Is Blood Magic a thing in the forgotten realms universe?

I'm just curious. I haven't found anything definite in the wikis. Anything related to casting spells, curses and whatnot by any possible means through the power of blood (your own blood, someone else's, indeterminate, whatever).

I was wondering after seeing DA blood magic, and Elden Ring's blood type spells and others.

I thought that it would be cool if someone could make a new class in BG or IWD from those concepts, though I was wondering if anyone knows of some basis in the lore. Not particularly interested in classes that have no basis in lore, but that's just me and my immersion fetish.

Cheers

Edited by RoyalProtector
clarifying better

Sorcerers have innate magic capabilities tied to their lineage. In (later) p&p the various choices are literally called bloodlines. In the ees you have a dragon disciple sorcerer kit for example ...

Not at all the same thing. This is about the broader fantasy trope of magic that literally uses blood, not inherited powers. Contracts signed in blood, sacrifices (willing or otherwise), that sort of thing.

Which ... actually, there's something already in the games. Remember those pools of blood in BG2's vampire lair, and the chapter 6 plot point of putting in holy water to weaken the vampires? That's blood magic - or rather, the vampires are empowering themselves with blood magic and you're disrupting that.

I don't think it would make good material for a player-usable class. Maybe you could do something with losing hit points (bleeding oneself) to gain spell power, but that feels like a nightmare to balance. Leave the blood magic rituals to the villains, where you can tailor the effects without worrying about players gaming the mechanics.

Edited by jmerry
On 7/6/2023 at 8:43 AM, lynx said:

Sorcerers have innate magic capabilities tied to their lineage. In (later) p&p the various choices are literally called bloodlines. In the ees you have a dragon disciple sorcerer kit for example ...

Not quite what I was thinking of, but rather using blood as such as an ingredient or the essence of magic. As in someone who could be quite literally within the universe a "Blood Mage/Wizard/Sorcerer/Hexer/etc".

On 7/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, jmerry said:

Which ... actually, there's something already in the games. Remember those pools of blood in BG2's vampire lair, and the chapter 6 plot point of putting in holy water to weaken the vampires? That's blood magic - or rather, the vampires are empowering themselves with blood magic and you're disrupting that.

I don't think it would make good material for a player-usable class. Maybe you could do something with losing hit points (bleeding oneself) to gain spell power, but that feels like a nightmare to balance. Leave the blood magic rituals to the villains, where you can tailor the effects without worrying about players gaming the mechanics.

Yes, good point. I forgot about the vamp lair. Would really like to know more about that in terms of how it's used. I feel like a vampire charname is completely out of the question, it's too bizarre and unlikely. But even if it's difficult to balance I feel like it could be interesting. A kind of high-risk high-reward deal because you have to sacrifice yourself in some way to gain temporary power and whatnot. But again, I'd be hesitant to play anything like that unless there is some hint about it in the lore this sort of thing happens.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, jmerry said:

Not at all the same thing. This is about the broader fantasy trope of magic that literally uses blood, not inherited powers. Contracts signed in blood, sacrifices (willing or otherwise), that sort of thing.

no, no blood magic. there is no magic there at all, blood is just food for vampires and these pools are some kind like foodstores for them. and when you destroy them you weaken vampires actually more symbolically than for real, in terms of game mechnanic they are not weaken at all.

Imo "blood magic" is, very clever by the way, David Gaider creation (inspired probably by Game of Thrones) of very interesting mage archetype and also to put more emphasis on "abominations" and show how dangerous magic can be. it is exclusive DA thing imo.

there is also interesting (modded) cleric class called Blood Minister using Bloodborne actually inspired "blood magic". Mod by DanP  https://github.com/D2-mods/The-Workshop-Kitpack

In terms of game mechanics, those vampires are weakened. When you use the holy water on the upper floor's blood pool, all of the pre-placed vampires on that floor take a -5 strength penalty and are slowed. When you do the same on the lower floor, Bodhi herself is slowed, takes -2 penalties to strength and dexterity, and loses her regeneration.

If they were just drinking the blood, you wouldn't see that sort of instant effect. There's no in-game explanation for how the whole thing works, but vampires and blood magic just go together so well...