Wilson movement speed bug

When Wilson dies and is raised, he moves super slow.

EEKeeper shows his speed as 0 like the rest of the characters.

He doesn't have this issue when I load the save in an unmodded game. Is the faster bears component maybe messing with Wilson?
This is on 34.3

So, the thing about that component? The very first thing it does, in the current EE, is to approximately halve the base movement speed of all bear animations. Once that's done, it applies effects to double their speed; always for shapeshifts and bears that are always friendly or always hostile, only in combat for bears like the wild ones in BG1.

So, basically, it doesn't actually make any bears faster than they are in the unmodded game. It makes non-hostile wild bears slower, and that's it.

Wilson should get a permanent effect that sets his base movement speed to 8. Which is close enough to the party member standard. But if he somehow loses that effect, he'll revert to the reduced base speed (4) of the animation.

Recommended solution: don't install the "faster bears" component in the current EE. It just doesn't do anything worthwhile.

5 hours ago, jmerry said:

Recommended solution: don't install the "faster bears" component in the current EE. It just doesn't do anything worthwhile.

A matter of taste! I love the ambling bears in the BG wilderness, and their full speed movement is mismatched with their animation and makes them dance about too much. 

I agree it’s pretty trivial.

9 hours ago, jmerry said:

Any way to fix this temporarily through NI? I've strained my eyes last night poring over every entry in Wilson's creature resource sheet for my save game trying to find something related to speed, but couldn't find anything. Don't wanna use EEKeeper as that breaks too many other things.
If I uninstall the component that means 80% of SCS is getting reinstalled too and bricking my current install.
I'll pass on the component in the future though.

10 minutes ago, boof said:

Any way to fix this temporarily through NI?

Add an effect on him (Save -> pick a save -> baldur.gam -> select Wilson on the panel on the top right, go to the Edit tab on his menu, scroll down and double click on the last line, then go to the Edit tab of that new window, hit Add button at the bottom -> Effect), set opcode to 126, target to 1, timing mode to 9 (important, otherwise he'll lose it on death), and then set param1 (stat modifier) to 8, or higher if you want (I'd personally go with 10 so he isn't slower than other party members), param2 (type) to 1. I think probability 1 is naturally set to 100, but if it isn't, set that too.

1 hour ago, CrevsDaak said:

Add an effect on him (Save -> pick a save -> baldur.gam -> select Wilson on the panel on the top right, go to the Edit tab on his menu, scroll down and double click on the last line, then go to the Edit tab of that new window, hit Add button at the bottom -> Effect), set opcode to 126, target to 1, timing mode to 9 (important, otherwise he'll lose it on death), and then set param1 (stat modifier) to 8, or higher if you want (I'd personally go with 10 so he isn't slower than other party members), param2 (type) to 1. I think probability 1 is naturally set to 100, but if it isn't, set that too.

I'm not finding the param1 & 2 lines.

I've tried putting the 8 and 1 under power and value, and then under param 3 & 4, but neither did anything to change his speed.

This is what I've got so far

Right, a bit of testing. For bears that get a permanent speed boost, it's done with timing mode 1. So, I rigged up something to test opcode 126 with timing modes 1 and 9.

Second round. First time I created the effects without a target, so they didn't do anything.

Anyway, the effect with timing mode 1 was cleared by death and resurrection. The effect with timing mode 9 remained after death and resurrection. So, to cover the circumstance of bears that can be resurrected because they're in the party or something, this component should use timing mode 9 instead of timing mode 1 for those bears it permanently boosts the speed of. That's the actual bug here.

Edited by jmerry

I don't know what bears were like before. In the unmodded EE, their base speed is approximately the same as a standard humanoid's. With this component, the base speed of bears is approximately half that of a standard humanoid's, but that speed doubles either when they get mad (for wild bears) or permanently (for bears that don't change allegiance, like summons or Wilson. The net effect is that most situations you deal with bears will see them at about the same speed they are in the unmodded EE; this component's main effect in the EE is to reduce the speed of wild bears when they're not hostile. (The bug this thread is about: the permanent speed-boosting effect placed on Wilson is cleared by death and resurrection, so he comes back slow)

There are no circumstances in which a bear will outrun a humanoid PC, unless that PC is slowed somehow.

On 2/4/2024 at 5:15 PM, jmerry said:

I don't know what bears were like before. In the unmodded EE, their base speed is approximately the same as a standard humanoid's. With this component, the base speed of bears is approximately half that of a standard humanoid's, but that speed doubles either when they get mad (for wild bears) or permanently (for bears that don't change allegiance, like summons or Wilson. The net effect is that most situations you deal with bears will see them at about the same speed they are in the unmodded EE; this component's main effect in the EE is to reduce the speed of wild bears when they're not hostile.

This is intended behavior.