How to start modding BG?

Hello

I haven't played BG since Throne of Bhaal was originally released. I did not even think BG series could have mods. Recently I bought it on a Steam sale, BG, BG SoD and BGII, and I wanted to give it the modding flavour. 

1. Do mods need special applications or just drag and drop?

2. Are there any good mod packs available to get you started?

3. I heard there are mods which merge all 3 games into one, how stable are those and which ones are best?

4. Which mods would be worth adding to fix stuff, update it to more modern D&D editions or add new things?

Hi @Viryu, I'd suggest you read the Tutorial on how to install mods to get an idea what you got yourself into:

In short:

1. It's not drag&drop, but every mod comes with an own installer (exe). The automated installer recommended would be Project Infinity which I think is mentioned in the tutorial; install order is crucial so it's advised to get feedback on your planned install order list before installing.

2. There is no compilations of sorts, you need to chose single mods. If you want recommendations, it would be good to know what you are looking for.

3. There is EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) which merges the EE games (BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE) into one, it's forum is here at G3. There is also BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) for the classic BG1 and BG2 hosted at Spellhold Studios (SHS).

4. For the clasic BGII there is a BG2Fixpack which is a good idea to install, for the EE there is a fixpack in the works but no open alpha yet, I don't know about mods that make rule changes meaning I'm no help with thet, and for adding contents it's the same as above: let us know what you prefer and we can give suggestions.

2 hours ago, Viryu said:

Hello

I haven't played BG since Throne of Bhaal was originally released. I did not even think BG series could have mods. Recently I bought it on a Steam sale, BG, BG SoD and BGII, and I wanted to give it the modding flavour. 

1. Do mods need special applications or just drag and drop?

2. Are there any good mod packs available to get you started?

3. I heard there are mods which merge all 3 games into one, how stable are those and which ones are best?

4. Which mods would be worth adding to fix stuff, update it to more modern D&D editions or add new things?

Basically deicide what mods you really want to install (you MUST read carefully all the readmes). Then install in this order: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34882/list-of-bg2ee-compatible-mods  

1) non-weidu mods
2) story mods
3) NPC mods
4) item mods
5) kit mods
6) BG2Tweaks
7) other tweak/overhaul mods (for example SCALES of BALANCE)
8  ) SCS
9) aTweaks

Remember to unpack and install mods one by one, don't unpack all your mods at once or your modding adventure will end quickly in total mess and frustration. 😜

59 minutes ago, Viryu said:

For mods, is it later limited only to these: https://k4thos.github.io/EET-Compatibility-List/EET-Compatibility-List.html

That's a curated list of "This works on EET". Mods not on that list may or may not work with EET; I know I've taken the effort to make my own stuff work with EET as far as I can do so without actual testing, for example. If you're not sure, check the mod's documentation.

[Edit: corrected statement of implied authorship]

Edited by jmerry

Yeah, I feel bad neglecting it in the last half year tbh, considering that I should've PRed Lava's mods which were converted to EET around Christmas, think RandomGraionTweaks is also missing, etc.

Yes, it is a curated list. It's just not curated by a singular person alone, which is a good thing and which is exactly why it's not comparable to the Mod Messup list.