#ERROR: Failure("The game requires ToBEx or GemRB to support more than 256 kits.")?

A player has the following error message trying to install my Solaufein mod:

#ERROR: Failure("The game requires ToBEx or GemRB to support more than 256 kits.")

Full error message here. It was for EET installation.

Where does this error message come from? The player said he was using PI. Is this from Project Infinity, @AL|EN?

Is the kit limit valid for EE(T) at all?

Also, Solaufein's kit is not available for the PC. This shouldn't count into the 256 kit limit then? Do I need to change something in the mod?

@jastey The error comes from WeiDU , PI has no custom error messages except the final ExitCode status. I don't know the full picture until we get .debug file and all logs from this installation. There are similar bug reports, the issue has something to do with old ADD_KIT function, the suggestion was to use https://github.com/Argent77/A7-add_kit_ex but I'm not sure if this can help this case.

Unfortunately the 256 kits limit is still present in the EE games.

It doesn't apply to all kinds of kits though. True multiclass kits (which are, afaik, only supported by the EE engine) are not affected by this limitation. However, from a practical standpoint this doesn't make much difference because you have only little control over the kit installation order, and most kits are still single class kits.

I tried to overcome this restriction some time ago for the A7-add_kit_ex library. However, that would have required considerable changes in WeiDU's ADD_KIT functionality which are not backwards compatible. Since it's unlikely to exceed the kit limit (unless you install pretty much every kit mod in existence) I dismissed the idea in the end.

The 256 kit limit is present and important in the EEs. I’m a bit surprised to see the error, as you have to work pretty hard to go past it and trigger Weidu’s warning. I designed the FnP multiclass kits - the single mod with the largest number of added kits I’m aware of - to circumvent the limit. (It uses ADD_KIT_EX.) But if you try to install any ‘normal’ kit after that, you will encounter this install failure. 

Potential fix: just change your install order to make sure all mods with normal single-class kits are installed before mods that add multiclass kits. 

3 hours ago, argent77 said:

True multiclass kits (which are, afaik, only supported by the EE engine) are not affected by this limitation.

Worth mentioning fir the sake of anyone who stumbles upon this thread: I think the pre-EE engine can handle true multiclass kits. It’s been a long while since I looked at it so my memory is fuzzy, but I think my first multiclass kit component (the one that has evolved into a component of Might & Guile) worked with BGT/Tutu/ToB. The EE 1.4 or 2.0 patch added the abilities to select multiclass kits in menus, which is nice; prior to that you had to use a script or dialogue to apply the kit to a character. So the first instance of the mod invoked a dialogue from an item ability attached to a few easter egg item I scattered around the games. 

It’s possible I’m mistaken. But that’s my recollection.