Component 5080: improved textscreens in Tales of the Sword Coast

Hi @DavidW - I've enjoyed this component of SCS for a while, but thought it would be improved with narration. So I made this, I think it's pretty close to the original narrator.

Would you please consider integrating it into SCS? The audio level mimics the other chapter scroll narrations, and the .WAV file is the same type as produced by NI WAV exports (mono 16 bit/22.05 kHz). The only processing it needs is to be encoded into ACM for engine compatibility.

Edited by agris
fixed file link
12 minutes ago, agris said:

-he audio level mimics -

Meaning it's made with a "creative AI". Now, I am not for or against it(or I would rather lie to "be neutral"), but just that people should be informed. So it could be a separate component, or so that it provides option to use 1) the text, or 2) text + narative .. if creativity is to be taken into account.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

It's a very impressive job. But AI voicing (I assume this is AI?) is controversial enough, at least when it replicates existing actors, that I don't really want to embroil SCS in it, given it's not really the mod's main focus.

12 minutes ago, DavidW said:

It's a very impressive job. But AI voicing (I assume this is AI?) is controversial enough, at least when it replicates existing actors, that I don't really want to embroil SCS in it, given it's not really the mod's main focus.

Yeah, I trained the 11 labs model on the existing narrator. Although to @Jarno Mikkola’s points, the levels and the pacing are not AI. I pieced this together over several hours of editing, it was not plug and play.

My thinking is that this is non-commercial, both my offering of it and SCS’s distribution. But I can understand your reluctance to incorporate it.

Are you open to persuasion?

I'm not really - I'm ambivalent myself about this kind of AI but having a high-profile mod hosted at G3, and being myself part of the leadership team for G3, creates obligations to avoid stirring controversy. Sorry.

You could put it into your own mod?

No problem, it makes sense - you have responsibilities.

Maybe this will finally get me off my butt to write my house tweaks into a proper mod, instead of editing other peoples’ tp2s and associated files

I've always selected this option in SCS, but i've never seen it do anything (I probably don't know what I'm looking for).  I assume the text screens this changes are the ones when first entering Ulgoth's beard and the ones pertaining to the ship travel to Warewolf Island?