Question to shipped weidu version [split from "bgqe updates to v24 with Polish version!"]

Hello jastey!

Thanks for this new update.

I have a question about a oddity I noticed when I installed BGQE. The .exe file is a whooping 7 Mb, compared to the usual 1 Mb of most WeiDU releases. It installed fine and all but I was wondering about its size.

Can you tell me something about it?

Thanks!

Got it, thanks.

I am finding out WeiDU 247 to be something I would like to avoid as much as possible so perhaps if BGQE doesn't need the new functionalities it may be a good idea to downgrade back to 246.

Edited by Salk

@Salk I am totally with you there, but this would mean I can't use the automated package tool but would need to pack all my mods by hand.

@AL|EN - considering there are so many issues with weidu v247, is it possible to refert back to v246 with your tool? Some line inside I could adjust for the mods where v247 is not needed?

This is much wider topic, these problems are the eminences of the disastrous weidu design that I have reported years ago. Nothing really can be done about it except either to wait for new weidu release.

@Salk Please don't hunt modders about downgrading weidu version, they have no control over which weidu version will be used for mod installation. Putting weidu 246 will give you nothing as every other mod that includes weidu 247 will overwrite 246. The only way to stop this is to remove all .exe from game directory. But then, some mods that do require 247 will fail to install so you must account for them separately. And also account for re-installation when 247 mods are installed before 246 mods or vice-versa, that makes re-installation practically impossible.

@jastey No, it's pointless. It would only matter if the mod was installed alone which almost never happens. There is theoretical way to ensure that the mod itself will use certain weidu version only for first installation but it doesn't work when other mod will reinstall itself and also 'bgqe' so it is probably pointless either. 

BTW: There are plans for new "tp3" format that will allow modders to set desired weidu version. If you want a proper working solution, add you vote to it.

Edited by AL|EN

@AL|ENI understand what you are saying. I was not starting any "holy crusade" against modders using WeiDU 247. But if possible we would need WeiDU 247 to have the flag --noautoupdate on by default so that it doesn't cause any issues. I am not capable of working on the source and @Wisp has been inactive for months. I am not sure that "wait until he produces a new version" is the right strategy here.

Sorry for the off topic, jastey. It will be my last one.

Edited by Salk

@AL|EN thanks for explanation. As far as i know, my mods do not have problems with weidu v247, it was more of a principal question for players not having to manually prepare setup.exes with weidu v246.

@Salk no problem, it was in interesting discussion and I could move the OT posts into an own thread any time. EDIT: which I did.