What's a LABEL tag?

To be honest, I only know what the weidu readme says:

Defines the LABEL, or unique textual identifier, of this module. Any component can have zero or more LABELs. Will print a warning if two components in the same tp2 share a LABEL. Do not alter a component’s LABEL once you publish that mod.

So, it's kind of a check name other mods (or the same mod?) can use to detect installed components of other mods.

How to actually use it I'd be interested as well.

Example of detecting component install with LABEL:

ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED "grammarsalad_mod.tp2" (ID_OF_LABEL "grammarsalad_mod/grammarsalad_mod" "test1")) BEGIN
    PRINT "grammarsalad_mod installed: component test1"
END ELSE BEGIN
    PRINT "grammarsalad_mod not installed: component test1"
END

5 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

Example of detecting component install with LABEL:

ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED "grammarsalad_mod.tp2" (ID_OF_LABEL "grammarsalad_mod/grammarsalad_mod" "test1")) BEGIN
    PRINT "grammarsalad_mod installed: component test1"
END ELSE BEGIN
    PRINT "grammarsalad_mod not installed: component test1"
END

What's the benefit of that vs just MOD_IS_INSTALLED <designated number>  Or is it one way vs the other way and neither is especially better than the other?

EDIT: Never mind, I can see the benefit of a label over a number since component order can change.

EDIT 2:   Ok fine.  Adding labels to my tp2 file now.  Thank you @Gwendolyne!

Edited by Lauriel

It might work since it sounds like it would generate a warning...but not an error.  I have several subcomponents.  I can give it a test run.

EDIT: Who am I kidding.  I don't have time for this....but I will eventually test it...someday.

Edited by Lauriel
20 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I’m pretty sure a component can have a functionally unlimited number of LABELs. Might be misremembering though. 

Yeah, but the docs say you can't have multiple components share the same label.  That's what we're wondering about.

Ok, I tested this.  Labeling multiple options of the same subcomponent with the same label will make it so that any checks using that label will return false, unfortunately.  That would have been handy in case of subcomponents.  Oh well.

Argh, of course giving several subcomponents the same LABEL would't work and give an error because it's, well, the same label for several components. That kind of explains the error it produces...

Ok, nothing to see here, folks. Please, move on...