 NPC Project v8. I'll include a lists of the things I've installed first:

BG1 ToTSC

ToTSC Patch

BG2SoA

BG2SoA patch

Baldurdash BG1, BG2 Fixes and Text Updates, newest versions

BGtutu v4

TutuFix v9

When I tried to install the NPC project v8, however, I couldn't apply the "core install." Here's the message I got:

[bG1NPC/creatures/X#KABAND.cre] loaded, 1256 bytes

Copied [bG1NPC/creatures/X#KABAND.cre] to [override/X#KABAND.cre]

Copying and patching 1 file ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [COMPON11.ITM] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu: Core Install], rolling back to previous state

[bG1NPC/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

[bG1NPC/backup/0/UNINSTALL.0] loaded, 978 bytes

Will uninstall 47 files for [bG1NPC.TP2] component 0.

I don't have any experience with IE editing, so I looked up "compon11.itm" online. It seemed to be a ToB item, so I tried uninstalling everything, reinstalling with ToB, and then setting up the patches, fixes and Tutu again. I still couldn't install the NPC project. So I'm baffled. I'd appreciate help that anyone could give.

Just to try to narrow things down, did you try to install this into your BG1 directory, or your Tutu-converted BG2 directory? (The latter is the proper place. Seeing as how you got Tutufix to install, I'm assuming you are installing in the proper place, but this is a justincase. :))

More oddly still, the item is Montolio's Clasp; a ToB item that's of no value in itself. It's just an ingredient in one of Cespenar's recipes. So there's no reason for it to be in BG1NPC at all.

In your root tutu folder, there should be a file called BG1NPC.TP2. If you open that up in any text editor, do a Find for COMPON11.itm. If it's there, posting the entire block of text in which it appears would be helpful.

He said he reinstalled with ToB and it turns out that the clasp is used as the basis for a quest item in BG1NPC. But it should have been there if ToB's installed.

Misterundertoes, does tutu run ok by itself? If it does, then Ice's question becomes very, very pertinent; did you install BG1NPC in your tutu folder, as you should've, or in your original BG1 folder?

To answer your question, yes, I did install BG1NPC in my Tutu folder--that's the SoA main directory, right? And yes, Tutu works fine on its own, I tested it.

Now, I just uninstalled everything again and did a clean install without ToB this time. I can install ToB again if you think it's necessary. As I've said, this is all a little bit outside my expertise, so I appreciate your patience.

Until then, here's that text block you wanted:

//Kagain Caravan

EXTEND_BOTTOM ~_AR2800.bcs~ ~BG1NPC/scripts/P#FW2800.baf~

COPY ~BG1NPC/creatures/X#KABAND.cre~ ~override/X#KABAND.cre~

SAY NAME1 ~Black Talon Bandit~

SAY NAME2 ~Black Talon Guard~

WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~X#KABAND~// death variable

WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~_initdlg~// override

WRITE_ASCII 0x250 ~_shout~// class

WRITE_ASCII 0x2CC ~X#KABAND~// dialog

ADD_CRE_ITEM ~X#SILSH~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV5~

COPY_EXISTING ~COMPON11.ITM~ ~override/X#SILSH.itm~

SAY NAME1 ~Eddard Silvershield's Fistula~

SAY NAME2 ~Eddard Silvershield's Fistula~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~You picked up this fistula from a bandit you killed near Beregost. It is beautiful enamel with a sigil of one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate - Entar Silvershield. It is also embroidered on the breast of a dead youth coat. Unfortunately you came upon the bandits too late to save the boy from the bandits. He is too young to be a Duke, but you have heard that Entar Silvershield had a son of about your own age, called Eddard Silvershield. Perhaps you should return this pin to Silvershields.~

SAY DESC ~You picked up this fistula from a bandit you killed near Beregost. It is beautiful enamel with a sigil of one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate - Entar Silvershield. It is also embroidered on the breast of a dead youth coat. Unfortunately you came upon the bandits too late to save the boy from the bandits. He is too young to be a Duke, but you have heard that Entar Silvershield had a son of about your own age, called Eddard Silvershield. Perhaps you should return this pin to Silvershields.~

If you don't have ToB installed, COMPON11.itm definitely will not be there. If you want to PM me with an email addy, I can send you that one file but I can't guarantee that you won't run across other needed ToB files later in the install. Or, you can uninstall tutu, install ToB, reinstall tutu and then see how it goes.

He said he reinstalled with ToB and it turns out that the clasp is used as the basis for a quest item in BG1NPC.  But it should have been there if ToB's installed.

Gah, sorry Hendryk. That's what I get for trying to do hit-and-run support instead of actually reading the full post. :)

Archived