How do I install WeiDU mods on my Steam Deck

On 11/2/2023 at 1:59 AM, Karrgoot said:

I am not skilled at linux, but I can follow idiot proof instructions. 

Sorry to phrase it this way, but stepping away from being needing treatment like an "idiot" would help you better in the long run.

I'd be a real idiot if I would assume to know every possibility of how another human might be able to mess up their environment by blindly following instructions that they don't understand. No sane person would or should take on this responsibility.

I'm sure I'm not an idiot by assuming you don't know how to compile software from source. If you're willing to change that and invest the learning effort, @mickabouille offered some directions.

Alternatively, you could stick within what options the environment on the steam deck provides to you without the need to use the AUR. I have no experience with neither the device nor the particularities of its Arch environment, but there's some common ground that can be reasonably expected for various Linux distributions.

This is intended as pointers for a "teach a man how to fish" approach. Learn how to create a filesystem inside a regular file, how to mount and how to use it.

Use the search engine of your preference to learn about

1. how to make a backup of your device (neither users nor developers are idiot proof)
    1. search hint: no backup, no mercy
  2. how to use pacman to install (ready to use, precompiled) software packages on Arch Linux based environments
  3. how to create a sparse (empty at first, but grows with usage) file
    1. search hints: dd, fallocate
  4. how to setup a loop device to "connect" your file with a device id available as/under /dev/loop*
    1. search hint: losetup
  5. how to create a filesystem which supports to be used case-insensitively; search hints:
    1. ext4 + case folding support (very unlikely to not be available by default)
    2. jfs with option -O (may also need package "jfsutils")
    3. xfs with version=ci (may also need package "xfsprogs")
  6. how to mount your new filesystem
    1. search hint: mount
  7. how to auto-mount your filesystem on every boot
    1. search hint: editing /etc/fstab

Understanding and doing this yourself will help you in the long run, compared to blindly following a detailed guide, where you never can be sure if it's correct or (unintentionally) harmful. Basic low level Linux admin skills are valuable and can be surprisingly resistant against becoming obsolete all too soon.

EDIT: The above is intended as an alternative to that horrible ciopfs crutch. Also got ninja'd and missed this:

On 11/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, mickabouille said:

- the /home partition fs has the casefolding feature active

Edited by Lurker
17 hours ago, mickabouille said:

No warranty, if you break it you get to keep both pieces.

If you've tried to install mods on you steam game (windows version) you've probably already located the game directory (probably something like ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/<game_name>)

go in the parent directory (~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ???) and create a dirextory and set +F attribute (casefolding)

mkdir tmp

chattr +F tmp

check the attribute

lsattr .

should show something like

----------------F--- ./tmp

Move all content for <game_dir> to tmp, delete the old game dir and rename the new one

mv <game_dir>/* tmp

rmdir <game_dir>

mv tmp <game_dir>

that... should do it

I will try this :)

Probably shouldn't have named it tmp

2 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

like this are why I always do my sysadmininstration with the . always explicitly specified.

I do the same but mostly with rm -Rf

(I still think I'd be saner to do the modding on your usual computer and then copy the game install, but then I'd have to explain how to copy data I guess... So I'll abstain)

5 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

mkdir ./tmp

chattr +F ./tmp

Sounds like you're trying to chattr /tmp, which is in the root folder. You shouldn't mess with that one. Reasons like this are why I always do my sysadmininstration with the . always explicitly specified.

I did it in "~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/"

5 hours ago, mickabouille said:

Probably shouldn't have named it tmp

I do the same but mostly with rm -Rf

(I still think I'd be saner to do the modding on your usual computer and then copy the game install, but then I'd have to explain how to copy data I guess... So I'll abstain)

I know how to copy over the game from my computer yo my steam deck, dut i get error meseges related to modded content... thats way I am trying to do this case sensitive thiny so I can install the mods in my steam deck via my steam deck. And I hope this will result in no error messenges.

The error messenges states "Invalid and serie of numbers"