To EET or not to EET?

41 minutes ago, Endarire said:

Old EET versions are 2.5 compatible.  The newest EET versions are 2.6 only.

Yeah but presumably the new EET version is better... I'd rather not use an old/buggy version when I could instead play my current BG2EE game, which is working quite well considering the weidu.log has 450 entries, and wait for the iOS games to get the 2.6 patch before messing with EET.

For me, it's EET all the way, because I'm big into story continuity and chronology. Starting in front of Winthrop's Inn and knowing that this character's journey will take them all the way to level 30+ and godhood just gives me chills. One epic journey feels different to me than multiple stages of import.

I will always remember when, after sneaking out of Baldur's Gate city and Imoen met up with me at the base of the outer wall of Baldur's Gate city along with Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, and Khalid, the game continued directly into the cinematic "they came as you rested", and I woke up in Chateau Irenicus. There was a magic there that is irreplaceable, essential, and worth every bit of time I spend tweaking my EET install. I can't wait to get there again.

Also, that map. Seeing all those icons in one place?  Getting to see everywhere you've been, and everywhere you're going to go, in at once?  It's breathtaking, especially in a mega-modded install.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:21 PM, Isewein said:

Dear all,

'Tis the season and I have failed my Will Save miserably, so I am now in the process of setting up another hibernal Baldur's Gate playthrough. Once more this brings up the question of whether the advantages of EET outweigh the negatives. In the old days of BGT, the decision was basically a no-brainer, but with the EEs the most obvious benefits of using a Trilogy mod have been made redundant. Since I am terrible at making decisions without overly lengthy deliberation, I figured I might as well share my thought process for the benefit of others sitting on the fence. Please feel free to amend your own thoughts to this list, it might become a nice community resource to have after all.

Pros

-Continous Journal

-stat boni on NPCs carry over

-ToB Fate Spirit summons continous NPCs

-EET-Exclusive mods: The Cowled Menace, DSotSC v4 (why?), EET Tweaks

Cons

-most of the promise of a continous world remains theoretical in nature, there is basically no reason to revisit any BG1 areas in the later portion of the game (yet)

-separate game installs offer more flexibility in addressing bugs

-continous NPCs fall far behind in levels between games if you do not include them in the party at all times

-EET-incompatible mods: Eve of War (looks exciting!), Jan's Extended Quest, Homeward Bound

I know it's basically 1 year late but I wanted to chime in on the bolded point, which is exactly why my mod (cowled menace) is an EET-exclusive.

To give a reason to bring people back to BG1 when you're in BG2. Hopefully more mods follow suit!

Glad to report that it seems like most of the mods in question have seen EET updates by now, so I'll finally give EET a try this time around. Although many of these recent patches don't seem to have seen much playtesting yet, I guess someone will have to make a start. :)