Questions about quests

(Thread also intended to be used by other users.)

Quest: Monster in Nashkel / related journal entry: The Unknown Egg

Does the egg actually hatch? From the item description generated by the very recommendable AutoDescription I know that the unhatched egg is a very powerfull protective item, while the "disarmed" egg is garbage in comparison (from my PoV, because in my game the egg is worn by a Skald who's dedicated for high CHA).

It'd be a pity if just keeping the clearly better item has no consequences. Well, apart from me complaining about another unresolved entry in my journal.

Quest: Babysitting in Nashkel / related journal entry: (same name, thank you!)

I bullied them away in chapter 2, now playing chapter 5. Since @jastey mentioned here and also in Kerzenburgforum that she's proud of providing evil quest paths which the original mod was lacking, I've to ask if I need to be more patient or if I hit another issue in my current game?

EDIT: The babysitting quest resolved itself very smoothly sometime back in chapter 5, actually.

Edited by Lurker

I'm in chapter 7 (day 220). The quest log for "The Unknown Egg" is from chapter 4 (day 91) and mentions "the mage who was supposed to get it might be still on his way to Baldur's Gate. Maybe I should return it to him." I can't remember if I actually met this mage.

The unhatched, warm egg is still firmly attached to Imoen's head. The only disadvantage it provides is that I've to drop it to the ground any time I want to shop at Sorcerous Sundries.

I somewhat doubt that it'll hatch in this game.

@jastey D'oh. Oooooh. :blush:

I simply never would have thought that I had to actively initiate dialog for this. Which I can actually explain - it's something that I very much dislike. I call it "Dragon Age: Origins" syndrome. It's one thing to experience (...endure...) BG2 style romances ("Okay, since you actually approached me, I'll listen to you about your problems. No really, I'm totally interested!"), but in DA:O, you also have to put in active effort ("Please, I beg you, I simply cannot live without hearing about your totally interesting issues in my f*cking story".).

Call me a lazy, narcissistic cynic - I won't object... :devlook:

More seriously, since this is also my first game with BG1NPC installed which I also actually play for once, I had a talk with all party members way back, and just deleted this from my mental to-do list.

So, talking with Imoen after ~200 days of mostly ignoring her - wait, isn't this a role playing game...? - she doesn't have anything new to say, unfortunately.

Is there a reason that you mentioned talking to Imoen specifically? I mean, the reason she's wearing the egg instead of somebody else, is just for the crazy immunities (see below) which the egg provides for my walking jukebox lil' sis. Or did you per chance mix this up with Imoen's Artifact, the book which gives a temporary +1 to DEX?

1 hour ago, jastey said:

I think the timer starts after meeting the mage. So, if you never met him...

If you can point me to the respective variable(s), I'll gladly have a look at them.

From AutoDescription: C#Q04001 (Egg)

Equipped abilities: 
- Immunity to Cloudkill and Flesh to Stone spells
- Immunity to slowness, confusion, entanglement, webs, disease, paralysis and poison

@Lurker OMG, I'm so sorry - this was a misunderstanding. My Imoen remark was pure jest. There is no content with her doing anything to the egg. (But ... now that I think about it, it would be very funny if she did.)

I remembered right, though: the timer for the spider to hatch starts when you talk to the mage on the road.

You could either cheat him in:

C:CreateCreature("C#Q04007")

Or you declare the timer to have run and set by hand:

C:SetGlobal("c#q04_SpiderTimer","GLOBAL",1)

The latter should trigger the spider hatch immediately.

1 hour ago, jastey said:

OMG, I'm so sorry - this was a misunderstanding. My Imoen remark was pure jest.

All good, no harm done. Btw, I didn't realize until now that BGQE is actually one of your mods; I was somehow under the impression that you adopted it.

And I've to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that the mage didn't wave with a Goldfinger at me, threw a Thunderball around, or that the hatched spider didn't scare The Living Daylights out of my party. 🇬🇧

Indeed, my game lacks the SpiderTimer variable, and I cannot remember having either met or murdered that gentleman in red during my travels. Where's he supposed to be met?

@Lurker I think you found a loop hole. If you talk to Halbazzer, a variable is increased which makes the mage go away. This means the player never meets him and the timer never starts. 🤦‍♀️

The mage would have been at [3884.349] in Fishing Village area, but only if Global("C#Q04_WyvernDeliverer","GLOBAL",3) is at 3.

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

The Living Daylights

Now I have the Aha song in my head.

2 hours ago, jastey said:

I think you found a loop hole.

Glad to be of service, M'Lady.

Although I guess you deserve most of the credit here, since you pieced these puzzle parts together.

3 hours ago, jastey said:

Now I have the Aha song in my head.

Well, it's the theme song of that particular movie...

I think I've found that mage only once, probably because I tend to do the Fishing Village earlier than Cloakwood so I end up skipping past the place it when I need to travel to Baldur's Gate. Maybe it'd be better if he's found in a random travel encounter? That way you could ensure the player meets him. Better yet, place him at Wyrm's Crossing (along the bridge perhaps) to allow the player to ignore him but ensure they don't miss him on the way to BG.

18 hours ago, jastey said:

(But ... now that I think about it, it would be very funny if she did.)

It might just be me, but I think having Imoen interact with all kinds of items one way or another would be a rotund success, with additional comments from other characters if they're appropriate I guess. Imoen haters may complain, but then again, I'm not convinced they actually exist, or aren't just ineffectual Skynet murderbots. :7up: And more importantly, despite her rocky development she's the closest thing to a co-protagonist among all companions, so it makes special sense with her. Hell, maybe one could even do the same for ToB. Having Sarevok join in commenting on the weird crap they find may have some potential.

Imoen Romance have some examples, like complaining about why she doesn't get to wear the Robe of Vecna, or try to swindle the Ring of Kangaxx off you as a joke. Those always get a smile from me.

Edited by Connelly

Hey careful, calling it "Imoen Misdemeanors" sounds like a promise for hilarity. :_D

(Also, much better that than the brainworm I got when I finished reading a certain Halo/D&D AU crossover fic, so uh yeah why not.)

Also going off-topic here, so maybe let's leave it?

Edited by Connelly