[Idea] Wear magic rings and armor--PnP style

CamDawg

I'll need someone to verify that I'm remembering PnP handling of magic armor and protection items correctly. :)

In P&P, there were no restrictions on wearing magic armor and amulets/cloaks/rings of protection. There was one limitation, though, in that only the AC bonus from one of the items was applied--if you wore armor +1, ring of protection +2, and an amulet of protection +1, you only received a net +2 bonus to your AC though all of the other protection bonuses (saving throws) still applied.

Using the same methodology as Idobek's 2H katana and bastard sword components, we can give each protection item an ability to change it to an AC-bonus-free version, allowing it to be worn with similar items in a PnP fashion. The player can select which item to use with full AC bonuses, and would not be able to wear more than one item with AC bonuses at a time.

As a time- and labor-saving measure, we'll probably only need to produce alternate versions of the Rings, Cloaks and Amulets; a total of 6 whopping items (unless there are duplicates). How many players do YOU know who are still wearing Armor+1 with their Cloak+2? Almost everyone will want the AC bonus from their Armor (which makes more sense anyway), not from their Ring.

As a time- and labor-saving measure, we'll probably only need to produce alternate versions of the Rings, Cloaks and Amulets; a total of 6 whopping items (unless there are duplicates). How many players do YOU know who are still wearing Armor+1 with their Cloak+2? Almost everyone will want the AC bonus from their Armor (which makes more sense anyway), not from their Ring.

Yes, that's what I did. :)

Archived