G3 Welcomes the Enemy Randomizer Mod

I've just updated the mod to version 1.1.0, which adds an option to the Set Creature randomizer to be completely random instead of keeping things relatively balanced, removes the kobold CRE that has the vial of liquid in the Nashkel Mines so that quest won't be a problem, and adds another kobold that wasn't being randomized before (this one doesn't have a quest item, I promise).

I'll probably take a bit of a break for a while (though will still try to get any bugfixes out right away), but the thing I'd like to add next would be a randomizer for quest monsters, and potentially for fetch quests that ask for random jewelry/items. But that'll require a bunch of learning on my part, so don't expect it soon.

This is fun - I just setup a new game play through with this last night (so, the version right before your 1.1.0 I guess).

I chose to include SOD mods in my BGEE (I'm doing an EET playthrough).

Gotta say, it's been a rough playthrough so far with SCS on insane 😂

In the very first map after getting Imoen, I went NE and before reaching Montaron and Xzar encountered an invisible Ogre Mage fully pre-buffed (thanks SCS) with mirror image, minor globe of invincibility - it was an insta-gib.

Reload and avoid that area - play through some fun random encounters (revenant in ankheg pit was rough with the Hold attack on my level 2 party).

Got to Nashkel mines - all was going well, fun variety - hit a Yaga Shura Mage (snake man or w/e) mage and a Hobgoblin Wizard - unfortunately, they're on a non-skippable path to get to Mulahey, so I've been playing side-zones and will come back to the mines at level 6 or 7, when I can deal with his SCS self buffs (although even with SCS turned to Basic, him and the wizard spanked my level 4 party).

Looking forward to trying an even more imbalanced setup :D

Do BG2 or TOB mobs ever cross over and get mixed into the BGEE portion of an EET game, or are they kept to their respective campaigns? (other than SOD -> BGEE, which I guess is still the BGEE campaign in some ways).

Oh, and trolls - what a pain!  Gotta save those nashkel mine fire arrows (or I guess try flaming weapon from might and guile trueclass  warrior feat).

7 minutes ago, ahungry said:

This is fun - I just setup a new game play through with this last night (so, the version right before your 1.1.0 I guess).

I chose to include SOD mods in my BGEE (I'm doing an EET playthrough).

Gotta say, it's been a rough playthrough so far with SCS on insane 😂

In the very first map after getting Imoen, I went NE and before reaching Montaron and Xzar encountered an invisible Ogre Mage fully pre-buffed (thanks SCS) with mirror image, minor globe of invincibility - it was an insta-gib.

Reload and avoid that area - play through some fun random encounters (revenant in ankheg pit was rough with the Hold attack on my level 2 party).

Got to Nashkel mines - all was going well, fun variety - hit a Yaga Shura Mage (snake man or w/e) mage and a Hobgoblin Wizard - unfortunately, they're on a non-skippable path to get to Mulahey, so I've been playing side-zones and will come back to the mines at level 6 or 7, when I can deal with his SCS self buffs (although even with SCS turned to Basic, him and the wizard spanked my level 4 party).

Looking forward to trying an even more imbalanced setup :D

Do BG2 or TOB mobs ever cross over and get mixed into the BGEE portion of an EET game, or are they kept to their respective campaigns? (other than SOD -> BGEE, which I guess is still the BGEE campaign in some ways).

Oh, and trolls - what a pain!  Gotta save those nashkel mine fire arrows (or I guess try flaming weapon from might and guile trueclass  warrior feat).

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! 

For EET games, currently the only randomization option mixes BG1 and 2 enemies throughout the series, but I'll probably try to include an option to keep BG1 and 2 separate in the next version.

11 hours ago, Endarire said:

An option for the future is to add IWD 1 and 2 as randomization install choices, keeping things somewhat balanced or just having total randomization like at present:

Theoretically the main task to do there is make a list of all the valid creatures to randomize in those games like I've done with BG1/2, if the area and creature files are structured the same. But I can't say I'm particularly interested in doing that since I never got into the IWD games, so if someone wants to do that and playtest the results, I can definitely add it to the mod.

Quick question - I assume all the randomization happens during install time - if that's the case, would multiple play throughs end up with the same monsters unless I re-ran the install?

Or is the install just opening up the total monster pool for areas, and each time I visit, things could be different? (perhaps different per new game)

2 hours ago, ahungry said:

Quick question - I assume all the randomization happens during install time - if that's the case, would multiple play throughs end up with the same monsters unless I re-ran the install?

Or is the install just opening up the total monster pool for areas, and each time I visit, things could be different? (perhaps different per new game)

For now, it's just set once during install time, so yes it'd be the same each game unless you re-ran the mod installer. Having the randomizer run at the start of each new game is something I'm going to look at later, but won't be happening soon.

I don't know if it's due to pure randomness, or the new options, but going with the SOD (slight BG1 challenge upgrade) and option to include SOD in set encounters with pure randomness, but now I've hit 2 dragons (purple dragon at durlag's tower, brown dragon in nashkel mind lol).

Think I'm gonna have to go back to similar encounter difficulty option haha

8 hours ago, ahungry said:

I don't know if it's due to pure randomness, or the new options, but going with the SOD (slight BG1 challenge upgrade) and option to include SOD in set encounters with pure randomness, but now I've hit 2 dragons (purple dragon at durlag's tower, brown dragon in nashkel mind lol).

Think I'm gonna have to go back to similar encounter difficulty option haha

Yeah, that's why I don't recommend that option for EET installs. For the next release I'd like to add an option for the all random component in EET that still keeps the BG1 and 2 maps separate.

I have error during install on BGEE 2.6 without SoD. Component "BG1 Set Creature Randomizer -> BG creatures only - Keep enemies roughly similar in power" v1.1.1 (although in tp2 it is v1.00).

ERROR: Failure("resource [catlim01.CRE] not found for 'COPY'")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-GAENEMYRANDO.DEBUG and look for support at: GuardianAnubite
Using Language [English]
[English] has 1 top-level TRA files
[gaEnemyRando/tra/english/setup.tra] has 5 translation strings

No other mods.

SETUP-GAENEMYRANDO.DEBUG

On 4/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, marchitek said:

I have error during install on BGEE 2.6 without SoD. Component "BG1 Set Creature Randomizer -> BG creatures only - Keep enemies roughly similar in power" v1.1.1 (although in tp2 it is v1.00).

ERROR: Failure("resource [catlim01.CRE] not found for 'COPY'")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-GAENEMYRANDO.DEBUG and look for support at: GuardianAnubite
Using Language [English]
[English] has 1 top-level TRA files
[gaEnemyRando/tra/english/setup.tra] has 5 translation strings

No other mods.

SETUP-GAENEMYRANDO.DEBUG 248.77 kB · 3 downloads

Sorry for the super late reply, but I did look into this and fix the issue. It should be fixed in the new release, version 1.1.2 (and I updated the documentation as well).