How do I install WeiDU mods on my Steam Deck

How do I install WeiDU mods on my Steam Deck.

I dubble click as I do om my computer runing Windows, nothing happens. 

I have forced my steam deck to install baldur's gate, Windows version. And I just copy that and pasted it over my steam deck installed version. It worked like a charm but I get lite of invalid nummer on items, spells and dialog...

I am not skilled at linux, but I can follow idiot proof instructions. 

I need help, I just want my modded baldur's gate to work. I guess I need to install mods on my steam deck. But the WeiDU files vill not run when I dubble click as I do on Windows. 

10 minutes ago, Karrgoot said:

I have forced my steam deck to install baldur's gate, Windows version. And I just copy that and pasted it over my steam deck installed version. It worked like a charm but I get lite of invalid nummer on items, spells and dialog...

This is likely because you have not installed the DLC merger... https://github.com/Argent77/A7-DlcMerger/releases/tag/v1.5 Which is what you need to install to the BG1EE+SoD to install mods onto.

See https://moebiusproject.gitlab.io/mods_on_linux for starters. You will need to have to trigger bash to install mods. I'm not sure if the Steam Deck uses case-insensitive filesystems by default, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. That needs to be checked within bash. Note that the Steam Deck is just a Linux with a Steam frontend.

2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

See https://moebiusproject.gitlab.io/mods_on_linux for starters. You will need to have to trigger bash to install mods. I'm not sure if the Steam Deck uses case-insensitive filesystems by default, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. That needs to be checked within bash. Note that the Steam Deck is just a Linux with a Steam frontend.

Ok, but I have tryed thus b4 and I faild. I will try agen.

Not really an answer for @Karrgoot, sorry, but I have an incomplete answer for this:

4 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

I'm not sure if the Steam Deck uses case-insensitive filesystems by default, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does

I just got one last week. I didn't do much with it yet so it still is a bit of a mystery to me.

But I installed nwn:ee yesterday (not the steam version, the gog version from the desktop mode then added to steam as a foreign game) and tried loading the Prophet prologue mod. It didn't work first because it couldn't find prophet0.hak.

The I remember I used to need to run tolower (was it for 1.38 then?) often, then I just renamed Prophet0.hak to prophet0.hak and it worked.

So I guess casefolding is not enable globally.

But it's possible gamemode (what's shown at the console startup i.e. the intended mode of use of the console) and the desktop mode user-data (not the arch root, this one is read-only) are on different partitions with different fs options (casefolding being one).

But then when using the windows version of the games, proton should take care of the case-sensitivity issues.

I think if I wanted to play BG on the Deck (I will certainly do) and mod it, I would do the modding/installation on a computer then copy the whole game on the Deck.

EDIT: was wrong on using different partitions.

- Steam installs games in the usual (linux) location in .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common

- the /home partition fs has the casefolding feature active

- but none of the folders has the +F attribute AFAIK

Edited by mickabouille

I still don't have any first hand experience with ext4 and casefolding - and thanks to XFS and its support for CoW no real intent to get some - but this should still apply, and wasn't explicitly mentioned:

The extended file system attribute to enable casefolding must be set on an empty directory.

For ext4,

• the filesystem on the corresponding device or partition must have the feature "casefold" enabled
  • a newly created folder (meaning "must not have had any content since creation") must have support enabled by "chattr +F" (again, before adding any content)
    • deleting files and/or directories to make a folder appear empty does not work
  • chattr +F ./name_of_empty_directory

But I suspect this is all just nerd talk to the OP.

Edited by Lurker
unintentional spreading of bullshit
6 hours ago, mickabouille said:

Not really an answer for @Karrgoot, sorry, but I have an incomplete answer for this:

I just got one last week. I didn't do much with it yet so it still is a bit of a mystery to me.

But I installed nwn:ee yesterday (not the steam version, the gog version from the desktop mode then added to steam as a foreign game) and tried loading the Prophet prologue mod. It didn't work first because it couldn't find prophet0.hak.

The I remember I used to need to run tolower (was it for 1.38 then?) often, then I just renamed Prophet0.hak to prophet0.hak and it worked.

So I guess casefolding is not enable globally.

But it's possible gamemode (what's shown at the console startup i.e. the intended mode of use of the console) and the desktop mode user-data (not the arch root, this one is read-only) are on different partitions with different fs options (casefolding being one).

But then when using the windows version of the games, proton should take care of the case-sensitivity issues.

I think if I wanted to play BG on the Deck (I will certainly do) and mod it, I would do the modding/installation on a computer then copy the whole game on the Deck.

EDIT: was wrong on using different partitions.

- Steam installs games in the usual (linux) location in .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common

- the /home partition fs has the casefolding feature active

- but none of the folders has the +F attribute AFAIK

I tryed copying my modded and redy baldurs gate ee install folder from my pc to my steam deck, I woked but I get a lot of invalid number text in dialog, on items and spells. 

And yes I made sure I installed all mods in english is a always do.

If you use the "git clone" method, you need to compile it, I don't know how comfortable you are with compiling programs?

You need to have a development environment set-up. It depends on your distribution but you'll need at least gcc and probably glibc header files and (not sure aboutthis part) linux headers OR fuse specific headers.

If all this is gibberish to you, that's not the correct way to install ciopfs for you, you should use precompiled binray packages.

SUMMARY:

- If ou understood all (or maybe some) of the above: see section "Build Requirements" of  https://www.brain-dump.org/projects/ciopfs/

- else download a binary package from https://repology.org/project/ciopfs/packages (link found at the end of the same section)

- in any case, https://www.brain-dump.org/projects/ciopfs/ tells you how to use it but that's still pretty involved. That's the first part (above the "News" section and "Runtime requirements")

I'm not familiar with ciopfs and I don't use it. I have to trust people that say it works because it seems pretty unmaintained (last changes date from 11 years ago, that a compliment to FUSE stability I guess that it could still work). "Runtime requirements" mentions by name ext2/ext3 but I suppose ext4 was unknown then (or rare).

No warranty, if you break it you get to keep both pieces.

If you've tried to install mods on you steam game (windows version) you've probably already located the game directory (probably something like ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/<game_name>)

go in the parent directory (~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ ???) and create a dirextory and set +F attribute (casefolding)

mkdir tmp

chattr +F tmp

check the attribute

lsattr .

should show something like

----------------F--- ./tmp

Move all content for <game_dir> to tmp, delete the old game dir and rename the new one

mv <game_dir>/* tmp

rmdir <game_dir>

mv tmp <game_dir>

that... should do it