Posting of Stats for Elven Subraces

Caedwyr

Ok, here is the section on the stats and other details about all the elven subraces that I've listed as doable.

Note that I've redone the different sections with a more standard form and updated much of the information.

Note that the ability score ranges are prior to any racial adjustments.

Drow (Dark Elves, Il-Tel'Quessir )

Information Source: TSR 2131 The Complete Book of Elves

Encountered: Underdark, Prime Material Plane, Toril, Wildspace, Oerth

Principle Deities: Lloth, Drow Pantheon

Ability Adjustments/Score Range:

STR: 3-18 DEX: 8-20(+2) CON: 7-17(-2) INT: 9-19(+1) WIS: 3-18 CHA: 6-16(-1)

Class Options: Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Priest, Bard, Thief, Psionist, Sorcerer

Thief Skill Adjustment: PP+5%, OL -5%, MS +5%, HS +10%, Detect Noise +5%

Typical Alignment: Any

Maximum Age: 225+3d100

Movement Rate: 12

Appearance: Ebon Skin, White Hair, Red Eyes.

Special Advantages: 90' Infravsion. dancing lights, faerie fire, darkness at will. At 4th level they can also cast: levitate, know alignment, detect magic 1/day each. Drow priests can also cast clairvoyance, detect lie, suggestion, dispel magic once per day as a innate ability (seperate from what god they worship.) Drow start out 50% resistant to magic and increase by 2% per level to a maximum of 80%. Drow also recieve a +2 to all saves vs magic. +1 to Attack with Swords and Crossbows. 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells.

Disadvantages: Bright Light Causes -2 to Dexterity, Attacks, and Saving Throws. 20% experience penalty if appropriate.

If the drow spends more than two weeks away from the subterranean caverns of the Underdark, the special advantages fade at the rate of one power a day. This starts from the most powerful innate ability and works down to the least powerful. Thus, a drow priest would first lose dispel magic, followed by suggestion, clairvoyance, and detect lie. Drow magic resistance is lost at a rate of 10% per day. This process can be halted and the powers regained if the drow returns to the Underdark and spends one day there for each week spent aboveground.

Finally, all other elves hate the drow, and reactions to them are with at least a -4 penalty. This modifier is cumulative to any kits the drow player might be using. Only after a particular elf comes to accept a particular drow as a friend, does this penalty disappear.

Elf, Moon (Silver, Teu-Tel'Quessir, High)

Information Source: Elves of Evermeet/104, TSR 2131 Complete Book of Elves (look under high elf entry)

Encountered: Prime Material Plane, Toril, Wildspace

Principle Deities: Elven Pantheon

STR: 3-18 DEX: 6-19(+1) CON: 8-18 INT: 8-18 WIS: 3-17(-1) CHA: 8-18

Thief Skill Adjustment: PP+5%, OL -5%, MS +5%, HS +10%, Detect Noise +5%

Maximum Age: 500+4d100

Appearance: Ivory White with Blue Tint Skin. White, Silver-White, Blue, Black and Blond Hair. Blue or Green Flecked with Gold, and Gray Eye Color.

Special Advantages: 60' Infravsion, +1 to Attack with Swords and Bows. 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells.

Disadvantages: Optional 15% experience penalty

Sun Elf (Ar-Tel'Quessir, Gold)

Information Source: TSR 2131 The Complete Book of Elves (Look under grey elf entry), Elves of Evermeet/104

Principle Deities: Elven Pantheon

STR: 3-18 DEX: 7-19(+1) CON: 6-17(-1) INT: 8-18 WIS: 3-18 CHA: 8-18

Thief Skill Adjustment: PP+5%, OL -5%, MS +5%, HS +10%, DN +5%

Maximum Age: 600+4d100

Appearance: Bronze and Amber Skin, Copper, Golden Blonde, Black and Red Hair. Gold, Silver, Black, Copper, and Hazel Eyes.

Special Advantages: 60' Infravsion, +1 to Attack with Swords and Bows. Mage that cast light spells actually create Sunlight, 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells.

Disadvantages: Arrogant and Haughty Disposition. Causes reaction penalty with others. Optional experience penalty.

Wood Elf (Sy-Tel'Quessir, Green, Wild, Sylvan, Forest)

Information Source: Elves of Evermeet/104, TSR 2131 The Complete Book of Elves

Principle Deities: Rillifane, Elven Pantheon

STR: 6-19(+1)* DEX: 6-18(+1) CON: 8-18(-1)* INT: 8-18 WIS: 3-17(-1)* CHA: 8-18

*: Wood Elves can either take +1 dex, -1 con, or take +1 str and -1 con instead

Class Options: Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Priest, Druid, Bard, Thief, Psionist, Barbarian, Sorcerer

Maximum Age: 450+4d100

Appearance: Copper Skin with Green Tint. Brown, Black, Copper and Blonde Hair. green Brow, Hazel, and Blue Eyes.

