Heya, Noober here. Question about downloads

Guest Beo

I have BG1 EE from Steam installed.  BG2, Planescape, and Icewind not yet installed. I'm replaying the games from the first time I had them over 20 years ago.

Just found this site.  It's overwhelming to see how much effort so many people have put into these great games over all that time.  It's a real testament to the passion BG inspired.  First, thank you to everyone who has contributed.  

Second, I'm certainly interested in tweaks and additions that improve the games, or fix errors, make things work consistent with the actual rules, etc.  I cannot fathom how to figure out what I should download here.  Is there a comprehensive download that combines all or all of the most important/useful changes.  maybe a short list of 4-5 most recommended downloads.  

Can anyone give me a heads up here how to go about figuring out what to use?  Thank you again to everyone who helps here.  It's amazing to see the level of dedication to the game and the players.

Beo

You can't be Noober. There is no new post for hours! :p

The EEs already come with lots of gameplay improvements and new NPCs with own quests. My rcommendation would be to play the EEs unmodded first to see the new content and features if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, modding the IE (Infinity Engine) games is not trivial with regard to install order and compatibility. This is also why there is no overall list for this. We can give recommendations but it will always come down to you having to read up in the readmes to see whether it will be to your taste (and also to look for installation hints).

Just a few things to start you off:

There is an EE Fixpack in the works here but it is not ready for release yet.

Tweaks Anthology is the biggest and best known tweak pack.

Unfinished Business for BG1 (bg1ub) restores cut content from the BG1 game. There is also Unfinished Business for BGII (UB).

Here is a pretty up-to-date mod list. It's for the (modded) platform EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy), but unless a (BG1) mod is tagged for EET-only, it should also work on BG:EE.

There is pretty nifty mod lists for EEs here, albeit in Polish: BG:EE (SoD), and BGII:EE (tagging @Cahir to make sure I'm not linking the wrong one)

Overall mod sites from G3 is here (you probably already found this), other known modding sites are Spellhold Studios (forum is currently down), Pocket Plane Group, EDIT Wesel Mods for @Lava's mods, and also Kerzenburgforum (German site where I am active).

For installing mods, there is a tutorial here. There is an automated installer called Project Infinity if you have a larger list of mods you want to install.

And, to make my recommendations complete:

Spoiler

I'll close this post with a general warning about something called the EE Mod Setup Tool. Don't use it. If you want to know the details why the community does actively discourage to use it, pop some corn and read here:

Jastey, thank you so much for the comprehensive reply.  I have a lot to do it seems, but I'll take your advice to finish as installed.  I did download the Anthology already because in my limited search it did seem to include many necessary things.  After seeing so many mods and the descriptions (restoring cut material, fixing errors etc), I got the impression that there was quite a bit that could be improved upon.

*a hearty wave to the German and Polish contingents.  I am in the US but I lived in Warsaw for 7 years (returned 22 years ago, planning to go back with the family now that the kids are grown enough to appreciate it)*