Compatible with Transitions?

Guest luckymg

That doesn't seem fair. I remember that when this mod came out Jastey was the one who worked on it with Lauriel, helped her code it and shared components between their mods. Would she have done that if she minded the "competition"?

Edited by Isewein

Both is true.

EndlessBG1 comes with the according license, so everyone is free to take it and make their own version of it. I helped Lauriel when she started with it, actually Lauriel posted the idea of a "remain in BG1" mod basically at the same time I started to actually work on mine, so we had a very fruitful exchange during that time. Transitions started out by respecting several choices of EndlessBG1 when installed. But to be fully compatible, Transitions also reverses content from EndlessBG1. I bemoan this choice, because the other possibility would have been to keep EndlessBG1's modularity and just let the players decide which ones of which mods they want to have. Then Transitions got further developed and now I am not sure how much content of EndlessBG1 actually still remains if you install both. I had a look at the code and it just removes the content. So, player install EndlessBG1's Denkod encounter, Imoen&Jannath interaction, Dukes in the palace, FF healers after the fight ... but it gets all removed. Yes, I'm griping about that.

It's one thing to make an own version of a mod, but it's another to just revert things other mods do in your own mod because You Don't Like What They Do. And yes, I am probably unfair to Transitions with regard to EndlessBG1 because of its history, but Transitions also does it to another mod and it's just not what I think when I think "compatibility". Tagging @Lauriel so it's less talking behind her back.

EDIT: The warning about bugs is just a fact; I've seen several reports about crashes or other and I lost oversight. To me, it is a bit like WoP currently (sorry DavidW).

Yes but those issues with Transitions are predominantly issues it has with EndlessBG1. Which is fair criticism! (As I said I choose to only use EBG1.) But that is different from saying “it’s buggy and should be avoided.” (By contrast, I think it is totally kosher to talk about Transitions bugs in that mod’s forum where they are relevant and can be addressed by the author.)

Edited by subtledoctor