Special Advantages: 60' Infravsion, +1 to Attack with Swords and Bows, 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells, Charm forest animals at will (no aggression when charm wears off)

Disadvantages: Cannot Find Secret Doors.

Lythari (Silver Shadows)

Information Source: Demihumans of the Realms/25, TSR 2173 Monsterous Compendium 1997 Annual Volume 4, Elves of Evermeet

Encountered: Arborea, Prime Material Plane, Toril[/u]

Principle Deities: Rillifane, Obereon, Titania (Seelie Court), Woodland Elven Deities, Elven Pantheon

STR: 6-19(+1) DEX: 6-19(+1) CON: 7-17(-1) INT: 8-18 WIS: 3-18 CHA: 7-17(-1)

Class Options: Ranger, Fighter, Barbarian, Speciality Priests of Woodland Deities, Druid

Maximum Age: 325+4d100

Movement Rate: 18 (In wolf form), 12 in Elf form

Appearance: Pale Skin, Silver Hair, Blue and Green Eyes. Wolf form is a pale gray or silver furred wolf with intelligent blue or brown eyes. A wolf-lythari leaves no impression of danger or ferocity, but rather seems friendly and companionable. An adult is the size of a small pony and might carry a man-sized ally if the need is great.

Special Advantages: 60' Infravsion (Both forms), +1 to Attack with Swords and Bows (Elf form), 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells (Both forms), Harmed only by Silver and/or Enchanted Weapons (Wolf form). Track with +6 in Wolf Form, +1/level to save vs. Illusion/Phantasms (Both forms), May Change into Wolf at will. AC 6 (Wolf form, as per normal elf in Elf form). Bite does 2d4, +3 to hit, no enchantment (Wolf form), not attacked (unless provoked) by non-evil wolves.

Disadvantages: May not wear armor. Attacked on sight by evil wolves

And for a completely wacky PC race, but doable with the animation from IWD2:

Drider

Information Source: The Drow of the Underdark/9

Encountered: Prime Material Plane, Wildspace, Toril, Underdark

Principle Deities: Lolth, Drow Pantheon

STR: 3-18(+2)* DEX: 8-20 CON: 7-17 INT: 9-19 WIS: 3-18 CHA: 1-8(-8)*

Note*: These Stats are Added after Drow Creation through Ritual Transformation.

Class Options: Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Priest, Bard, Thief, Psionist

Maximum Age: 225+3d100

Appearance: Upper Drow Torso with a Spiders Body.

Special Advantages: 120' Infravsion. Immunity to Poisons, Can Bite for 1d4 and must save vs poison at -2 or be paralyzed for 1d2 Turns. 50% to Spin a 10' Web 10/day as a Rope of Entanglement, +4 to save vs fear in Combat. Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire, and Darkness 1/day. At 4th level Levitate, Know Alignment, Detect Magic 1/day. 50 +2/level% Magic Resistance. +2 to Save Against all Magic. +1 to Attack with Swords and Crossbows.

Disadvantages: Bright Light Causes -2 to Dexterity, Attacks, and Saving Throws. Loses 20+4d10% of their Inital Magic Resistance. Must drink Blood 1/4days or take 1d6 Points of Damage.

If the drider spends more than two weeks away from the subterranean caverns of the Underdark, the special advantages fade at the rate of one power a day. This starts from the most powerful innate ability and works down to the least powerful. Thus, a drider priest would first lose dispel magic, followed by suggestion, clairvoyance, and detect lie. Drider magic resistance is lost at a rate of 10% per day. This process can be halted and the powers regained if the drider returns to the Underdark and spends one day there for each week spent aboveground.

Finally, all other elves hate the drider, and reactions to them are with at least a extremely brutal reaction penalty. To most people, they are just a nightmarish monster.

Zakharan Elf

Information Source: Arabian Adventures/20

Encountered: Prime Material Plane, Toril Principle Deities: Enlightened Pantheon

STR: 3-18 DEX: 6-19(+1) CON: 7-17(-1) INT: 8-18 WIS: 3-18 CHA: 8-18

Class Options: Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Priest, Bard, Thief, Psionist

Maximum Age: 350+4d100

Appearance: Pale non-tanning Complextion with Blonde to Jet Black Hair, and any eye color.

Special Advantages: 60' Infravsion, +1 to Attack with Swords and Bows. 90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm Spells.

Disadvantages: None.

Just FYI, from the Complete Book of Elves:

"[sun Elves in Faeren] indeed, seem more like grey elves [from elsewhere in the D&D-iverse]."

"[Moon Elvs in Faeren] more closely resemble high elves than grey elves."

So in other words, you've got them the wrong way round :D

I couldn't find that passage in my copy of TSR 2131 The Complete Book of Elves. I did however, find similar info in my copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Thanks for the catch.

If you are wondering where I found the info for Rockseekers, check out TSR 2166 Monstrous Compendium Vol III.

