Weak druids

yarpen

Animal and plant spells currently make for a combined total of 14 spells, none of which can be considered especially powerful. Every cleric with access to them also has access to other spells which are just as good if not better, so preventing them from casting animal and plant spells really wouldn't have much effect on reducing their power.

Besides, if a class is too weak, the solution is to add to that class, not take away from another class. If druids are indeed too weak (highly debatable - remember they can now cast Protection from Good/Evil, False Dawn, Sol's Searing Orb, Sunray and Gate), we will have to look at some other way to improve them. More spells is one idea (not neccessarily animal or plant spells either - you seem to have overlooked the spheres of all, elemental, healing, sun and weather :)), but we could also look at giving them more/improved innate abilities or resistances, or better shapechanging.

Also note that all DR spheres assignments are taken directly from pnp (with the sole of exception of the ranger), so they weren't just something we invented from the top of our heads or plucked from thin air. For the most part, the spheres fit the portfolio of the god (e.g. a priest of a god of spring and renewal should most definitely be able to cast spells from the plant sphere).

Besides, if a class is too weak, the solution is to add to that class, not take away from another class.

Agreed.

If druids are indeed too weak (highly debatable - remember they can now cast Protection from Good/Evil, False Dawn, Sol's Searing Orb, Sunray and Gate), we will have to look at some other way to improve them.

Why in the hells would Druids be able to cast Gate?

Natural Selection strenghens the Druid... hehe. Sorry, had to plug my own stuff... I am working on compatibility with Divine Remix but having some problems. I have been slowly absorbing (and learning some new tricks from!) the Divine Remix tp2. If I want to make a kit compatible with DR, is the best method to detect DR and, if detected, alter the kit's CLAB to include the basic DR selection of spells? The disadvantage with such an approach would be that I would have to update NS each time that your team alters the Druid spell selection. If, on the other hand, I inform the user to install my mod before DR, then DR Druid kits won't receive the perks granted to other Druid kits. NS (and D-Tweak) is being recoded from the ground up with some new techniques (interactive stuff, FOR loops [which I just learned yesterday!], so now would be a good time to update it for compatibility.

a Wounded Lion

:)

Because Gate is supposed to be able to summon almost any type of creature the caster wishes, not just Pit Fiends. That would be rather time consuming to implement, but I do plan to make the type of creature summoned depend on the caster's alignment and/or class.

Because Gate is supposed to be able to summon almost any type of creature the caster wishes, not just Pit Fiends.

What creatures would be summoned by Neutral/Good Mages/Clerics/Druids? Without overriding those classes' HLA summons, that is? Pre-Tactics Pit Fiends may be without spells, but they're still pretty nasty.

These are the possibilities I've come up with so far:

LG = Guardian Naga*

NG = Moon Dog

CG = Treant**

LN = Spectator Beholder

N = Neo-Otyugh or Shambling Mound

CN = Marid

LE = Pit Fiend

NE = Dao or Crimson Mist

CE = Balor or Marilith

* Would use the green Yuan-ti avatar

** Would obviously require the IWD2 treant avatar

Guest Belboz

IIRC, the pit fiend Gated in by the standard version of the spell is hostile to *everyone*, summoner included, who doesn't throw up a "protection from evil". Seems weird to do that to a guardian naga summoned by a LG caster, but on the other hand, you don't want the spell to be more powerful for good characters than for evil ones. And making *all* summoned creatures friendly would up the power of the spell a lot--make it look much more like "Summon (Fallen) Deva", a HLA.

How would you handle this?

Archived