ADD_AREA_TYPE !

AFAIK repeating effects such as poison or opcode 272 do not fire for frozen creatures during time stop but do for the caster (I guess you can set stat 197 IMMUNE_TO_TIME_STOP). Global targets have the potential to affect creatures in other areas which is a larger drawback than a very large area of effect projectile guaranteed to cover the entire map being frozen during time stop.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:32 PM, igi said:

There was a handy discussion in the Aran Whitehand forum which made some suggestions for area types (rather than "this area was added by mod x") - 

I don't think the list works very well. What should you do if an area contains a shop, an inn and a temple? Pure temple areas are very rare. This could easily be solved using AreaCheck(). The same applies to player strongholds.

I think we should keep in mind that the main purpose of new areatypes should be to prevent existing quests from failing and to facilitate the life of modders who create NPC-quests.

On 11/2/2023 at 7:46 PM, argent77 said:

If area types are only used for scripting then using area-scope variables would provide the same effect and could even be used for more fine-grained checks. These variables could be added statically to the areas themselves like this:

That's a great approach, especially when it comes to a few "special" areas. There are problems for the creators of NPC mods who want to include compatibility with unknown quest mods that add new areas in their scripts, though. In this case, an approach with widely useable areatypes that are approved by the community would be helpful.

On 11/2/2023 at 7:16 PM, JohnBob said:

I f we add like I propose FARAWAY...

That's a great idea!

I would therefore propose that we discuss about adding two or three new area types described below, which -in my opinion- are essential for the functioning of quests:

1. FARAWAY: An area on Faerun, but too far away for many quest lines to continue. However, some could still take place to tie the areas closer to the maingame (example: Jaheira's romance)
  2. EXTRAPLANAR: An area even farer away, somewhere in the Multiverse

and, maybe:

3. UNDERDARK: A bit selfish admittedly, but I could imagine it would be good to have an areatype that is underground, but not a dungeon, (EDIT:) especially for my work, as I am creating an adventure that is mainly set in the Underdark (the Silverrealms mod).

Edited by Acifer