Baldur's Gate III: The Bane of Bhaal

I'm tired of waiting for BG III, so I thought maybe it's time to introduce an idea I have for it. It will be a 2 part mod. The first part will be an NPC for SOA/TOB that will introduce hints of what's to follow after TOB ends. Once TOB ends there will be a total conversion game that finally concludes the story of the Bhaal saga that actually began in the Time of Troubles. Its roots run much deeper than Candlekeep and Gorion's Ward.

The idea I have is entitled: Baldur's Gate III: The Bane of Bhaal. After the end of TOB, you'll create a new character who is thrown into a battle for Faerun that is being waged between Cyric, Kelemvor and Bane and potentially Gorion's Ward, the first PC.

The second part will be of the second PC and their experiences and quests that partially reveal who they are and why they are involved.

In the third part of the story, when characters are advanced enough:

The first PC can be picked up as a NPC to join in an effort to unravel the remaining mystery of the second PC and what role the second PC plays in the developing war between Cyric, Bane and Kelemvor if the first PC chose mortality.

The good and dark path can be a collaborative effort between the second PC and the first PC and up to four other NPCs or the second PC can go it alone with normal NPCs. Regardless if the first PC chose mortality or not, if they are of evil alignment you can pretty much expect you'll be betrayed as the intention of the first PC will be to either acquire more power and/or be in contention to become the true dark god. Hence, there will come a time the second PC will have to battle the first if the second PC's intent is to become a dark god or if the first PC was evil.

Personally, I always thought it would be interesting to take on whatever character I'd spent all that time building up. What might be even better is to have your party from the Bane of Bhaal take on the party you'd used in SOA/TOB.

Without giving away too much, there will be mystery as to who your character is, what role they play in the developing war, and what can eventually become of them. There will be new NPCs, new areas, new villages, cities, and new mysteries to explore.

The main story takes place in West Gate and the surrounding areas of the Dragon Coast.

All of this would, of course, require a lot of work, and I would need help...a lot of help. If you think this is a valid idea, and you've had experience in creating mods for SOA/TOB, I'd appreciate your help. I need help with everything, as this is too large of a project for one person.

At the very least, if you've read this post, let me know what you think of the idea. Granted, I haven't told a lot of it because I don't want to give away too much, but if you like what you've read let me know. Even if you don't like it, let me know why. Feedback is important

I'm tired of waiting for BG III, so I thought maybe it's time to introduce an idea I have for it.

I guarantee you that you will be done waiting for bg3 years before you finish a tc.

Also, I doubt a evil 1st pc would betray the 2nd to attain godhood as if their still mortal it means they gave up godhood already.

And while the idea of making the pc from bg1 and 2 joinable sounds cool on paper, I doubt (assuming the time and effort to make a tc is made, which are both more than I could imagine putting in) that one would then write all the different npcs to account for all the different class, race, alignment, romance (etc) options one might have taken, and even then some people won't feel their character is portraid right.

Last but not least, why are Bane, Cyric, Kelemvor(which I assume is a typo) and the bhaalspawn the only ones fighting over faerun.

I guarantee you that you will be done waiting for bg3 years before you finish a tc.

Also, I doubt a evil 1st pc would betray the 2nd to attain godhood as if their still mortal it means they gave up godhood already. 

And while the idea of making the pc from bg1 and 2 joinable sounds cool on paper, I doubt (assuming the time and effort to make a tc is made, which are both more than I could imagine putting in) that one would then write all the different npcs to account for all the different class, race, alignment, romance (etc) options one might have taken, and even then some people won't feel their character is portraid right.

Last but not least, why are Bane, Cyric, Kelemvor(which I assume is a typo) and the bhaalspawn the only ones fighting over faerun.

First PC is only joinable if they did not become a god; otherwise they'll be a foe just as the other gods are. I meant to make that plain.

Bane and Cyric each have the same goal...to rule all of Faerun. Since Kelemvor now holds the portfolio of murder he would be involved as well.

The first PC as an NPC would have the same dialogue, would not be romanceable, and would maintain whatever class, race, alignment was originally there. Hence, their role would be extremely limited. The goal of this isn't to be able to use the first PC as an NPC but to continue the BG gaming experience, and give users a breath of fresh air...a storyline that is based on the Bhaal saga but has a life of its own.

First PC is only joinable if they did not become a god; otherwise they'll be a foe just as the other gods are.  I meant to make that plain.

A foe? But what if the first PC became a good god?

Bane and Cyric each have the same goal...to rule all of Faerun.  Since Kelemvor now holds the portfolio of murder he would be involved as well.

Ah ah. Kelemvor holds the portfolio of the Dead, previously held by Myrkul. Cyric holds the portfolio of Murder.

