How to find context of orphan states in Near Infinity?

Hi,

It's a question I was asking to myself for months now, if not years.

I just want to know if there is a way to find the context (the main dialogue) of orphan states in Near Infinity. Or do they don't make appearance in game even once?

Here are a few examples of said orphan states:

@9855   = ~Don't fluster yourself with lurid daydreams, <CHARNAME>. ~

@9859   = ~With that attitude, nothing will ever occur to strike your passion, you brash fool.~

While correcting the French translation of BG2EE I've already encountered a few of those. But without any context, proofread means shit.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Jazira
12 hours ago, jastey said:

When you open the state there is an option to search for references to this state or some such. If this doesn't give any reference, I assumed the line is not used in game.

So @9855 and @9859, for example, are not used in game, 100% sure?

If you're ever unsure, you can use NI to search for references. Search > String ref > enter the string ref > Find references.

In this case, 9855 is used in nobwbas.dlg (a leftover BG dialogue, when 9855 had different contents) and Viconia's banter file (bviconi.dlg). Viconia's does seem to be unused, yes: you can go to the edit tag on the dialogue, select state 90, and use the find > references to this state to verify. Same for 9859, used in bviconi state 91.

23 hours ago, CamDawg said:

If you're ever unsure, you can use NI to search for references. Search > String ref > enter the string ref > Find references.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing.

23 hours ago, CamDawg said:

In this case, 9855 is used in nobwbas.dlg (a leftover BG dialogue, when 9855 had different contents) and Viconia's banter file (bviconi.dlg). Viconia's does seem to be unused, yes: you can go to the edit tag on the dialogue, select state 90, and use the find > references to this state to verify. Same for 9859, used in bviconi state 91.

For nobwbas.dlg, yes, its lines make absolutely no sens at all.

Alright, thanks. Now I do know for sure both those lines are unused, even if they're present inside an "active" .dlg like Viconia's one.