Azuredge

Azuredge has a number of issues; however the original item is corrupted (the melee and ranged effects indices are off by one, leaving one effect unused). We could patch and "uncorrupt" the file, but it would only serve to corrupt it anew if it was already fixed. (I could code a whole mess of checks around this, but it's really not worth it.) As such, I'm including it as a straight file overwrite. From Baldurdash:

There were five problems with this item, all as per its description:

1) The item is supposed to destroy undead creatures if they fail a Save Vs. Death, and it didn't for most undead creatures. This was occuring because this ability was defined as the wrong type for undeads; most are immune to it.

2) The Save Vs. Death was supposed to be at a -4 penalty, but there was no penalty.

3) The item did far too much damage against all creatures when thrown, as its throwing damage was set as 3d6 instead of 1d6 as it should have been.

4) The item was supposed to do an extra 4 points of damage to undead that made their saving throws, and it didn't.

5) The item's icons to choose between melee or throwing ability were the same, making it difficult to choose.

I changed the instant-death vs. undead ability to be correct, so that all undead that can be hit by this axe (+3 enchantment level) now have to make the Save Vs. Death. I added the -4 save penalty to match the description. I also dropped the thrown damage to 1D6 as throwing axes are. As the "extra" 4 damage vs. undead cannot be changed as it is hard-coded into an item resource, as this is a +3 axe I changed the melee and thrown damage to 1d6+3 to match other +3 axes. I also changed the icon for thrown use to the standard throwing-axe icon to make it easy to choose between thrown and melee abilities.

A few more bugs and changes.

4) The item was supposed to do an extra 4 points of damage to undead that made their saving throws, and it didn't.

I'm not sure where this is coming from--there's nothing in the item description that supports this and as such I've dropped it. I have added STR bonus to the ranged attack to bring it inline with other throwing axes, and addressed the save bonus issues (it had the same problem with EFF order and incorrect saves as IMoD).

The file-overwrite was not implemented; was this by design or an oversight?

I ask because in my game Azuredge is using the same icon for both Melee and Ranged slots, the name for the slots are reversed, and name for what presumably should be 'Ranged' appears as 'Azuredge +3'.

:) It's included and overwritten.

I ask because in my game Azuredge is using the same icon for both Melee and Ranged slots,

The icons are the same by design--this was something BD changed that we didn't feel was a fix.

the name for the slots are reversed, and name for what presumably should be 'Ranged' appears as 'Azuredge +3'.

I'm getting both 'thrown' and 'melee' strings as appropriate:

ax1h10.jpg

AFAICT, these are the same strings used by the unchanged item, and in the same order.

edit: The tool tips that pop up are apparently not included in screenshots, so my ingame screen shots are useless. If you right-click the weapon icon on the game screen, you should get the two icons of the ability menu--I'm getting 'melee' and 'thrown' in the toolips there as well.

:) It's included and overwritten.
Ooops, sorry! Just found the overwrite line.

I searched all my TP2's and the only mod that alters the item is Ashes of Embers

COPY_EXISTING ~ax1h10.itm~ //throwing
~override\ax1h10.itm~
 SAY DESC @308
 SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @33
 WRITE_LONG 0x1e 0x00000000 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x29 00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2B 02 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2D 00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 0x00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x26 0x0C // STR requirement
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2C 0x0A // DEX requirement

Could this have screwed up the various references?

I ask because in my game Azuredge is using the same icon for both Melee and Ranged slots,
The icons are the same by design--this was something BD changed that we didn't feel was a fix.
True that. It's not a fix.

Does a regular throwing axe have two icons?

Any chance of making it a 'Optional But Cool' thing?

I don't know how to match the reference numbers in tooltip.2da with their text strings. Educational-Linksy someone?

And what about the different icons? I see from the Pending Fixes that this is supposed to be done for all weapons that have melee/thrown aspects.

The reference numbers in tooltip.2da are string references in dialog.tlk.

In DLTCP, go to Tools -> Edit strings

In Near Infinity. go to Edit -> dialog.tlk

And don't save anything :)

15527 should be "Melee" and 15529 should be "Ranged" and are the default values for columns two and three for ax1h10.itm - just a SET_2DA_ENTRY patch away.

I don't think Ashes of Embers touches the tooltip.2da either, though.

Archived