I think the idea of a BGII sequel focusing not on the Bhaalspawn CHARNAME, but on a new PC altogether is good. The main problem will be the characterisation of the BGII CHARNAME, since everyone will say "But I wouldn't have done that!"

The plot will have to account for all that variation (or just make an arbitrary statement on CHARNAME's character) and still have to make sense... Tough to write, I'd say.

Still, sounds like an interesting continuation of the story, assuming it can all be done fast enough. :)

I think the idea of a BGII sequel focusing not on the Bhaalspawn CHARNAME, but on a new PC altogether is good. The main problem will be the characterisation of the BGII CHARNAME, since everyone will say "But I wouldn't have done that!"

The plot will have to account for all that variation (or just make an arbitrary statement on CHARNAME's character) and still have to make sense... Tough to write, I'd say.

Still, sounds like an interesting continuation of the story, assuming it can all be done fast enough. :)

Writing it isn't going to be that difficult. That's my strong point. What I need are several people to help with each aspect: area creation, NPC creation, creature creation, etc. If I can get enough people involved who are dedicated the production time won't be that long.

Sorry if I'm coming off bad, it does sound like it would be an enjoyable prescence for a game, it's just that I recently dropped a project I had every intntion of finishing that was nearly as large a scale. It could be finished with enough time, dedication and support, but ask the dltc folks, tcs are a lot of work, and you have to understand that going in. Maybe you should focus on making this npc self contained first, then move on from their.

Bane and Cyric each have the same goal...to rule all of Faerun. Since Kelemvor now holds the portfolio of murder he would be involved as well.
What I meant was them 'fighting over faerun' was a bad way to explain something that could logically (even using fantasy logic) happen. Ao rules all, plus their will be enemy gods of Bane and Cyric of all alignments trying to stop them at every step.
Sorry if I'm coming off bad, it does sound like it would be an enjoyable prescence for a game, it's just that I recently dropped a project I had every intntion of finishing that was nearly as large a scale.  It could be finished with enough time, dedication and support, but ask the dltc folks, tcs are a lot of work, and you have to understand that going in.  Maybe you should focus on making this npc self contained first, then move on from their.

What I meant was them 'fighting over faerun' was a bad way to explain something that could logically (even using fantasy logic) happen.  Ao rules all, plus their will be enemy gods of Bane and Cyric of all alignments trying to stop them at every step.

You're not coming off bad at all. I appreciate the input; even if it's critical. Sometimes, actually, critical is better than praise because criticism enables me to see something in someone else's eyes. Any feedback, positive or negative, is a plus.

Factions trying to stop them is a good and endless source for quests and allies, so any alignment will have friendly resources. As far as what those factions do beyond the scope of the PC, the game doesn't have to cover all that. Reports of what those factions are doing will come during the third part, but just as with Lords of the Rings, not all action was portrayed. Such will be the case here. It doesn't have to be.

True, AO rules all but there are creative ways around that. Logically, it could be argued AO would never have allowed Bane to return, or for that matter, Bhaal's plan come to fruition, or at least mostly.

As far as the durability to see this through...I never quit on anything once I get started. That's just me...a part of being a software engineer I think...that and the way I was brought up.

At any rate, I've begun work on the first...the NPC for SOA/TOB.

I just need help with the rest once the storyline is completely worked out.

True, AO rules all but there are creative ways around that.  Logically, it could be argued AO would never have allowed Bane to return, or for that matter, Bhaal's plan come to fruition, or at least mostly.

One thing that works to a story's advantage is that Ao is more or less ineffable and His true motivations will never likely be clear to anyone, even the gods, so He can be safely left out.

I doubt Bane and Cyric are the only evil gods who'd want to rule over all of Faerun. I'm sure Talos would be interested, and lets not forget the long term goal of the most powerful evil god, Shar, is to completely destroy all of Faerun...

I doubt Bane and Cyric are the only evil gods who'd want to rule over all of Faerun.  I'm sure Talos would be interested, and lets not forget the long term goal of the most powerful evil god, Shar, is to completely destroy all of Faerun...

These are parts of the story I'm still working out. What I've posted here and other places is the base idea.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Rob: the main problem is that you will not be able to reconcile it with the Charname of the every individual player. I will throw a curved ball at you: end Throne of Bhaal in a treatury of Sarevok who assends to the God of Murder position (Or Imoen). This way you will have a *known* entity for the 'new god'. Kill off your first PC. Just simply do away with him. Reuse the movie from BG1 - "There will be others to come". Develop the second PC from there.

