SubtleMods: SubtleD's Stat Overhauls (Stats of Balance?)

I think I'm having some issue with the "extra proficiencies for warriors per Int points" component. I think it's with that, at least. With a fighter charname of any kit, I get a use of an "Advance Weapon Proficiency" innate skill, which NI tells me it's from a d5IPRXA.spl file that I've tracked down to this mod.

The thing is that I get one (1) use of it each time I rest, level up or not. It might be five, ten, twenty times before a level up, and I keep getting new uses, although it doesn't accumulate uses each time I rest. I've tried with both a Charname and Kagain, and as long I have the party praise the gods of eternal napping, I can have any fighters (and only fighters; the readme says warriors but paladins and rangers seem to be ignored, although that may be due lack of Int) max all their proficiencies before moving on to level 2.

It also doesn't read correctly the proficiencies changed by other mods, but that's its own thing.

Could it be that any changes to proficiencies (gain rate, starting points, changed/new proficiency or styles, whatever) after this component is installed breaks its logic? I wouldn't think so, but it's the only thing that I can see related to the problem.

Edited by Connelly
On 11/19/2023 at 1:47 PM, Connelly said:

With a fighter charname of any kit, I get a use of an "Advance Weapon Proficiency" innate skill, which NI tells me it's from a d5IPRXA.spl file that I've tracked down to this mod. The thing is that I get one (1) use of it each time I rest, level up or not.

Fixed in version 1.3.2.

For anyone with the mod already installed, no need to uninstall/reinstall if you are already playing - you can fix it by installing this hotfix mod into your current game.

Installed the hotfix. I could only make a quick test, but I'm getting the innate after character creation, with no more uses after it regardless of INT points or level.

Just to be clear about what the readme says. I'm supposed to get one bonus point at character creation, then another every 9/7/5 levels only as fighter? Only for the first 9/7/5 levels and no more? Or am I wrong? Through more uses of the innate skill or directly to the proficiency/skill menu during level up?

The docs refer to the older component numbering in some cases.  Example below where 201 should probably be 110 in the new mod.  2012/2013 may need updating too.

Component 120:

Ability Score Bonus Spells for 5E-Style Casting

These components are only available if component 201 is installed. They represent options for how the ability score-based bonus spells should operate if the '5E Spellcasting' mod is installed, or a mod that uses it such as Tome & Blood's Arcanist or Might & Guile's Revised bards. With only component 201, those spellcasters will get bonus memorization slots, but no bonus casting slots. These components allow you to change that:

Component 2012: ability score bonuses increase both memorization slots and casting slots.
    Component 2013: ability score bonuses increase casting slots but do not increase memorization slots. 

I don't know where I read it, but I seem to remember that you updated the mod and now the bonus spells based on stats also applies on paladins and rangers (and druid?).

Is this the mod?

Aren't you afraid that it's going to get a bit unbalanced for paladins especially? (that's the reason I didn't download yet the latest version).

Edited by Morgoth
33 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

I don't know where I read it, but I seem to remember that you updated the mod and now the bonus spells based on stats also applies on paladins and rangers (and druid?).

Yes

Is this the mod?

Yes

Aren't you afraid that it's going to get a bit unbalanced for paladins especially? (that's the reason I didn't download yet the latest version).

Not really. Paladin/ranger spellcasting is so late and so weak that I find it annoyingly useless. Even in my games where their spellcasting comes online much earlier, at 3rd level, it still feels late, and weak. I started think about 5E’s designation of classes as “full caster” vs. “half caster” and the 2E bards and multiclasses do kind of feel like half casters. But rangers and paladins feel like one-fifth casters. This tweak gives them more uses per day of what they can already do, but what they can do is still rather weak. 

In my game, with the norm being that all arcane and divine casters and multiclasses get 5-6 low level spell slots by late BG1, rangers and paladins getting two seems extraordinarily stingy.

Another way to look at it: if giving rangers a few more 1st- and 2nd-level slots is unbalancing, then how much moreso is giving wizards extra 5th- and 6th-level slots?

That said, I can probably make it optional. I’ll put it on my to-do list. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Well, thanks. Now that I think about it, the fact that paladins can't benefit from it to take higher levels spells makes it fine. And even if they could, the impact wouldn't be so "huge" as it seemed to me before reading your post.

16 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Every STR increase from 14 to 25 (plus 18/51) is accompanied by a +1 bonus to either to-hit rolls or damage rolls. 21 and 23 give you a thac0 bonus. 

My only issue with this is that after a certain point, especially if you are a fighter, you wouldn't care about Thac0; especially when you consider that you are able to hit almost everything decently even with a Berserker 13 dualled to mage. 

Guest Rhoms

I have an issue, and I’m not sure whether it’s from this mod or not. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. On level up in BG1EE, NPC clerics lose their bonus spells. For example, at level 2, Viconia had 4 level 1 cleric spell slots. Upon reaching level 3, two spell slots disappeared. Perhaps this is an issue with the ToB-style NPCs from Tweaks Anthology. I have BG1NPC, Unfinished Business, Tweaks Anthology, SCS, and your stat overhaul mod installed in this order. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 9:59 AM, Guest Rhoms said:

I have an issue, and I’m not sure whether it’s from this mod or not. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. On level up in BG1EE, NPC clerics lose their bonus spells. For example, at level 2, Viconia had 4 level 1 cleric spell slots. Upon reaching level 3, two spell slots disappeared. Perhaps this is an issue with the ToB-style NPCs from Tweaks Anthology. I have BG1NPC, Unfinished Business, Tweaks Anthology, SCS, and your stat overhaul mod installed in this order. 

Whoops, bit of a bug uncovered here - thank you for letting me know. Fixed in v1.5.4.

For games in progress, install this hotfix mod and everything should clear up the next time an NPC levels up.

Edited by subtledoctor

On my install the above fix worked for Wisdom (though the relevant text is undisplayed), however my Favoured Soul sorcerer (Aerie in this case) does not gain the charisma related bonuses. Is that intended? Thanks in advance, and for this and many other interesting mods.

Edited by Mantis