Stat-based saving throw bonuses repeating (bug?)

I just finished modding a game for an EET playthrough. (This particular playthrough started in SoA because I had already done BG and SoD with these characters.) I noticed in Irenicus's dungeon that all my characters have absurdly high saving throw bonuses. When I checked the characters out in eekeeper, I saw that the stat-based bonuses to saving throws had been duplicated several times.

I tried manually deleting the extra entries and that seemed to fix the problem, but it seems as though any changes to the character's inventory cause them to duplicate again.

I've attached a screenshot and WeiDU log for reference purposes (the save file is too big to attach even zipped), in case this is a bug and not user error on my end.

saving throws.jpg

WeiDU.log

I'm extremely confused as to how this is happening. If anyone can reproduce on a clean install, let me know.

(hulkamania is getting multiple applications of the spell that grants you a save bonus - but those spells are supposed to clean up after themselves, they shouldn't be able to stack like that.)

If it is any consolation, my own mod adding save bonuses for ability scores operates by applying a 6-second bonus every round, and the spell is preceded by an op321 effect to make sure there is no stacking. Nevertheless, I have seen instances of the bonuses being doubled. Which should not be possible.

Unfortunately I did not chase down the bug, and could not reproduce it reliably - I don't think it is happening anymore in my game. I can maybe check later today. But there is at least some anecdotal supporting evidence that this impossible thing can in fact happen.

I have a theory that the bonus might be mechanically correct, but the EE Record screen is actually picking it up and simply displaying the wrong values. That needs testing though, it may not be the case. EDIT - ah, I see that the OP has actually checked the bonuses in EEKeeper, so it is not just a display bug.

Edited by subtledoctor
Posted (edited)

I just used eekeeper to add in saving throw penalties that cancel out the duplicated bonuses. So the playthrough isn't broken at least. 😂

(Also, I realized it has nothing to do with changing up the inventory. It just takes a few seconds after loading a game for the duplication effect to take place, presumably because that's when the spell David mentioned kicks in.)

Edited by hulkamania
Guest helo138

For what its worth, I had exactly the same issue as hulkamania, also on EET but starting in BGEE. I installed Beta 7 at the time.

Same here with Beta 8 (EET installation, new game starting in Candlekeep). Character is multiclass and I received warnings during the installation which says that a *.2da resource was not found (received this warning for all kit installations). 

In general (and in this case) if ToF throws a warning it means a serious problem. In this case it’s a substantial EET compatibility issue. That particular issue will be fixed when I manage to get beta 9 out, though in general I’m prioritizing getting the mod stable on non-EET installs first.

I don't have much to contribute to this topic, but I have noticed that on rare occasions initial kit bonuses can be applied to a character twice on creation. I'd guess something similar is happening here, best to make sure that whatever .spl encodes such bonuses also has a timing mode 9 protection from itself if it's only meant to be applied once.

1 hour ago, polytope said:

I don't have much to contribute to this topic, but I have noticed that on rare occasions initial kit bonuses can be applied to a character twice on creation. I'd guess something similar is happening here, best to make sure that whatever .spl encodes such bonuses also has a timing mode 9 protection from itself if it's only meant to be applied once.

I also add an op318 effect blocking them from being applied at level 0, to make sure they are only applied once at level 1.

But, as these are stat-based bonuses which are presumably dynamic and responsive to score changes in-game, I assume the bug has more to do with repeating effects via 272/232.