The second problem is the globality of your plot. Gods fighting for the control of the whole of Faerun... meh. It is too much of a spinoff of everything. Localize it. For example, make PC either fight for establishing the new Lord of Murder's cult in a particular land or on the opposite destroy it. Then you can always involve servants of other gods as allies, enemies and plot points. :)

The third problem... I am sorry to say it, but you will not be able to do it. It is logistically impossible. Yes, I know, you think you are going to do all the writing while a crew of willing technically apt modders will happily do the rest with your minimal supervision and all will turn out just like you thought it would. It won't. Firstly, you will not be able to handle a writing load for TC alone. There are more than plot points dialogues. There are much more than that. MUCH. Writing in collaboration is a very difficult process, requiring as much PR and coordination skills as writting skills.

I have heard that "I am a great writer, if only someone coded, I would have made a fantastic mod" thing so many times... The wast majority of people who mod, mod because they want to bring to life their own projects. Their own ideas. Their own characters. People usually do not surrender their only reward for making a mod - the creativity bonus - easily.

On the other hand - well, prove that you *can* write it. Do not throw in a banter and a half or a description of an item. Write a big part of the project (say one chapter) with all the characters, settings and quests and present it for bids. Even better, code as much of it as you can. See if you find someone to code it and create areas for it. If you are to succeed in what you outlined this is your best way.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Rob: the main problem is that you will not be able to reconcile it with the Charname of the every individual player. I will throw a curved ball at you: end Throne of Bhaal in a treatury of Sarevok who assends to the God of Murder position (Or Imoen). This way you will have a *known* entity for the 'new god'. Kill off your first PC. Just simply do away with him. Reuse the movie from BG1 - "There will be others to come". Develop the second PC from there.

I thought about that. It would make things a lot easier, and while there's no way to reconcile every player, I thought perhaps a better solution would be to generalize the first PC when making them an NPC.

The second problem is the globality of your plot. Gods fighting for the control of the whole of Faerun... meh. It is too much of a spinoff of everything. Localize it. For example, make PC either fight for establishing the new Lord of Murder's cult in a particular land or on the opposite destroy it. Then you can always involve servants of other gods as allies, enemies and plot points. :)

Globaility vs. localization is an issue; one I'm still working on.

The third problem... I am sorry to say it, but you will not be able to do it. It is logistically impossible. Yes, I know, you think you are going to do all the writing while a crew of willing technically apt modders will happily do the rest with your minimal supervision and all will turn out just like you thought it would. It won't. Firstly, you will not be able to handle a writing load for TC alone. There are more than plot points dialogues. There are much more than that. MUCH. Writing in collaboration is a very difficult process, requiring as much PR and coordination skills as writting skills.

I have heard that "I am a great writer, if only someone coded, I would have made a fantastic mod" thing so many times... The wast majority of people who mod, mod because they want to bring to life their own projects.  Their own ideas. Their own characters. People usually do not surrender their only reward for making a mod - the creativity bonus - easily.

On the other hand - well, prove that you *can* write it. Do not throw in a banter and a half or a description of an item. Write a big part of the project (say one chapter) with all the characters, settings and quests and present it for bids. Even better, code as much of it as you can. See if you find someone to code it and create areas for it. If you are to succeed in what you outlined this is your best way.

I never said I was going to do all of the writing, nor did I say I would leave the dirty work, the development to a bunch of other people. I wanted to get input on a storyline, modify that storyline according to people's input, and then invite others who might be interested to help complete that storyline. I would never require that someone be a code monkey and not have any creative input. By the way you replied, you're assuming I have it all worked out and am simply looking to enlist strong handed help to see my idea to fruition. That is not the case at all.

First off, it's not my idea in that it isn't complete. Secondly, it's not modeled in stone and unchangeable. It's my base of an idea that hopefully other people will think enough of to put their creative juices into it, and see it grow to something that's bigger and better than a simple mod. Think of it as a skeleton that needs other people to attach muscle, ligaments, tendons and a brain to.

Right now the skeleton isn't complete, but once the base is there, I thought it might be a good idea to ask those who are interested to adopt it as there own, and put their creativity into it. One of the greatest opportunities, I think, for using their creativity would be creating NPCs that can take part in advancing the plot.

Please don't assume I'm a naive, non-technical person who gleefully runs around asking for techies to pitch in. I'll do more than my fair share of getting dirty. And truth be known, I'm not even asking for help right now; simply asking for input and feedback, which I've been getting so I can at least offer something substantial that makes sense to almost everyone and something that others can see and possibly get into.

When I do have a good piece written, that's when I'll officially begin looking for help, and even then it won't be a matter of script this, build that exactly as is. If it can be improved upon, expanded upon, altered or if it makes sense to drop this part or that part, that can be done.

It's an idiot who never gets anywhere who thinks he knows the path to everywhere.

As far as project management...I'm perfectly aware what goes into project management, the painstaking follow up and coordination that goes into engineering a software solution or penning a story as well as the effort it will take. I've had enough experience in the former to have a decent idea of what the latter will require.

Archived