I got the Lythari Info from TSR 2173 Monsterous Compendium 1997 Annual Volume 4, TSR 11316 Demi-humans of the realms, and Elves of Evermeet (I think I might have found some more info on them somewhere else as well, I'll try to remember where).

I couldn't find that passage in my copy of TSR 2131 The Complete Book of Elves. I did however, find similar info in my copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

In chapter 2: "Variations on a Theme", after the descriptions of each of the subraces there's a section called "Elves of the Worlds". It lists all the different Elves in each of the D&D settings of the time: Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Spelljammer. It's a shame they didn't include this in the the other Complete Books of :D

Just as a curiosity question, will the gameplay differ if you are a drow? Obviosuly, commoners won't ignore a drow in Athkatla nor will any of the surface creatures.

Drow, like f.ex. Duergar, are one of the subraces we most likely won't be including. Unless we find someone who's willing to re-write thousands of dialogues to suit these races... :D

I discovered that the Rockseekers were native to only Oreth (the world of Greyhawk). Now, Oreth and Toril have lots of contact, since pretty much all of the named spells were created on Oreth, so there is a potential reason for letting Greyhawk natives show up on Toril. In the end it is up to NIGHTMARE and Andyr. If they want the Rockseeker back, I'll put it back up.

Just as a curiosity question, will the gameplay differ if you are a drow? Obviosuly, commoners won't ignore a drow in Athkatla nor will any of the surface creatures.

-Galactygon

As NiGHTMARE said, for reasons like that I don't think we'll be including Drow.

Note that Caedwyr is not actually working on the project, just being a helpful (and much appreciated) source of information. :D

When we have a more definite list of subraces and abilities, I'm sure it'll get posted somewhere.

The Dark Elves Its just something im working on in my freetime but people who were intrested in the idea from above may want to check it out. Also if possible I would like to know what method you are using for subraces so i could make it compatible.

and...

some of these races have an optional xp penality. I'm guessing this is meant to be the dm's option, but how will it work in the mod.

Guest Ellderon

Nice one...alltough I like elves to be more elvish..

Personally, I made the basic elf modifiers like this:

-1 STR

-1 CONST

+2 DEX

+1 INT

Oh..and 1% magic resist per level (starting with 0).

For the Drow, 2% magic resistance per level (starting with 10 or allso 0)

And for a Dwarf:

-2 DEX

-1 CHA

+2 CONST

+1 STR

And yes..I would like to oofer my humbe services and misely skills...

Just for the record.. A comprehensive list of what I've done so far (for my BG2):

- made tons of new items

- changed most of creatures in game (like ALL the elves in Sundelessanar - gave them better stats and elven equipment and 10% magic resitance, Leithain and Hendak, more or less all more memorable charachters)

- made all weapons usable by any class...done the same for all armor

- changed the way armor works - insted of increasing AC (magicl ones still do that) they have damage reduction (up to 70% for Full Plate) and casting speed reduction

I'm currently experimenting with ading new NPC's...

I jsut tought of something..

Why are you looking for reference on race stats in the big book of elves.

This is a MOD - nothing in here isn't official or has to be aprovved by someone. You make custom areas, custom kits, custom quests - why not take more freedom with the races too? Mold the subrace stats as you see fit.

Make the elven subraces more different than just hair colour.

See my stats above? play with them a bit and you can get some thing like this:

Gold Elves:

-1 STR

-1 CONST

+2 DEX

+1 INT

1% magic resist per level (starting with 5).

Wood Elves

-1 STR

-1 CONST

+3 DEX

Moon Elves:

-1 STR

-1 CONST

+1 DEX

+2 INT

Using your own stats causes more problems than it solves (not that there are any problems with using the official stats).

First, you have to spend time making sure they're all balanced, so that one subrace isn't vastly superior or inferior to the others. Considering other people have already spent time balancing them for us, it seems quite a waste of time.

Second, remember that people complain about everything. Even the most minor of changes to the game will cause whining. At least if these changes are based on official stats you can simply say "go read a D&D manual" rather than get into balancing arguments ???.

You could take the argument one step further - no-one ever plays gnomes, right? Let's dump them, and replace them with the Kitarii, a kick-arse race of cat people. Hmm, no such race exists in D&D? So what, this is an unofficial mod, we can do whatever we like! Oops - we just caused a large number of people to not want to ever play the mod :groucho:.

First - you don't have argument your changes to anyone - it's your mod. If they want something they should either politely ask or learn to mod themselves.

Second - if your mod is good, people will play it even if you kick the gnoes out (Alltough I wouldn't reccomend it)

Third - the subraces as I've put them are balanced(mathematicly). No sub-race has extra skill points or anything. I balanced 20 games so far (Darn re-balance packs) to the smallest of detail. If there's anything I'm good at, it's balancing...

fourth - it was just a suggestion. Alltough I think it's a good one. I allways found all elves in FR too....weak? lame? not elivsh enough?

Archived