Very Random Question

Okay, Linux user here, and I am apparently cursed. I cannot, for the life of me, get the Linux version of BGEE to run. At all. So, no Linux modding for me. I had the probably very foolish idea to try and run windows weidu in a wine prefix. No dice, just won't open at all. Probably saved me from borking my install anyway. Which got me thinking about the possibility of override folder mods.
Some of CDTweaks components seem like they would just be small edits to existing files, and not necessarily weidu, so would theoretically be able to drop into override? If I'm not just being dumb, which components' files can I drop into the override to install?

3 hours ago, argent77 said:

What exactly is the issue with BGEE?

I can't get the Linux one to run. At all. And I can't get weidu to run in wine. So no modding otherwise.

4 minutes ago, CamDawg said:

Because it's very late in the install, there are very few assets that Tweaks simply copies. The revised progression tables are probably about it--in the 2da folder--but even some of those get edited when they get copied, too.

Well darn.

3 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

I can't get the Linux one to run. At all. And I can't get weidu to run in wine. So no modding otherwise.

What error message is displayed when you start the game executable in a console window?

Edited by argent77

Weidu shouldn’t need to run in WINE? There is a version of Weidu for Linux. I think this might be confusing people. 

- BGEE for Linux on its own, without any mods, does not run? Then, why are you even talking about mods?

- Weidu for Linux does not work? You didn’t even mention this, but skipped right to…

- Weidu for Windows doesn’t work in WINE. Which, I’m not terribly surprised. 

Can you clarify what does and doesn’t work?

Edited by subtledoctor
2 hours ago, argent77 said:

What error message is displayed when you start the game executable in a console window?

None. No message. Just nothing.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Weidu shouldn’t need to run in WINE? There is a version of Weidu for Linux. I think this might be confusing people. 

I'm aware, but if the game itself won't run...

BGEE for Linux on its own, without any mods, does not run? Then, why are you even talking about mods?

Because I want to play the game with mods? That should be obvious. I can run the windows version in wine.

- Weidu for Linux does not work? You didn’t even mention this, but skipped right to…

I didn't mention it because I stated immiediately that BG Linux won't run. Why would I mention it if its already clear its not an option?

Can you clarify what does and doesn’t work?

The Linux version of BGEE does not work. It won't run. No error messages in console, nothing. Download from Beamdog, and its just broken somehow. Even tried the GoG version.

*edited to add*
Suy on the Infinity Engine discord tried to help me troubleshoot it. Best guess is that it ships with very old dependencies. Which I can't find, the distro can't detect that they are needed (a first for me), and are probably old enough to be a security risk anyway. I'm not asking for help in getting it to run because I've already spent weeks on it.

Edited by Thacobell
Bottom paragraph added
25 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

Because I want to play the game with mods? That should be obvious.

No, not obvious, because you keep saying

26 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

the game itself won't run...

Do you see how people were confused?

Anyway, NOW I see why you are still barking up this tree:

26 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

I can run the windows version in wine.

THIS is what you neglected to mention before this point. And it is very relevant, because now that I understand the situation I think that, hopefully, the solution will be easy. What you need to do is treat your Windows BGEE game in WINE the same way I treat my iOS BGEE game. Mod it on one platform, and play it on another. To be more clear:

• Use the Linux version of Weidu to mod the crap out of your Linux BGEE game
  • Transfer the lang, override, music, and worldmap folders over to your Windows BGEE app
  • Play Windows BGEE in WINE

I think it probably is that easy. I mean, I hope it ends up being as easy as that sounds and you get to play properly modded BGEE.

6 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

*edited to add*
Suy on the Infinity Engine discord tried to help me troubleshoot it. Best guess is that it ships with very old dependencies. Which I can't find, the distro can't detect that they are needed (a first for me), and are probably old enough to be a security risk anyway. I'm not asking for help in getting it to run because I've already spent weeks on it.

That's strange. A missing dependency should have printed some error messages to the console.

Another option to find out if dependencies are missing is with this console command:

ldd SiegeOfDragonspear | grep "not found"

Replace "SiegeOfDragonspear" with the executable in your game installation. Does it show any messages?

27 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Do you see how people were confused?

I thought saying I used wine would make it obvious that I was running the windows version. Because that's what wine is for. But I concede, I can see why that confused you.

28 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:
  • Use the Linux version of Weidu to mod the crap out of your Linux BGEE game
  • Transfer the lang, override, music, and worldmap folders over to your Windows BGEE app
  • Play Windows BGEE in WINE

I really hope so. Its worth a shot.

25 minutes ago, argent77 said:

Replace "SiegeOfDragonspear" with the executable in your game installation. Does it show any messages?

I'll re-download and find out.

> (paraphrase) Linux version of BGEE won't run

Which version? I know the GoG version has a problematic dependency on libssl on recent linux distributions (libssl 1.0.0 v.s. 1.1).

Each time I install bgEE/bg2EE/IWDEE on linux I copy two old libssl libraries in a diregctory and modify the start.sh to load then

libcrypto.so.1.0.0  libssl.so.1.0.0

and

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LIBRARY_PATH}:${CURRENT_DIR}/game/lib/"

NOTE: I don't know if that's your problem of course