EET playthrough with 200+ mods

On 11/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, subtledoctor said:

It looks like the UI is should the actual string number in dialog.tlk ("656772")  rather than the text inside that string number. There could be a number of reasons why: the mod might be setting it incorrectly, or the UI might be looking at the wrong thing. First and easiest thing to try is to look at the various .2da files that show kit descriptions:  kitlist.2da, clastext.2da, sodcltxt.2da, and bgclatxt.2da. Make sure the "DESC" or "HELP" string number for these kits are correct. If there are any deviations in one or more of those files, fixing them should fix the problem in-game. If those files are all correct, then the problem is likely in the kit mod or the UI and I wouldn't know how to fix it.

After some digging around, I was able to fix this at least for those four kits that I know don't display the class text in game. But, from looking in the files I believe a bunch more don't align across the mentioned 2da files. I'll leave it for now though, until I actually see another issue in game.

I wonder what could have caused the values not to align for certain kits, though.

Item types in Near Infinity - that "Category" field you had highlighted is the right one. The "Edit" view is almost always more useful than the "Raw" view; the offset number (third column in that view) was being used as a unique and easily searched identifier.

On kit descriptions ... there's actually at least one more 2DA that they show up in (ENGINEST.2DA). Also, paladin and ranger kits can double up, getting entries for both their normal and fallen versions in some of the 2DAs.

42 minutes ago, Quester said:

sorry but I am not familiar enough with the workings of NI

You've got all the information you need in that first picture. In the column labeled "OFFSET" you can go down to where it says "1c h" - that's what we mean by "0x1c." And below that you can find "31 h" which we call "0x31." Those are the rows showing item type and proficiency, respectively.

11 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

You've got all the information you need in that first picture. In the column labeled "OFFSET" you can go down to where it says "1c h" - that's what we mean by "0x1c." And below that you can find "31 h" which we call "0x31." Those are the rows showing item type and proficiency, respectively.

Alright, well clubs, maces, morningstars and flails are currently all set to the Flails (23) category. Flails have proficiency 100, whereas the others are set to prof 99. So I guess it's only the item type that's wrong for them.

Okay then, one more thing to check, because it's worth being sure of these things:

• Create a single-class cleric of Mystra
  • In character generation, you should be able to put proficiency points into maces, but not flails.
  • When you start the game, buy or find a mace, a club, and a flail. You should be able to equip the mace and club, but not the flail.

From what you see in NI, it sounds like you will be able to put pips in maces, but not equip them. If that is the case, then it can be fixed.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Something else, though: any idea why none of my NPCs get the Wild Talent option when choosing from Miscellaneous Skills in the new SoB system? I put Will to Power after all my kit mods because I thought that was a requirement. Have tried all different classes, none have the option. Was it removed? Or is something else messing with it?

8 hours ago, Quester said:

any idea why none of my NPCs get the Wild Talent option when choosing from Miscellaneous Skills in the new SoB system?

Patching the dialogue depending on the presence or absence of Will to Power was a bit touchy, and it looks like the REPLACE_TEXTUALLY failed. So getting a wild talent is just not an option for anyone.

That is fixed in SoB v6.3.

Okay, good to know for the next playthrough.

Meanwhile, my party is just reaching the Cloakwood, and at this point I feel like I am over-leveled, having gone through all the areas south of FAI except Firewine and the basilisk areas. Since about level five and onwards I have just steamrolled everything in my path. My party consists of:

Uluri, elvish Abjurer, just about to hit lvl 8

Imoen, Adventurer lvl 8, planning to dual-class on next lvl up.

Moidre, Dwarven Defender, lvl 8

Sirene, tiefling Martyr (of Ilmater), lvl 8

Minsc, Rashemaar Berserker, lvl 8

Emily, Arcane Archer, about to hit lvl 8

So quite heavy on the melee, and with two solid ranged NPCs in Emily and Imoen. No proper divine caster, but so far we've been doing more than fine without one.

I did set XP gain to 50% for both quests and monsters in my installation, because I knew all the mod added stuff would contribute a lot of XP. But I actually still underestimated just how much so.

I believe one of the main culprits are Made in Heaven's Encounters and Quests, which increases both numbers and I believe also XP for some things like the various kinds of spiders. It's just too much. I've killed a bazillion spiders, each worth something like 1k-4k XP.

This is without even killing a single basilisk. So, I kinda wish I had set XP for monsters to 25% or something.

At this rate, I'm reaching the original game's XP cap way before even reaching BG city. :(

Not sure how to salvage this playthrough...should I remove a bunch of XP with NI, to set myself back? Should I install another mod reducing XP percentages even further?

On 11/17/2022 at 6:47 AM, Quester said:

believe one of the main culprits are Made in Heaven's Encounters and Quests, which increases both numbers and I believe also XP for some things like the various kinds of spiders. It's just too much. I've killed a bazillion spiders, each worth something like 1k-4k XP.

Oh yeah that’s crazy. I’m just starting my new run and haven’t killed any spiders outside Landrin’s house, but that's too much XP. Even for BG2 that’s pretty high. I installed the “spider infestation” part if MIH, but *not* the upgraded spider enemies. So hopefully I’ll be seeing lots of spiders that are only worth a couple hundred XP apiece. 

8th level is high for Cloakwood; I would expect to be 6th, maybe 7th there. (Depending on how many optional areas and mod quests you do first). 

You *could* simply CLUA your XP back to a lower level. 60,000 or so? It won’t reduce your level but it will prevent you leveling up even more. And you could always add an XP mod mid-stream. Install SoB to reduce monster XP to 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 (cumulative with what you already installed), and then if the challenge catches up with you, just uninstall it then. 

Finally you’ve got all single-classes which mean fast leveling, and IIRC some if those kits (Defender, Rashemaar, Arcane Archer, Adventurer) are a *marked* increase in power over the typical BG1 baseline. 

I see *possible* conceptual conflict. ~WINGS\SETUP-WINGS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Wings for BG2:EE may come in conflict with MazzyMegaMod which already offers the way to restore Arie wings.

Your BGEE-Weidu log list incorrect mods that can't be imported using EET installer: Gnoll companion Bristlelick & entire Ayden mod.

Edited by zelazko