Uninstallation / individual spell reversions possible?

I have an EET installation with IRR, SR v4b18, and SCS, having a save with over 50 hours that I'd like to preserve if possible. After making my way through, I realized that I in fact don't like several of the changes from Spell Revisions. Is there a way to preserve IRR and SCS (with its spell changes) but just yank out Spell Revisions? I'm guessing since SCS installation has specific checks about SR, I may need to do something like this:

1. Uninstall SCS
2. Uninstall SR
3. Reinstall SCS.

Will that wreck the save, or is it fairly safe to attempt?

If that's koo-koo, is it possible to restore individual spells to their Vanilla versions?

Edited by spanyam

I wouldn't try it.  if I was 50 hours in I would just finish out the game. 

Of course, if you back up your game folder first, then you can always just restore the backup and then finish out the game.  So no harm in trying, except my guess would be it will just waste an hour of your life. 

Maybe you could be more specific about when you don't like?  It might be easy to just change them now.

Yep figured it was too deeply baked at this point. I don't particularly like the changes to:

1. Haste + Improved Haste (targeting changes, apr changes, save changes)
  2. Death Spell -> Banishment
  3. Changing the Save type on Spirit Armor to death
  4. Changing the save on Blur to +3 spell, which I actually find to be too strong now
  5. Removing the bounce effect from Spell Deflection (which used to add more challenge to mage fights for me)

Maybe a couple more I'm missing. Is it possible to restore just those to their vanilla versions?

Edited by spanyam

You should be able to uninstall SCS, uninstall SR, and reinstall SCS. Don't do it partway through exploring a map; it may also make a bit of a mess of spellbooks of your party members; there are other possible bad consequences; all in all I don't really recommend it.

32 minutes ago, DavidW said:

You should be able to uninstall SCS, uninstall SR, and reinstall SCS. Don't do it partway through exploring a map; it may also make a bit of a mess of spellbooks of your party members; there are other possible bad consequences; all in all I don't really recommend it.

Yeah I will likely not mess with it at this point. I'll just look to replace individual spells. Does that involve just removing specific 2da files from Override?

Edited by spanyam
36 minutes ago, spanyam said:

I'll just look to replace individual spells. Does that involve just removing specific 2da files from Override?

Well, if you want to edit individual spells, you can open the SR's backup folder and move the file in there into the games own override folder and that's nearly all you have to do... most of the time. Now if the SR is the first mod to modify your spells in the install, there's no backup made as it's in the games own files, in which case you can just delete the file from the games override folder ... and of course you should understand that this way, no other mods changes will be effecive in anycase.

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Well, if you want to edit individual spells, you can open the SR's backup folder and move the file in there into the games own override folder and that's nearly all you have to do... most of the time. Now if the SR is the first mod to modify your spells in the install, there's no backup made as it's in the games own files, in which case you can just delete the file from the games override folder ... and of course you should understand that this way, no other mods changes will be effecive in anycase.

Perfect, I'll dig into the mechanics behind that and see what happens. I can always spin up EEKeeper to verify if the changes actually worked.

1 minute ago, subtledoctor said:

With that number of changes it shouldn’t be hard to just write up a custom hotfix mod. At least for some of them. 

I can look into this if the above doesn't get the job done. Of course, doing this is more useful long term.

Edited by spanyam
3 minutes ago, spanyam said:

In Vanilla, if I cast a spell against it, it gets redirected at the caster. In SRV4, the spell is simply absorbed but not reflected.

Ah.  That's actually not a change - the vanilla game has Spell Deflection.  Spell Turning (what you are describing) is a different spell.  Did you install "Spell Deflections block AoE effects?"  If so, reverting this will be difficult or maybe impossible.

2 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Ah.  That's actually not a change - the vanilla game has Spell Deflection.  Spell Turning (what you are describing) is a different spell.  Did you install "Spell Deflections block AoE effects?"  If so, reverting this will be difficult or maybe impossible.

Well it seems that the latest version has 3 deflection spells:

Minor spell deflection (L3, similar Vanilla behavior)

Spell deflection (L5, replaces minor spell turning)

Greater spell deflection (L7, replaces spell turning).

The latter two are the ones I would prefer to revert or restore. I am unsure if I installed the aoe absorption component, but I can check later.

The "SR Changes" mod over here changes Haste, Slow, Blur, and Banishment.  Doesn't change their names or descriptions, but they will work like they do in vanilla.  (Are you on EE?  The Blur change uses EE opcode 325... on the old engine it would need a different change.)
The code, for anyone interested:

Spoiler

BACKUP ~sr_changes/backup~
AUTHOR ~SubtleD~

//do stuff__________________________________________________________________________
//
BEGIN ~revert some SR spells~

// change haste back to real haste effect
COPY_EXISTING ~msectype.2da~ ~override~
  READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW rows 2
  FOR (row = 1; row < rows; ++row) BEGIN 
	READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER rows row 0 ~sectype~ 
	PATCH_IF (~%sectype%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~k1#Haste~) BEGIN
	  SET k1haste_row = (%row% - 1)
	END
	PATCH_IF (~%sectype%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~k1#Slow~) BEGIN
	  SET k1slow_row = (%row% - 1)
	END
  END
BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.spl$~ ~override~
  PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_SIZE%~ > ~0x71~) BEGIN
    READ_BYTE 0x27 stype
    PATCH_IF (stype = %k1haste_row%) BEGIN
      LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 176 opcode = 16 parameter2 = 0 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 1 END
    END
  END
BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~spwi613.spl~ ~override~
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 176 opcode = 16 parameter2 = 1 END
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 16 parameter2 = 1 END
  LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 1 END
IF_EXISTS BUT_ONLY

// make Slow save at -4
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi312.spl~ ~override~
  LPF ALTER_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR savebonus = (0 - 4) END
IF_EXISTS BUT_ONLY

// add death spell effect to banishment
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi605.spl~ ~override~
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 55 power = 6 parameter2 = 2 timing = 1 resist_dispel = 1 dicenumber = 8 END
IF_EXISTS BUT_ONLY

// revert Blur save bonus
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi201.spl~ ~override~
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 37 opcode = 325 parameter1 = 1 END
IF_EXISTS BUT_ONLY

EDIT - whoops, use the wrong folder name for the backup in the uploaded version.

Edited by subtledoctor